The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dogs in the gallery

Default Dogs in the gallery

Didn't want to continue to lead another thread down a rabbit hole, so decided to start a new one. I was surprised that quite a few people feel strongly that dogs should not be allowed in the gallery. I find it very interesting that at an event designed to display the training of dogs intended to hunt waterfowl, we wouldn't expect that both the dog at the line and the dog in the gallery would be properly trained to deal with that situation.
    Shouldn't our dogs be trained to sit calmly on lead while other dogs are working? Shouldn't our dogs be trained to focus on the task at hand when other dogs are present?
    Has basic obedience and "citizenship" become so subordinate to training for the actual marks and blinds that we expect the working dogs to be distracted or expect the dog in the gallery to be disruptive?
    I submit that dogs that cannot perform in either situation are not ready to go waterfowl hunting. Am I wrong?
    Matt McKenzie

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it." Henry Ford

I think if its a master venue or a senior you are correct, but JH dogs are not required to honor and a live flyer visible from the gallery may fire up a young dog to the point where it becomes a distraction to the working dog. Isn't that one reason a JH can be lightly restrained at the line by a flat buckle collar? They are not expected or required to be steady.

JMHO which isn't worth much.
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)
    Freezeland's Carbon Squared, (CC)

No, Run your dogs and put them back on the truck or staked out at truck. Nobody really cares how cute your dog is or wants him eyeballing their sandwich in the gallery or cares to listen as you try to get him to sit for the 10th time.
    Baby puppies visiting the gallery are fine for the most part.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

They aught to be on a leash and if vocal put them up. No different then one in a holding blind

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    No, Run your dogs and put them back on the truck or staked out at truck. Nobody really cares how cute your dog is or wants him eyeballing their sandwich in the gallery or cares to listen as you try to get him to sit for the 10th time.
    I couldn't agree more and to add to that if you need to air ,stretch or anything else with your dog there is generally plenty of room without having to disrupt the working dog. Give common courtesy to the working dog and handler, you'll have time to show your dog off when its your turn at the mat.

As far as hunting goes ,if there are 50 other dogs around ....we've got problems.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McKenzie View Post
    Didn't want to continue to lead another thread down a rabbit hole, so decided to start a new one. I was surprised that quite a few people feel strongly that dogs should not be allowed in the gallery. I find it very interesting that at an event designed to display the training of dogs intended to hunt waterfowl, we wouldn't expect that both the dog at the line and the dog in the gallery would be properly trained to deal with that situation.
    Shouldn't our dogs be trained to sit calmly on lead while other dogs are working? Shouldn't our dogs be trained to focus on the task at hand when other dogs are present?
    Has basic obedience and "citizenship" become so subordinate to training for the actual marks and blinds that we expect the working dogs to be distracted or expect the dog in the gallery to be disruptive?
    I submit that dogs that cannot perform in either situation are not ready to go waterfowl hunting. Am I wrong?
    I agree with all of these points. However, if a dog is in the gallery and cannot behave then the owner/handler needs to put the dog up. Others have stated that JH dogs are not expected to or required to be steady etc. Then that dog should be put up. Those lack of expectations for a young dog really are sad though. Just because they maybe JH dogs doesn't mean that they should be able to get away with being disobedient or unruly, regardless of where they may be.
    "Blastem Daddy!" My Son's advice to me as a big ole Tom turkey came strutting within range. My son was 6 at the time.

Weller's Tell It To The Judge MH (Justice)
    Weller's Running With The Wind MH (Chase)
    JD's In It Again MH (Trouble) 5/1/2009 - 1/3/2012

I am glad Hunt tests emulate hunting because there is never any other dogs out at the same time.

A Good HT FT or hunting dog could give a $hit less if a hundred dogs are in the gallery and all it wants is to be the 1st one back with the bird.
    "Communism only works in Heaven, where they don't need it, and in Hell, where they already have it" Ronald Reagan

Had a first at a hunt test yesterday. A baby was crying most of the time the dogs were doing their Junior water portion. Thankfully it didn't seem to bother too many of the dogs, but there was worry that it might.
    ​Laura

Can Ch UGRCH URO2 SHR Kelrobin Black Minx RA JH CD WC CGCA BN Can RN PCD CGN WC CD

I don't care if there are dogs in the gallery.

If this is such a significant distraction, maybe we shouldn't have galleries.
    Considering the fact that God limited the intelligence of man, it seems unfair that he did not also limit his stupidity". -Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    This reminds of Blackie when we first started agility. He jumped out of the ring during a course and went to a lady who HAD a muffin. After he gobbled it up he ran back to me and continued the course. No prize but the judge and I had a good laugh. Not the lady!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA

HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI

Metras's Hashtag Mickey