The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Ht dogs in the gallery???

This thread reminds me of one of my more shameful moments at a test, at our club's test a few years back. I was alternate marshall for the master test which started on Fri. and brought my junior dog. I thought she was safely crated and I parked in the shade and left the sunroof open and walked down the hill. The test was just getting underway as the first dog went to the line. 3 birds, last one the flyer. The working dog was released and from the shade up the hill I saw a blur that was my dog, who beat the working dog to the go bird from 200 yds. away. Pretty obvious whose dog it was since she's an unusual color ((((cringe))))). Fortunately the pro running the first dog was very nice about it and it was a small master so his re-run wasn't a big deal. My little delinquent had gotten her crate open and crawled out the sunroof!
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

So you tried to get your dog to heel and sit with the bird, dog dropped bird. Sounds like you should've taken the duck out of his mouth before making him heel and sit pretty. I understand in training holding your dog to the higher standard, but you just donated an entry fee by not taking the duck on his return.
    Maple Ridge's Flyboy Buzz Lightyear "Buzz"

"War is delightful to those who have had no experience of it"
    www.freedomhunters.org

Quote Originally Posted by waller1 View Post
    So you tried to get your dog to heel and sit with the bird, dog dropped bird. Sounds like you should've taken the duck out of his mouth before making him heel and sit pretty. I understand in training holding your dog to the higher standard, but you just donated an entry fee by not taking the duck on his return.
    He understands that. He is holding his dog to a higher standard, understands there is a risk it won't work out and he will be dropped, but want's to stick to his personal standard. That's fine by me, I just don't believe the dog in the gallery was the reason this all blew up. I think he gets that now and seems like a good sport about it from his later post.

AS I recall my first exposure to the HT world, I was at a training park, walking my pup (not even sure I had a kennel at this time) and happened upon a test, the Marshall and a few people in the gallery introduced themselves, chatted me up about my pup, petted and baby-talked her, and told me I should have a look at these test things. So as the day went on pretty much exploring the park with my pup. I went to each stake sat in the gallery watched the tests, with pup on lead. Then someone mentions something about a WC test, starting so I put the pup in. Pup passes, they run a WCX after put the pup in, pup makes it to the last bird on the water. I start asking when there will be more of these test things.

I think it would have gone a whole lot different if I was walking my pup around and was told to get lost, No pups in the gallery, in fact you shouldn't even be on the grounds.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 07-22-2014 at 02:41 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    He understands that. He is holding his dog to a higher standard, understands there is a risk it won't work out and he will be dropped, but want's to stick to his personal standard. That's fine by me, I just don't believe the dog in the gallery was the reason this all blew up. I think he gets that now and seems like a good sport about it from his later post.
    John Robinson,
    Thanks for your post and nearly on target regarding my stance on the matter at hand. My imposed standard of delivery on my dog, my assumed risk should the dog not comply, my money spent for my entry fee (pass or fail, it supports the host club and event so I am completely fine with that), finally, my decision to test as I train.

With regard to my "getting it now" as to whether or not the dog in the gallery was a distraction factor for my dog, I don't believe that I can definitively answer that question, nor to I believe anyone could definitively say it was not a factor. NO need to beat a dead horse on the matter. I accepted the judges ruling fully and clearly never asked them for a redo nor an appeal. Was I "pleased" with the entire matter, absolutely not. I have moved onward and still assert that the gallery should be reserved for human spectators and exclude dogs. My opinion.

Sincerely,
    Irishwhistler

That's fair, we'll just have to agree to disagree on the dog in the gallery issue. There seem to be people on both sides of this issue. I'm sure you understand that though I don't see a problem with dogs in the gallery in general, their owners need to use their head and avoid situations where it would interfere with the test, but if the gallery is that close, the gallery itself is a problem.

I'm new to the game, but I've seen dogs make appearances in the gallery (usually small pups) during more tests than not. That being said, I think your point that it is silly to be concerned with distracting clothing in the gallery while allowing dogs to sit in is a good one. But my opinion has always been that the dress code for the gallery is more pretentious than practical.