The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Judging bias

Quote Originally Posted by bjoiner View Post
    Boy. I wish I had not started this post. I apologize to all that have been offended by anyone's post.
    You asked some good questions... We blew it up from there...
    Bill Davis

Who was that masked man?
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    Exactly...

I was thinking as I was reading Glenda's post... All those folks helped you along the way because you are YOU... Anyone ever see Glenda without a smile on her face?
    I don't know Glenda. But, am sure that is true.
    I would like to add....Many FTers are willing to help new people. But only to those who are willing to help themselves.
    Like Glenda...
    Charlotte Kaiser: " The Problem Lies In The Talent."

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    Don't call me Shirley. Anyone remember that line?
    Classic from "Airplane".
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Haven't read all the posts however IF a Judge has any kind of bias or prejudice, and/or shows favoritism to one over another THEY shouldn't be behind the book!
    Every entry should just be a number until placements or HT judgments made.

Greg Lee
    Timberpond Retrievers

I think the bias part has been beat to death and I agree with most, there is a little bit of bias here and there but 99% of the time judges try to be fair and are great people. Sometimes they make decisions that you don't agree with, I have been on both sides of that, both placed high then I though and lower but in both cases it always seemed in the realm of fair to me.

However, getting away from all that, I think there is some room for improvement. First, in reading the AKC rules they have alwys seemed vague to me. I have always thought that they should be a little clearer. Same with the actual scoring. If it was broken down abit more I think it might increase consistancy in placements. You cannot define every little thing but a little more structure I think might help and communicate that to the handlers so they have a clear understanding of what is going on.

Glad someone mentioned the rule book. I can't speak for the AKC rules but the CKC rules for setting up the tests are pretty vague. The one section that does lay out specifics is the Classification of Faults, lists minor, moderate and major faults. You also need to remember that a series of minor faults builds into a moderate and then on into a major. From the judge's seat you are seeing all of this. Handlers need to understand that it is not just the dog running out to pick up the bird but also all of the training that goes into forming a partnership.

I think people like nodrive use "my dog is a hunting dog" as an excuse to not run trials or tests. there is nothing wrong with meat dogs Ive several until last year when the bug bit me. I think its unfair and wrong for people like nodrive to come out here and bash people and start running there mouths to people who have been in the game or helped the game or breed of retrievers in anyways. Being a newcomer to the sport I have to say that I have met some of the nicest people I have ever met and I feel have made some very close friends. My dog also hunts, his first duck hunt was at 7 months old and was pheasant hunted regularly and will again this year. Field trials are a bonus for me and I love every minute of the training and spending time with my dog. Ive learned that in this sport(in the short time ive been in it), a person needs humility. I just want to say thank you to people like justicedog, eda, huntinman and many more for keeping the sport a live and strong for us young newcomers who love running dogs and training. One of my favorite things is hearing some of the stories for some of the oldtimers that have forgotten more then ill ever know. If nodrive had a clue he would show some respect and maybe try and learn a thing or two

Every Judge is not the same, they all have differences in what they see and like. All we can do is run and just be proud of the hard work that our teammate has accomplished. Yeah of course we all feel at times that we didn't get a fair shake, but it is what it is. Its how we deal with it that makes the difference. In the field trial game if you step on all the birds you are more than likely getting color, so thats what we train to do. Tripping over every bird will more than likely get blue every time period. I had an older wise gentleman tell me once that, "At the end of the day just be proud of your dog, don't let someone take that away from you." If you are taking home color every trial than you are doing something right. Keep running until you can't be denied what you deserve!! Good luck to all.

Danny Haas

WBFs Man On The Stand "Maestro"