The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Training Help

Default Training Help

My year old black male has been doing very well with his training. He has seemed to move pretty quick. This is the first dog that I have trained. He is doing great with the land t, double t, and even some simple pattern blind. He lines great. When he here the cue "dead bird" he zones in on his picture and for the most part runs a straight line. My problem is starting him out on water. He is a very solid water marking dog. He attacks the water very well. We have started swim by just as shown by Chris Akin on DUCK DOG BASICS. Something went wrong here. I can not get him to line up correctly. He refuses to point his head toward the water on the "dead bird" cue. He aligns everything else correctly. What can i do to get him to zone in on water like he does on land? Thanks in advance.

Your comment "He has seemed to move pretty quick." is the first clue. Is it possible your moving forward with the training that pup does not have all the basics down 100%? Not really enough info here to say for sure but I would slow down, back up a few steps and get the foundation down solid.
    Don

How wide is your swimby pond? Are the bumpers in plain sight? Do you mark the pile with a toss?
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Not familiar with Duck Dog Basics. In Lardy's outline, he spends a few days on just identifying the pile, sending the dog for it, then several days forcing the dog to the pile across the water.

The reason I ask is you seem to be describing "bugging" which is a basic avoidance behavior. Marks over water are fun. Doing drills not so much. Doing drill in the water... definitely not so much. So he's probably just saying he wants to move along and bag the whole swim-by thing for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by ljones View Post
    My year old black male has been doing very well with his training. He has seemed to move pretty quick. This is the first dog that I have trained. He is doing great with the land t, double t, and even some simple pattern blind. He lines great. When he here the cue "dead bird" he zones in on his picture and for the most part runs a straight line. My problem is starting him out on water. He is a very solid water marking dog. He attacks the water very well. We have started swim by just as shown by Chris Akin on DUCK DOG BASICS. Something went wrong here. I can not get him to line up correctly. He refuses to point his head toward the water on the "dead bird" cue. He aligns everything else correctly. What can i do to get him to zone in on water like he does on land? Thanks in advance.
    Do you que him on dead bird and he looks away, or is he scanning looking for something to focus on and just can't find anything? Maybe it's avoidance. I had trouble with avoidance in double T. I had to back up and teach push/pull so I could pull her head in or correct if she didn't.

Swim by pond is about 25 yds wide 60 yds long. Bumpers are in plain sight and are being marked with a toss.

when qued he looks the other way. I think its definitely avoidance. How can I fix it?

Quote Originally Posted by 1tulip View Post
    Not familiar with Duck Dog Basics. In Lardy's outline, he spends a few days on just identifying the pile, sending the dog for it, then several days forcing the dog to the pile across the water.

The reason I ask is you seem to be describing "bugging" which is a basic avoidance behavior. Marks over water are fun. Doing drills not so much. Doing drill in the water... definitely not so much. So he's probably just saying he wants to move along and bag the whole swim-by thing for the day.

How can I get passed this?

I think possibly you could try to get him rolling to the back pile from a remote sit for a while. He does the left and right straight up backs to the back pile on land, ok, correct? Just think if you get him to learn the pile from remote, then when you brought him around to your side he might quit the bugging.
    Marty & Lesa
    Ramblin Maxx Retrievers
    Fort Worth, Texas
    817-564-3560
    www.ramblinmaxx.com

Quote Originally Posted by ljones View Post
    when qued he looks the other way. I think its definitely avoidance. How can I fix it?
    Have you taught push/pull drill? A trainer friend suggested I do this when I was dealing with avoidance. I had no other tools to pull her head in or correct if she didn't when she looked away. Keep it slow and just use two bumpers for a while before adding the third. The push will probably be easier than the pull. I started with slightly exaggerated movements until she had the idea, then made the movements smaller.

Keep the dog's attitude up with balance, but they need to know you are in charge and they don't decide when drills are over.

https://www.dobbsdogs.com/library/retrievers/rj09.html
    Last edited by jackh; 07-21-2014 at 12:14 PM.