The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thunder Equipment and AKC

Default Thunder Equipment and AKC

Does anyone know if AKC allows thunder equipment shotgun simulators at HTs or FTs? Any opinions on this equipment pro/con vs popper gun?

Don't know if AKC has been asked or needs to be. Have judged and worked trials where they have been used.
    Bill Davis

In my opinion, the simulator's sound doesn't carry as far as a field trial popper.
    Chris Pennington

Quote Originally Posted by DMA View Post
    Does anyone know if AKC allows thunder equipment shotgun simulators at HTs or FTs? Any opinions on this equipment pro/con vs popper gun?
    The rules are not specific, except that I know you cant use them at a HT walk up.

The biggest pro for using them is that they will save the club an impressive amount of $$$. One could also argue that they are safer than poppers.

I also love the fact that it is easy for a gunner to retire with it so the gun stand is not out in a field.

They do require a little training on the timing but it isn't rocket surgery.

All of the ht and Ft's events held at the CR use the thunder sticks- maybe not in every stake but every event.
    Thunder sticks are safer to use, cheaper and then when you cant get blanks and when you do they are more expensive than live loads it gets to be an easier answer

I could use some help with the rules, thinking it says a noise making device and not necessarily a firearm , for example beating on a pan with a spoon would work or maybe just the winger going off could work
    Just me
    Dk

Heard of rocket science and heard of brain surgery, but rocket surgery is a new one. Must have to be dang smart.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.
    Bubba Joiner

HRCH UH Ridgewood's Georgia Dawg (500 point club)
    HRCH Ridgewood's Gold II
    HRCH Hold My Beer & Watch This
    Hope She's A Duk Dawg

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    The rules are not specific, except that I know you cant use them at a HT walk up.

The biggest pro for using them is that they will save the club an impressive amount of $$$. One could also argue that they are safer than poppers.

I also love the fact that it is easy for a gunner to retire with it so the gun stand is not out in a field.

They do require a little training on the timing but it isn't rocket surgery.
    Why not in a walk up?
    Tom Dorroh

Ah a thunder stick can be used in a walk up - maybe he meant the call
    Side issue- ever walk ducks up hunting - do they get up quacking - alabama dont make a lot of noise when we move them out - but its generally dark and someone is swearing about something
    Dk

I just bought the T100 so my dog is used to it in case it is used at a FT.

Yes AKC is embracing the use of thunder equipment simulators. According to my information source, the rules of who can operate these remains the same.