The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training Technique

Default Training Technique

I had a good buddy call me over the weekend regaurding training techniques of a "PRO". He set up two easy marks for the dog as he wanted to see its progress. The trainer brought the dog (chocolate lab 1.5 years old) out of the truck with a shock collar on the neck and flank. When asked why one on the flank the trainer stated that is how "sit" is taught. The dog is brought to the line.... mark thrown... dog goes out and is hunting the fall area and heads the other direction. At this point the trainer starts shocking the dog with no vocals. Dog goes back to the fall area finds the duck and wont pick it up. Trainer starts shocking him again (no commands) causing the dog to sit next to the bird. Finally he picks it up and drops it....more stimulation. At this point the dog has lost intrest so they stop the training. when ask why there was no praise when the dog finaly pick up the bird there was no praise the trainer stated " well wolves and coyotes dont give high fives when they kill something. It will ruin all the training if you praise them." BTW the dog hase been in training for 7 weeks.

Thoughts??
    Last edited by birddog22; 07-22-2014 at 09:06 AM.

I won't comment on the training method, everyone has their own way and I don't have much experience.

I trained my own dog and have been around enough others to say if your buddy doesn't like what he seeing from the pro he is using he always has the choice to take his dog home or find another pro.
    Paula

HR Dixie's Southern Comfort IV, MH

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is it will not be needed until they try to take it.” - Thomas Jefferson

I am, by no means, anywhere even close to a dog trainer. But I do train horses, and I know that praise gets a lot further in training an animal than just the release. A lot of animals look for the praise when training to know when they have done something right. I dont believe a dog in the beginning stages of its training should just be corrected with the collar before a verbal communicatio attempt is not followed. IMO, the trainer is going to sour the dog.

Don't know anything about the dog. I have seen an accomplished pro and winner of NFC several times have an ecollar around the waist of dog and neck. But this was a rare occasion not the norm.
    The rest is not something I would do.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

A few flags in my mind from trainer and client. At 7 weeks in training I would be showing obedience or FF progress. Not field work. But, if that's what the client asked to see......

No offense intended to anyone. Don't know the dog or circumstances. Commenting on what has been written because it does not appear to be fair! Certainly not the way I would teach a dog esp sit. IMO I would probably be looking to take my dog elsewhere!!IMHO No offense intended. You be the judge as you are your dog's advocate. From what you have seen are you happy with the situation and what you saw? Does it meet your expectations?. You should be asking questions or removing the dog from that program! IMO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

I stated my concerns about the training with him. What’s more disturbing to me is the "pro" has never run a FT or HT.... Yikes!

I've trained quite a few dogs. And my grandfather trained tons including 3 FC and I never seen that method done. I don't know the dog or length of training BUT I would question why on his approach.

I too see red flags in this method. First and for most is the statement " Wolves and coyotes don't give high fives " Dog are not wild animals. They are breed to interact with their human friends.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by birddog22 View Post
    I stated my concerns about the training with him. What’s more disturbing to me is the "pro" has never run a FT or HT.... Yikes!
    I know several very good trainers that do not run trials or tests. I don't know any good trainers that burn a pup to get it back into the area of the fall.
    If what you were told is accurate and this was my friend, I would advise him to get the pup out of there today.