The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Puppy Shots Help?

Default Puppy Shots Help?

We have a litter of 7 puppies, they are 5 weeks and we would like to admin. their first set of shots at 6 weeks.
    Looking at Jeffers and Foster and Smith there are many choices but what do you use?
    We are located in Atlanta but the pups are going as far as Canada for their new homes.
    We would prefer not to buy 20 or 25 doses as we are only giving the first set of shots and the rest would go bad in a years time.
    Thanks in advance,

Gregg
    Gregg Leonard

Tremblin Earth's Touch of Choclate "Reese" QAA FC/AFC Land Ahoy "Pirate" X Baypoints Dream Maker QAA
    Red Squad's Blue on Black "Jesse" MH QAA NAFC FC/AFC Grady X FC/AFC Dance Hall Gal
    Red Squad's Fifty Caliber "Sniper" QAA NAFC FC/AFC Grady X FC/AFC Maple Creeks Mattie Mae
    Red Squad's Bad Girlfriend "Tinker"FC/AFC Nick of Time Lone Ranger X Good Ideas Windy Retreezer QAA
    Red Squad's Element Of Surprise "Chica" ​NFC-AFC Maxx's Surprise X Red Squad's Blue On Black MH

I always just go to my vet and get the number of puppy shots I need and give them at home.
    What makes your dog a "Prime K9"?

Www.facebook.com/stormrunfarm.primek9

Thanks Prime, I would like to save the mark up from the vet.
    Still looking for advice on what and where to buy on line.
    Gregg Leonard

Tremblin Earth's Touch of Choclate "Reese" QAA FC/AFC Land Ahoy "Pirate" X Baypoints Dream Maker QAA
    Red Squad's Blue on Black "Jesse" MH QAA NAFC FC/AFC Grady X FC/AFC Dance Hall Gal
    Red Squad's Fifty Caliber "Sniper" QAA NAFC FC/AFC Grady X FC/AFC Maple Creeks Mattie Mae
    Red Squad's Bad Girlfriend "Tinker"FC/AFC Nick of Time Lone Ranger X Good Ideas Windy Retreezer QAA
    Red Squad's Element Of Surprise "Chica" ​NFC-AFC Maxx's Surprise X Red Squad's Blue On Black MH

Many vets give a litter discount for vaccines & microchips, at least, they do around here. Since you only need 7, buying individual doses and the shipping, might not be such a savings. My vet, for instance, does the vet check for free while vaccinating them. Presumably with a litter like that you're chipping the pups, especially going to Canada that requires a microchip, ask some vets about a discount on doing the whole shebang at once, shots, chip, exam.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

I've had no problems with Dr.s Foster & Smith. I order meds through them also.
    I would also use a vet for your pups going to Canada, so you have proper documentation.
    Denise Jepson
    Centerfield Retrievers

Five Star Fielders Choice MH
    Centerfields My-Oh-My SH
    Centerfields Waterfowl Wizard

Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference! -Winston Churchill
    There's those that just TALK about doin' it and those that just DO IT!

If you have a Tractor Supply or Farm and Fleet in your area you can purchase them there.

So, having worked for a Pharmaceutical company, you need to be careful where you buy vaccines. Farm stores are not the place and those vaccines are not of the quality you need for protection. They are not handled by trained proffessionals and you don't know if they were allowed to warm up or freeze.

Most single dose vaccines you buy through catalogs again, are not the quality of vaccine you want for protection from disease.

The above vaccines do NOT have the duration of immunity data behind them or the challenge data to PROVE they work.

For the best protection, you need to either bite the bullet and buy the 25 dose pack of a good vaccine or go to your vet.

YMMV, but I don't take a risk with my pups health. My vet is worth his weight in gold. Because of my long standing relationship with him, I do get a little discount, AND he comes to my house to do litters. But I don't care if I didn't get a discount. He is my go to resource and doesn't hesitate to ask for help or opinions from others. My puppy price reflects the higher price I pay for the veterinary care I give them.

That being said, I use Vanguard vaccines from Zoetis (formerly Pfizer Animal Health). They have duration of immunity data for 3 years minimum and guarantee another year. They have the only one year duration lepto vaccine on the market, though I haven't checked in about 6 months to see if anyone else dose yet. I do not do corona (though if we do hospital therapy work, I may have to as they are requiring it).

Sue Puff
    Last edited by suepuff; 07-22-2014 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Forgot to add info
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

I use the same vaccines as Sue, the Vanguard Plus 5. I order mine from Revival and ship overnight. http://www.revivalanimal.com/Vanguar...?sku=30320-415
    ​Laura

Can Ch UGRCH URO2 SHR Kelrobin Black Minx RA JH CD WC CGCA BN Can RN PCD CGN WC CD

Yup vanguard plus 5

Meredith

You can usually pick them up at any vet supply store for a reasonable price, and don't have to pay shipping. Also the people there know what to give, you want a 5 in1 for the first shot without the Lepto (which can sometimes have bad affect on puppies). Usually the Lepto are found in the liquid portion of the mix, otherwise the shots are the same, for a 5in1 you simply use water as a diluent. Still if you go to the vet supply store or feed store they have the shots, usually they have them designated Puppy shot 1, puppy shot 2, puppy shot 3. I believe the final shot uses the 7in1, but it's been awhile.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)