The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Judging bias

If you are in this game long enough, you will see some strange results at the end of trials. Some are accidental, some not so much. This is debated here often... Doesn't matter your background. Take a look at Bon's signature line. Pretty true statement by Lanse.
    Bill Davis

Anyone with decades or more in the dog games will have their stories. When I first started running hunt tests in the 1980's I was given a zero in trainability because I lined the blind. It was changed by the co-judge. I had a fourth place in a field trial open all-age stake in the fifth series to break the tie for a winner, guess who was in the running for the win? Dog got out 10 feet too early on the water blind, ran down the shore and they only awarded three places. I received nothing. There are many more would sound like sour grapes could fill up a legal pad page or two. Had some gifts too, judges fell asleep on a water blind , closed eyes and all. Dog disappeared in the tules, dog came out, judges woke up, said oh she got the bird. Figured I was out, dog was out of sight for awhile. Started to drive down the road, marshal called out that I was back for the water marks. She won the Amateur all-age stake after pounding the water marks. It goes on...others have the same stories I am sure like Lanse Brown's signature line. Make note, deal the hand that your dealt and move on or get out of the game and take up golf. Judging is not an exact science even though crunching numbers sometimes has become the norm in hunt tests. My opinion only.
    Earl Dillow

"Make note, deal the hand that your dealt and move on or get out of the game and take up golf. Judging is not an exact science even though crunching numbers sometimes has become the norm in hunt tests. My opinion only."

And your opinion is spot on. Guess that's why I enjoyed judging with you. Hope to do so again.

Bob Swift

When you thought you did well and did not win it is easier to blame the judges than to look into the mirror.

Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar

The really successful handlers ( mostly) are humble, dedicated folks working to get thier team better.
    My opinion

very well said Dave
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three
    Sundown's Boss of Delta Marsh JH (Louie QAA X Delta MH)
    Traveling Through The Graded Timber JH (2012 NAFC Trav X Timber MH QAA)

Sundown's Ruff And Tuff (Boss JH X Lil Bit) best pup I have ever raised
    Home of HRCH Sundown's Loaded To The Maxx (FC AFC Jamie X Dixie QAA) RIP
    www.sundownlabs.com

If I saw Angelina Jolie walking down the street and I noticed she had a pimple on her forehead. I probably wouldn't spend much time focusing on that.
    NAFTCH FTCH AFTCH Mjolnir Bluebill Of Allanport
    Flatlands Bayduck of Allanport
    Dakota Creek Teal of Allanport

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    When you thought you did well and did not win it is easier to blame the judges than to look into the mirror.
    Very true and well said. Most everyone doesn't see all the dog work in a stake nor do they have the birds eye view of the judges. We all tend to look closely at our results, good/bad, and not give enough attention to the rest of the field.
    An armed man is a citizen
    An unarmed man is a subject

I'm like most who have run FTs for a while. You get less than you think you should on occasion & get more credit than you think you should other times, but most times you get just what you earned. I've won a couple of times when I thought I was behind some dogs. I have not won when I thought my dog was the best. But most times I get just what I should. As for what handlers, owners & spectators sometimes question in terms of a winner can come from a dog that hammers the 4th but those in attendance didn't see the performances in the 1st-3rd to get the complete picture. The answer is to train diligently, be as prepared as possible, then do your best & leave the judging to the judges who are doing their best to get placements right. Some have mentioned what I think most relative new comers don't seem to understand immediately & that is how to run a good the water blind.
    David Didier, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Luke T View Post
    I ran a derby where one of the amateurs that was running was friends with the judge and helped marshal. His dog had fairly large hints on every mark in the derby and that dog got 4th and should have a jam at best. There is politics in everything, you hope it doesn't affect placings but it does. There definitely is a buddy buddy system in field trial judging.... Disclaimer: I have only been around a short time so maybe it was just the couple I watched but I even over heard people in gallery comment on that dog has had big hunts on every bird and cheated water but will probably place because he was friends with judge. Was even standing up with judges while they were picking marks
    I'm sorry you had such bad experiences in the few trials you have run, I think that has skewed your perception a bit. I know there are some dishonest judges out there that will give a buddy an undeserved placement, but I believe they are more rare than you perceive. I know that I have received a few greenies where I and others in the gallery thought a placement was in order, but I'll tell you from a judges perspective, once you get past the first two or three placements, separating fourth from the RJ and best of the JAMs is very difficult. You are in essence weighing faults on different marks and blinds trying to figure out better work amongst dogs that can be very close.

Some times your the windshield. Sometimes the bug.

While it happens, I would wager that most every person sitting in a chair for the weekend tries to do right by each and every dog and handler and not skew things unfairly.

And many times a handler has a slightly different view of the actual work in front of him/her than the judges. And let us not forget, there are 2 people coming up with the numbers and placements.

As far as an actual FT/HT bias: In my VERY limited experience with FT's vs HT's, the level of quality and expectations of a FTer vs a HTer are vast and IMO the main reason that the HTer does poorly in a FT.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!