RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Pup has tooth coming in with baby tooth

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  augunner 
#1 ·
My 6 month old pup is almost done teething. He has one of his puppy canines left and the adult tooth is coming in as well. It looks kind of bad. Should I try to help him out by pulling it or having a vet pull it? Or should I just let it fall out on its own?

#3 ·
It is pretty common for the adult canine teeth to be nearly fully errupted before the baby tooth lets go. I wouldn't worry unless it looks like the adult tooth is coming in crooked because of it, which would be unusual.

#5 ·
Just had one like this and it took a little over a week before the puppy canine tooth came out on its own

#8 ·
I usually turn the pup loose with the adults with a tuggy toy. One good yank by the adults on the tuggy toy and the tooth is history.

#10 ·
Get a nylabone or something of that sort! I have a 5 month old right now that has the same baby tooth with the big canine right behind it! The right side was the same but he broke it playing with a ball or bone! Just wait it out! If he isn't in pain I would try pulling once you see it's pretty dead

#11 · (Edited)
The rule via my vet, once you clearly see 2 it's time to remove the baby tooth, sometimes baby teeth keep their root intact, they will not dry up and die; keeping these teeth in too long in can affect the bite. Canines not that big of a deal usually but any of the little ones up front can have a profound affect on their smile ;). So easiest I've done it is dental floss, pulled tight & tide under the baby tooth to kill-cut off blood supply to the root, oftentimes they get loose and just fall out after that, although I have had to pop a few. Or just take him to the vet they'll have it popped out in no time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.