The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Judging bias

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    With all due respect Susan, your reply to the facebook post only proves the point of the original poster.

Get in the game and pay some dues? People look differently when you might be judging them?

That's the kind of talk that supports people's theories (most of which are really false). I've heard the same thing from plenty of amateur field trialers that were beaten by an established pro as well.

By and large I think the best dog/handler team wins every weekend. There will never be a world without bias but I think those patterns become apparent very quickly.

Mostly, I think people who don't run trials and complain about politics are just looking for an excuse not to get out and lose every weekend for the first 100 weekends they run.

When 4 out of 75-100 dogs a week get a placement, odds are 90+% are gonna lose. You have to accept that to play and most people don't have the stomach for those odds.

There are a ton of people on our local circuit that run week after week and rarely if ever place. They do it because they love and it and one day... they will be in the ribbons.

It's no different than shooting sporting clays, some days I have a good day and my partners (who are all better shots than me) have a bad one and guess what? I win! Most of the time though, I have to settle for taking the clinic they put on every Sunday. It's OK. I love it. If I had to win every week I wouldn't be able to play.
    Actually it doesn't Darrin. The point is, let people get to know you and vice versa. The things I mentioned show you're serious, want to help and want to learn, and give back to the sport. Not just be an internet know it all. If 2 dogs do exactly the same work, which dog will you pick? Your friend's dog, or the club member that works his behind off, or the one you don't know? What is human nature? Did you read the statement in red? More people try to do the right thing than not, but if you only want to show up once or twice and whine, then you will never learn what it is that judge's expect.

To make the comment that you do, just goes to show the bias you have. And that you don't really understand the game.

There are some of us to realize that the dogs have no choice regarding who owns them or brings them to line.
    Last edited by JusticeDog; 07-21-2014 at 10:19 PM.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by vanman View Post
    .He gave me these words of wisdom after I started running all age stakes and I'll never forget them." If u win or place , thank the judges and go home.If u think u got screwed , thank the judges and go home because a:sooner or later it will come your way and b:nothing u say will change the outcome.U have to have a measure of thick skin to play the trial game and if u don't, u won't b around long."Came from a guy with over 50 yrs training dogs and running field trials.I'll never forget those words
    Wise words. It is easy to sit back and dismiss a whole group of people. Without ever having really participated.

You don't have to go right home. You can go have a beer or two with your friends first.
    Last edited by JusticeDog; 07-21-2014 at 10:16 PM.
    Susan

Quote Originally Posted by thebigcat View Post
    Video doesn't lie Ed. Dogs that hooked the gunner won and dogs that went straight to the bird without a hunt didn't place. How can we collectively make judging more objective?
    What happened on the other seven birds?
    Susan

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    You talking about a derby?
    Yes. They are. The trouble is, some people think that hooking a gun in a derby is a mortal sin. Some people just judge the Mark, not the lines. Devote enough time to the sport, and you learn what certain judges like and don't like.
    Susan

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    What happened on the other seven birds?
    All marks are on video Susan. You know better than that, a derby isn't a one mark trial.

All marks are on video Susan. You know better than that, a derby isn't a one mark trial.
    I asked a question. You only gave the example of one bird, didn't you? You never mentioned what happened on the other seven birds.
    Susan

Help me out a little, because I'm too lazy..... I'm looking for the section in the rule book regarding "hooked guns". Thanks.
    Last edited by J Hoggatt; 07-21-2014 at 10:26 PM. Reason: grammar
    Attributed to Ben Franklin-
    "Don't Argue with Stupid People..... They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience!"

"When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others. It is the same when you are stupid."

"Arguing with Idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon..... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to sh$t on the board and strut around like it won anyway."

Yes. They are. The trouble is, some people think that hooking a gun in a derby is a mortal sin. Some people just judge the Mark, not the lines. Devote enough time to the sport, and you learn what certain judges like and don't like.
    What judges "like" versus "don't like" shouldn't be taken into consideration and is frankly irrelevant when judging talent. It's about the dog work, not who donates a a bird thrower, trains with the judges or donates land to compete on. I'm sure more undergrads would go to the Illinois Institute of Technology to complete their law degree if they knew that you could gain acceptance by being a steward of the game.

I asked a question. You only gave the example of one bird, didn't you? You never mentioned what happened on the other seven birds.
    Ignorance is bliss isn't it? Next time I'll pluralize gun and bird.

What judges "like" versus "don't like" shouldn't be taken into consideration and is frankly irrelevant when judging talent. It's about the dog work, not who donates a a bird thrower, trains with the judges or donates land to compete on. I'm sure more undergrads would go to the Illinois Institute of Technology to complete their law degree if they knew that you could gain acceptance by being a steward of the game.
    The rule book is open to interpretation. Maybe that's what some people don't understand as well. So instead of hiding behind a handle taking pot shots at my profession (and my law degree does not say IIT) , why don't you come out of the proverbial closet and tell us who you really are. Are you the dogs owner? Or just a friend of the trainer?

I got a discussion of the other seven birds are just irrelevant. It seems to be focusing around one bird.
    Susan