The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: RIP James Garner

Default RIP James Garner

Found this interesting bit about Garner on Facebook:
    We note the passing of actor James Garner.

The star of TV's "The Rockford Files" and “Maverick" had a special ability to instantly connect with audiences—women swooned at his good looks, men saw him as a regular guy. But Hollywood insiders had one more reason to respect James Garner: he was perhaps the best stunt driver in California.

Rockford Files creator Stephen J. Cannell didn’t want Garner to do his own car stunts, fearing for the actor’s safety. But when Cannell came to realize that the professional stunt drivers weren’t nearly as good as Garner himself, Cannell agreed to let Garner drive.

In an interview with the producers of PBS "Pioneers of Television,” James Garner was eager to discuss why he liked Rockford’s Pontiac Firebird Espirit: “It had the the right wheel base, the perfect engine power; driving it was the most fun I had as an actor.” Garner was so good at one particular driving maneuver that it was named in his honor. The trick involved driving a car backward at high speed, then spinning it 180°, and continuing forward without changing the direction of travel.

Today, stunt drivers call that move a “Rockford” because no one did better than James Garner. It was just one of many ways he was an American original.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Kinda liked his work.
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

He received two Purple Hearts for his service in Korea. I use to watch Rockford Files when it was First Run before syndication.

Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. Calvin Coolidge

the real Brett Maverick....liked his character in the Great Escape and Space Cowboys...RIP
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Yet it was his role of the loving husband in The Notebook that brought him recent fame... I don't think he did a lot of acting playing Noah/ Duke, he was just being himself.

Godspeed James Garner .....
    “I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot.” ..... Elmer Keith

I now know that I am doing the Rockford when I pull that maneuver in my patrol car!
    Apparently I got caught on video doing it one night when I thought no one was looking. Ooooops.

I think I will dial up the Rockford theme for fun.
    Randy Hand
    Semper Klamath River Amber Ale** (Amber)
    Klamath's Heartbreak Kid (Valentino)

Ok so I went to youtube and watched the theme... worth it.
    RIP Mr. Garner.