Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 hard drives

Default IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 hard drives

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...0-computer-ha/

http://tinyurl.com/pno8tdg

By Jim McElhatton
    The Washington Times

Days after IRS officials said in a sworn statement that former top agency employee Lois G. Lerner’s computer memory had been wiped clean, the agency put out word to contractors Monday that it needs help to destroy at least another 3,200 hard drives.

The Internal Revenue Service solicitation for “media destruction” services reflects an otherwise routine job to protect sensitive taxpayer information, but it was made while the agency’s record destruction practices remain under a sharp congressional spotlight.

- more -
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

Wouldn't it make sense for someone to seek an injunction against the IRS destroying any media until further notice?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

How many hard drives a year do you think might possibly go bad in an agency that size each year? Especially given they are running a lot of antiquated equipment.

Oh, never mind. It's a conspiracy...
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    How many hard drives a year do you think might possibly go bad in an agency that size each year? Especially given they are running a lot of antiquated equipment.

Likely a lot go bad. How many completely lose all their information? Likely very few, because of backup policies, especially folders like, Lois, which would contain a multitude chain of emails and CC information.

Now they are in front of judges which don't like to be humiliated by being lied to whatever their party affiliation. Congress is indirectly out of the picture and letting other people do their dirty work. Discovery is a _itch when you are on the receiving end.
    Last edited by Dan Storts; 07-21-2014 at 10:36 PM.

But wait ... it doesn't get any better than this ...

IRS official: Lost Lois Lerner emails may still exist

http://washingtonexaminer.com/irs-of...tm_medium=feed

http://tinyurl.com/labnnpp

Could the IRS have those missing Lois Lerner emails after all?

New testimony from a key Internal Revenue Service official indicates the IRS may not have lost two years of emails sent by former top IRS official Lois Lerner after all.

That is what the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee suggested Monday morning in a newly released transcript of a recent closed-door interview with IRS Deputy Associate Chief Counsel Thomas Kane.

Kane is responsible for producing documents requested by Congress that are related to a a probe into the IRS past practice of targeting conservative groups.

- more -
    Last edited by Eric Johnson; 07-21-2014 at 10:43 PM.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post

Do you honestly believe the IRS has nothing to hide?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

If they lost so many hard drives/emails from the same particular period, would it not seem reasonable that those back-up tapes would either 1) been used to restore the info to the new hard drives they would have had to install; or 2) they would have exempted that particular back-up tape (or tapes) from being over-written?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

To me, the real issue is that the IRS was not following the Federal Archives law nor, with the usual rules of destruction of documents under a court proceeding. In short, they are demonstrating a belief that they are a law unto themselves.
    Eric

Cover up ... stonewall tactics.. there is some serious dirty politics they are hiding from.
    “I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot.” ..... Elmer Keith

I agree the timing is terrible however it sounds like business as usual. It doesn't sound like these are 'bad' hard drives. It could be they just retired 3200 PCs. Anytime a PC is retired the hard drive should be physically destroyed so the data cannot be obtained by external parties. If it is not physically destroyed in most, not all, cases data can be recovered. I hope everyone who disposes of their own personal PC destroys the hard drive.
    Hebrews 11:3 By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.

What if all we have today is what we gave thanks for yesterday?

Let the views of others educate and inform you, but let your decisions be a product of your own conclusions. (Jim Rohn)