The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Our old gal is struggling(vet help)

Default Our old gal is struggling(vet help)

Sorry for the length but I'm trying to be as detailed as I can.
    A little background: Libby is 11. Spayed, and no health issues at all in her history until a few months ago. She split a nail, had to be removed. Got infected and into the bone of the toe resulting in a toe amputation about a month ago. She was on antibiotics waiting about a month for the surgery but came through everything seemingly fine. She also had a bout of Horner's Syndrome, from a hard hit from our Chessie pup who hasn't figured out how big he is. That went away after about a week.
    Friday evening she was panting but not enough to really be concerned and was showing no other signs of distress. She woke us up Sat morning having a seizure that lasted almost 5 minutes(no history of seizures). Completely unresponsive, tongue out, drool, feet kicking, released her bowels...I thought I was watching her die. A few minutes later she stood up like nothing had happened. The next hour or so though she was blind as a bat. Pacing up and down our hallway running into the wall/door/dresser every time she turned left to turn around. Through the day her vision seemed to improve, she ate fine, went outside to urinate and defecate with no issues, ears perked up and tail wagging when you talked to her. Since then she has had episodes with trembling, panting, and general uneasiness(pacing) followed by times of nothing at all but hard heavy sleeping.
    Vet visit today: Blind in Left eye/"luxated lens"??? Right eye has some vision loss. No pain response with palpating. Normal Temperature. Blood work normal except for ALP but it is down from a month ago prior to the surgery. (Copy of blood work below). He gave her Deramaxx and Opthalmic neo/baci/dex drops.
    So, could the lens be causing enough pain to make her tremble and pant like that? Any other thoughts?
    "The thing I admire about the rat tail is that it takes commitment. It's not like one day you just decide you want one, you have to grow out that bad boy and you have to repeatedly convince the hairdresser to trust you because it's a great idea."

The trembling and panting sounds like a precurser to the seizures. I would watch her for another seizure. Unfortunately, she may have a brain tumor, or maybe a stroke that has affected part of her brain that is causing the seizure.

Meredith

What about an abdominal ultrasound?

Susan

did they check eye pressure? It's simple and painless to do. If she has high eye pressure, yes, that absolutely could cause extreme pain and panting.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA MHU SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP DJ VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

Alp ? liver?? issues
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA

HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI

Metras's Hashtag Mickey

Unfortunately geriatric onset seizures are often secondary to brain tumors, there are of course other possibilities. Nothing in the chemistry panel suggests non neurological cause.

The blindness was probably due to the seizure.... Postictal state. The blindness probably had nothing to do with the seizure. With that being said, a luxated lens can Be painful to a dog, especially if the lens goes over the top of the eyeball instead of underneath. They will have some Vision, although very cloudy. Not enough to keep them from running into a refrigerator. Eventually, it should be removed. Although it seems as if your priorities have bigger fish to fry. I would be more concerned about the seizures and a possible brain tumor as Dr. Ed suggested.

sorry you're going through this...... It's very hard to watch them get old.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

A brain tumor has been my main worry, was just hoping someone might have some better ideas. Very tough watching her go downhill.
    "The thing I admire about the rat tail is that it takes commitment. It's not like one day you just decide you want one, you have to grow out that bad boy and you have to repeatedly convince the hairdresser to trust you because it's a great idea."

We had to put Libby down yesterday. She went downhill very fast, fell yesterday morning and was never able to stand back up. It's tough enough to deal with the grief on my own and watching my wife grieve breaks my heart but the boys who are 8 and 14 have had Libby around their entire lives and helping them struggle through losing her is just awful.

I am so sorry. It just always hurts so much.
    Rest in peace, Miss Libby. Good dog, good girl...
    Charlotte Kaiser: " The Problem Lies In The Talent."