The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Judging bias

Quote Originally Posted by No Drive View Post
    Bill don't mean to offend you, remember I am a hunter not a trial gypsy. I pheasant as much as snow/canada goose hunt. Pheasant hunting my dogs does it all, auto pilot I just shoot, and badly at that! She produces the birds with NO handling raw drive and talent. Duck hunting not so much, mostly blind retrieves so she relies on me as a team as you say. This trail game seems to riddled with politics, whining, and excuses why someone didn't place were they thought they should have.

I prefer the potholes and pheasant fields none of that occurs there, I have learned much form field trial people and all of my dogs are NFC FC AFC bred so appreciate what it takes to get there. Just seems the fun doesn't drive most folks in hunt test/trials thats my only point. Trials seem much more like the Kentucky derby with the hats on women who don't hunt, men who have the cigars bragging on their latest stock reports, the only thing missing is the mint julep!
    I live for my dogs, the training, the hunting, the test, all of it and sending my dogs off to a pro (if I could afford it, then would have to hunt less!) I would loose all of the joy form me in order to say I won! I can't replace my dogs squealing to like puppy when they see the shotgun go into the truck and the dekes in the trailer, pricless.
    No Drive, I just read this post and would like to comment. Field Trials and Hunting; I do both. I've had the same hunting buddy for 21 years, he hand carves the decoys, I supply the well trained dogs and we both build our duck boats from scratch. I help him and he helps me on the builds. We hunt local waters 2-3 times a week, take one obligatory trip to Freezeout Lake each season and three or more other pheasant hunts in Eastern Montana, so I totally get your "priceless" comment about a great hunt with your dog. That said going series by series in a field trial with top quality work each series is a rush like no other. Standing at the tailgate at the end of the day with a small group of competitors as they pass by your number naming first the JAMs, RJ and lower placements, meaning you placed high or won is right up there with those memorable hunts you mentioned.

Sure there are disgruntled handlers from time to time, but overall the atmosphere at a field trial is relaxed and fun, (especially Canadian trials ). Regardless nobody is forcing you to enter field trials, it is super hard work and for the most part pretty thankless, but those few times you do well and place makes it all worthwhile for some of us. The great thing about our dog sports is the dogs don't care whether they are running AKC HT, NAHRA, HRC or field trials, they love it all and they love hunting best of all. Do whatever you want, just try not to insult other venues when you don't really know what they are all about.

Don't call me Shirley. Anyone remember that line?
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    Exactly...

I was thinking as I was reading Glenda's post... All those folks helped you along the way because you are YOU... Anyone ever see Glenda without a smile on her face?

I believe it's referred to as "phase 3."

1. learning
    2. know it all
    3. learning and taking it to a new level
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    No Drive, I just read this post and would like to comment. Field Trials and Hunting; I do both. I've had the same hunting buddy for 21 years, he hand carves the decoys, I supply the well trained dogs and we both build our duck boats from scratch. I help him and he helps me on the builds. We hunt local waters 2-3 times a week, take one obligatory trip to Freezeout Lake each season and three or more other pheasant hunts in Eastern Montana, so I totally get your "priceless" comment about a great hunt with your dog. That said going series by series in a field trial with top quality work each series is a rush like no other. Standing at the tailgate at the end of the day with a small group of competitors as they pass by your number naming first the JAMs, RJ and lower placements, meaning you placed high or won is right up there with those memorable hunts you mentioned.

Sure there are disgruntled handlers from time to time, but overall the atmosphere at a field trial is relaxed and fun, (especially Canadian trials ). Regardless nobody is forcing you to enter field trials, it is super hard work and for the most part pretty thankless, but those few times you do well and place makes it all worthwhile for some of us. The great thing about our dog sports is the dogs don't care whether they are running AKC HT, NAHRA, HRC or field trials, they love it all and they love hunting best of all. Do whatever you want, just try not to insult other venues when you don't really know what they are all about.
    If you would have read my posts the trials I have helped be a bird boy or ran my dog have all been positive, no I did not place,nor will I ever likely too. As a note top field trial competitor said to me, "ain't got the time to take off training/competing nor want to give my dog bad habits by hunting him" That being said I will never be at that level with my dog, I pheasant hunt them too hard. The Qual is within reach but above that doubt it for me.

Don't know what I posted where you remotely get that I insulted other venues, please read before you post, MY DOGS ARE OUT OF FC dogs, I appreciate the tops dogs in trials hence I have paid a pretty good price to get dogs directly out of Ranger and NFC Boo. No need for you to look for a fight when no one is interested most of all me in slinging mud anywhere.

Time to just leave him be... Seems he doesn't comprehend his own posts.🙈🙉🙊
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by No Drive View Post
    Also I am glad you think you got good hunting in liberal ultra gun control state Ill, that way you can leave the hunting alone here in North Dakota. My dog retrieves more birds on one day of snow goose hunting then most will in 5 seasons hunting in Ill.

For the record I have been to more then just a "few" trials, worked many of them. Maybe you should hunt a day or two where I do, then you would know what you are talking about when it comes to hunting.

Enjoy your dogs,
    Wow. ..........
    Short sighted arrogance to an extreme.

Will your dogs seat on a duck?
    NAFTCH FTCH AFTCH Mjolnir Bluebill Of Allanport
    Flatlands Bayduck of Allanport
    Dakota Creek Teal of Allanport

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post

Sure there are disgruntled handlers from time to time, but overall the atmosphere at a field trial is relaxed and fun, (especially Canadian trials ).
    Hey thanks John!! We do have an awful lot of fun! ...........sometimes we have too much fun.
    Deb
    Shekko Raven Of Brunlea SH "Raven" 1999-2011 forever loved & never forgotten
    Heads Up General Montgomery MH QAA "Monty" 2002-
    Can FC AFC Maralan's Kids Wanna Rock "Rocky" 2006-
    High Point Open / All-Age 2013
    Wynflat's Dark Side Of The Moon "Floyd" 2011
    High Point Junior 2013 and Can AFC @ 2.5 years

welcome back backwater

Quote Originally Posted by bjoiner View Post
    Saw a post on FaceBook regarding field trial judging bias and how HT people have no or little chance of winning or placing. Personally, I haven't seen it. The field trails I have been at and watched all of the dogs, the dog that I thought won did end up winning, and the placements were pretty close as well.

I wonder if that perception is a lack of understanding due to the difference in judging between the two types of events. To me HT judges put a lot more emphasis on blinds and seem they use the blind as their only manner to eliminate dogs. It may be due to limited distances on marks or lack of knowledge on placing marks. FT judging emphasizes marks (consistent with the rules). I have seen HT folks in the gallery say, "That dogs marks were better, but my dogs blind was better." To me that shows a lack of understanding. What are your thoughts?

Also there seems to be some selective memory of all handlers regarding their and other dogs.

PS. Please no names of judges or events if you use an example.
    Boy. I wish I had not started this post. I apologize to all that have been offended by anyone's post.
    Bubba Joiner

HRCH UH Ridgewood's Georgia Dawg (500 point club)
    HRCH Ridgewood's Gold II
    HRCH Hold My Beer & Watch This
    Hope She's A Duk Dawg

Quote Originally Posted by bjoiner View Post
    Boy. I wish I had not started this post. I apologize to all that have been offended by anyone's post.
    Actually that you brought it to the attention of the retriever community is a good not a bad thing.