The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Judging bias

This thread gives one the impression that politics and screwings are rampant in FTs. I have been running FTs for 8 years and can think of only one trial that we got a jam when I thought we should have placed in a Q. I can think of more times that we placed and I thought we might have been dropped on the water blind if I'd been judging. Maybe politics is more prevalent in other areas but I've just not seen it.

In FTs there are many variables that can affect your success. Lighting,changes in visibility, whether you run early, wind changes, tests set ups that favor your dogs strengths( or not )are all things I find much more important to our success at a given trial than politics.

Most FT folks I know of don't measure success with the results of one trial. They run multiple trials and hope for success in one or more. As time goes on you hope your percentage of successful trials increases but you always know the variables are part of the sport. It seems to me after judging quite a few minor stakes that quite a few hunt testers try ONE trial and base their opinions on success or not in that single experience where they don't always know what is expected moving from HT to FTs.

If you want to know how your dog stacks up don't just run one trial.....enter several, train with folks that know what's expected, come to the line, hope the stars align ,and maybe things work out to get a colored ribbon.

Right on #92 -

And don't enter a drag race with your pinto. Soup it up a bit first.
    NAFTCH FTCH AFTCH Mjolnir Bluebill Of Allanport
    Flatlands Bayduck of Allanport
    Dakota Creek Teal of Allanport

Having worked many FTs, I do not know a single person other than the judges that watch each and every dog, plus take notes on their performance in order to even begin to second guess placements, let alone determine any bias? And even if a person did this, unless they sit on the line, they have no clue about the details of what is happening. Every trial I've been to, the contestants and all the workers are busy and not paying attention.

I think over the long haul, you get some breaks and you take some lumps, but in the end, it all evens out.

FOM
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

This thread is a huge disappointment because once again field trialers get portrayed as evil dog-cheating elitists by people who haven't paid their dues, which means being a student of the game. Taking your lumps is a lesson.... if one spent half as much time learning what constitutes a stellar performance in a field trial rather than b**^tching and moaning about being screwed, you would be far ahead. If you feel you have been screwed weekend after weekend, then it's time to take off the rose colored glasses and look in the mirror. It's time to ask someone with knowledge to assess where you Are at. It's time to re-look at your videos which show a hard working volunteer contemporaneously drawing in their book while the dog is running.

While there are a few bad apples, like in any competitive sport, most people try to do right by these amazing creatures that work their hearts out for us. I have met some very fine people in this sport, and if you choose not to partake, it will be your loss.....
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

I find it amusing that years ago, when I said that newcomers need to earn respect, Susan and Lainee jumped all over me. And now?
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post
    I find it amusing that years ago, when I said that newcomers need to earn respect, Susan and Lainee jumped all over me. And now?
    Bull. Everyone comes with the respect due to any human being. And, neither Lainee or i ever whined on the internet for repeatedly getting green ribbons. I think our definitions are quite different. Get over yourself. That has never changed.

I still find it amusing that some people don't recognize that the game is bigger than they are, regards-
    Last edited by JusticeDog; 07-23-2014 at 12:19 AM.
    Susan

Susan you crack me up. Everyone gets respect as a human being. You earn respect as a competitor. You didn't understand it then. You espouse it now. Take a look in the mirror dear.
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post
    Susan you crack me up. Everyone gets respect as a human being. You earn respect as a competitor. You didn't understand it then. You espouse it now. Take a look in the mirror dear.
    Ted, go pound sand. You didn't "get it" years ago and you still don't. Actions speak louder than words "dear" and my vision is very very clear because I have "seen" a whole host of actions with my 20/20 vision. I have always had true respect for a good competitor. I don't have respect for those who claim to be or only do the right thing when it benefits themselves personally. Maybe some people just need new glasses.

More for my amusement file, regards.
    Susan

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    This thread is a huge disappointment because once again field trialers get portrayed as evil dog-cheating elitists by people who haven't paid their dues, which means being a student of the game. Taking your lumps is a lesson.... if one spent half as much time learning what constitutes a stellar performance in a field trial rather than b**^tching and moaning about being screwed, you would be far ahead. If you feel you have been screwed weekend after weekend, then it's time to take off the rose colored glasses and look in the mirror. It's time to ask someone with knowledge to assess where you Are at. It's time to re-look at your videos which show a hard working volunteer contemporaneously drawing in their book while the dog is running.

While there are a few bad apples, like in any competitive sport, most people try to do right by these amazing creatures that work their hearts out for us. I have met some very fine people in this sport, and if you choose not to partake, it will be your loss.....

Just curious, how much hunting time does your dog see and much training have you done yourself? Seems if you live in Chicago not many ducks hunts there nor training grounds. I say the same, if you choose not to train nor hunt your loss....and your dogs loss. They were bred to hunt and I sure enjoy training myself, the bond I have with my dog cannot be matched if my dogs live on a pro's truck.

Seems the field trial folk only need to get together with some drinks and we have an old fashion bar brawl!