The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Dogs in the gallery

Matt said it best, just use your head and be courteous.

Hmm I oftentimes will have a young pup sitting in my lap, to lap up attention and socialize. They might watch the marks, but more importantly they learn to relax/be quite, & calmly prance around on leash at the event. I've never had anyone complain, most people just want to hold & pet. I've also never had a pup go wild on me at their first test, they've already been there and know what's expected. I sometimes have my older one out, usually after we've already had to rush for a pickup dog, I'm pretty sure she always on leash, but usually just passes out under my chair. Now I wouldn't have them out if they were wild or a distraction. Much like kids at an event if they are courteous and well behaved they can be out, if not they stay in the truck.

I've never seen dogs breakout of the gallery and disrupt a test, The only one's I have seen were wild dogs coming off the line who's owner lost hold of the leash on the way back to the Truck, or one who jumped out a side window which was accidentally left down.

If your dog is going to the gallery because there's another dog there, you've got another issue, it's a dog event, most would except other dogs to be there .
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Matt has it right ,I guess I'm not actually against dogs in the gallery as much as I am inconsiderate people in the gallery.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

I’ve been racking my brain trying to remember a hunt test weekend when I haven’t seen a dog in the gallery, and I just can’t come up with one. As a judge, marshal and handler, I’ve had more trouble with the handler that stops near the gallery and in the path of oncoming dogs when leaving the line, discussing their dog’s performance with friends, than with a quiet, well behaved dog sitting near the gallery…… as long as the dog in the gallery is not near the line to the holding blinds.

Also, I have never seen a gallery closer to the line than the last holding blind, so it’s a given that there will be another dog within smelling distance. I don’t see how a quiet dog sitting in the gallery should be more of a distraction than the dogs waiting in the holding blinds to run their tests.

This discussion has brought to mind my old heart dog, Annie, who was losing her sight and hearing and weak in the rear when she earned her GDX that last year before we lost her suddenly at the age of 12 . GDX = Gallery Dog Excellent. I joked that she earned the “title” by sitting quietly and attentively at hunt tests run by all three organizations, when my husband and I spent long weekends judging and/or working tests, and our dogs had to sit in the truck for days on end. When I could take a break and sit for a little while I had no problems with allowing the old, well behaved dog a chance to watch the tests and hear the guns, as she seemed to relive her days of glory. There were a few times when she was asked to quickly be pick up dog, and it brought a tear to my eye to see how proud she was to be “running” tests again. It seemed to take years off of her for a few minutes.
    Last edited by Susan Young; 07-22-2014 at 01:03 PM.

I am new to this game so take my opinion for what it is worth. I cannot believe that this topic is getting so much attention. I have only ever run 9 hunt tests and I have worked 8 of them. This means that my dog has sat in his box all day while I was working except for when it is his turn to run. After he runs his last series I like to let him hang out for a bit. He will sit or lay down calmly and watch the other dogs run. Usually I sit off to the side by ourselves but sometimes we may be in the gallery. I have no problem with other dogs being in the gallery as long as they are calm and not causing a ruckus.

I am also fairly new, but have yet to see any senior HT dog going to the line or at the line have a problem with a dog in the gallery. I usually bring my jack russell out to watch after I run my lab and he loves it.

BTW as a judge its quite easy to tell if the gallery is distracting a dog. Its eyes ,ears or body will tell you. If disturbing a dog a lot it should get a re run and get the gallery under control. If no bother in performance or a minor one make a note on the page. Sorry to the OP but the dog needs to work on hold and fetch before the next donation to the club.
    "Communism only works in Heaven, where they don't need it, and in Hell, where they already have it" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Amrein View Post

A Good HT FT or hunting dog could give a $hit less if a hundred dogs are in the gallery and all it wants is to be the 1st one back with the bird.
    Yeah, right.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McKenzie View Post
    Seems to me that some people do stupid and inconsiderate things. Some people walk around behind the handler while he's running a blind. Some people get in boisterous conversations very close to the line while people are handling their dogs. Some people show up for training day and spend all day sitting around BSing rather than pitching in and doing their part. Some people don't show up to the holding blind when they are supposed to. Some people bring poorly trained dogs into the gallery that disturb other people or act in an unruly way that might distract the working dog.
    Is the problem really dogs in the gallery or is the problem stupid and inconsiderate people? If the issue is the second one, you can't write enough rules to fix their stupidity. More restrictions only affect those who "get it".
    In my opinion, if someone shows up to the gallery with a calm, well-trained dog on lead that is not bothering anyone, what's the problem? If someone shows up with a nuisance (dog, child, whatever), those in the gallery need to educate that person about acceptable etiquette. One man's opinion.
    Thanks, Matt. May common sense prevail - once in awhile.

I have no idea why anyone would want their dog hanging out in the gallery at a hunt test. Makes absolutely no sense to me. I want my dog out of their box and off the truck as little as possible at a trial. The less they are off the truck, the less they are exposed to opportunities for trouble, and the more relaxed they are. You are there to compete, not bond with or socialize your dog.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)