The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transporting Game

Default Transporting Game

How do those of you who hunt migratory gamebirds out of state handle transporting harvested birds? I am planning on visiting my brother in SC this fall and would like to take some dove out there for a barbeque but don't want to run into problems with the law.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

You have to keep a wing attached to the breast in order to prove what they really are. If you already have the dove, what I would do is freeze them and then pack them in the bottom of the cooler. What's the chance of actually getting stopped? And if they are vacuum packed and already frozen then it's pretty clear they weren't just killed if by some crazy chance you were checked.

the one wing on is right for from duck blind to home / hunting camp.
    once all wrapped up and in freezer. to be persnikidy the hunters stamp # and name should be on.
    if a warden was in your freezer or cooler legal possesion numbers still apply.
    if in a zip lock bag with sauce going to a cook out..
    ........ well, it looks like chicken don't it?
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

How about reading the regulations? Most are posted online, and a simple google search will get you the answers you need. Not everyone is an expert on the game laws in every state...Look them up....
    The dog will always prove you wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Labs View Post
    How about reading the regulations? Most are posted online, and a simple google search will get you the answers you need. Not everyone is an expert on the game laws in every state...Look them up....
    Actually, I tried that, but we are talking about leaving Texas, crossing LA, Ms, Al, Ga, and then into SC. Googling didn't help very much, so I wondered how those of you who hunt out of state handle transporting your migratory game bird (since they are subject to FEDERAL regs) kills. Thought that some of you might have some insight. BTW, possession limits, as I understand them, don't apply once the game is processed and in your freezer. In Texas, possession limits are generally two days' limits, but your season limit of dove, for instance, is over 1000 birds.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    Actually, I tried that, but we are talking about leaving Texas, crossing LA, Ms, Al, Ga, and then into SC. Googling didn't help very much, so I wondered how those of you who hunt out of state handle transporting your migratory game bird (since they are subject to FEDERAL regs) kills. Thought that some of you might have some insight. BTW, possession limits, as I understand them, don't apply once the game is processed and in your freezer. In Texas, possession limits are generally two days' limits, but your season limit of dove, for instance, is over 1000 birds.
    So, read the transportation regs for each of those states....typically, they will have something in common, like they must have a wing attached...then some will say, must have a wing and head attached. Do whatever complies with all states that you are traveling through.

Based on your original post, I would guess that you already have them breasted out and don't have a wing or head attached...if that's the case, cold pack and ship overnight...just be sure someone is going to be home to receive them...then you don't have to worry about it.
    The dog will always prove you wrong

How do those of you who hunt migratory gamebirds out of state handle transporting harvested birds?......
    'cause New England is so small I can hunt Vt. Quebec and NY State in one boat ride. I take shot birds over state and federal lines every season. I stand by what I typed above.
    BTW, possession limits, as I understand them, don't apply once the game is processed and in your freezer.....
    I know first hand of a person cuffed and stuffed by federal wardens over possesion limit violations in his home freezer.
    It was not the only thing they got him on that day, but was added to the list. If you are in possesion of the freezer, it is yours. Another I know almost got the same over training birds! Good thing they all had the clipped toenail.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

The statement about possession is inaccurate. Possession limits most certainly apply and I suspect your home state has a labeling requirement which likely includes the takers name, date placed in storage and permit number. Dove is a federal bird and one which is not required to have a wing attached for transportation purposes. It sounds like your question would be best answered by a agent with the fish and wildlife service.

I have been reading the federal migratory game bird regs, and they are pretty vague as to possession at the permanent residence, but I thought this particular reg was pretty funny:

(b) In Alaska, any person may, for subsistence purposes, take, possess, and transport, in any manner and at any time, snowy owls and cormorants and their eggs for food and their skins for clothing, but the birds and eggs so taken shall not be sold or offered for sale.
    (John Dewey)

(George Washington)

Just to follow up on the posession question, I had the opportunity two years ago to speak with the US Fish and Wildlife Service Regional Special Agent in Charge (i.e., law enforcement) in Denver about the posession question: Once processed, do the birds still count against your posession limit? The answer was a definite "yes, they count towards your posession limits." You have to either eat them or gift them to other people (while providing written documentation to the recipient the species, gender, number, etc. of what they are receiving) for them not to be counted towards your posession. Hope this helps.

Mike