The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tonight at the City Council

Default Tonight at the City Council

Last meeting our city council conducted a charade of applicant interviews - tonight was my 1st opportunity to reply to the rest of the city council.

Quote Originally Posted by MS
    My second comment will not be as pleasant as the 1st.

I'd like to congratulate the city Council majority, this time with an assist from the Mayor, for maintaining their perfect record in
    appointments since the city council established a policy for the interview process. The council majority has managed to appoint
    the least qualified applicant to a council position every time through 5 tries.

Your vote was an insult to the applicant who came prepared.
    At that point I was interrupted by the Mayor who I told I was not finished. She then called the Police Chief to confront me & he informed
    me if I did not relinquish the floor he would call an officer & remove me. 2 officers showed up shortly thereafter. I informed him that I was
    an elected official not subject to his control. One of the council members, though not recognized by the chair, made a motion to stop me from
    speaking further. Which passed.

Were my free speech rights violated?
    Can an officer of the law answering to the executive branch remove an elected legislative official?
    We have NO Rules or Procedures for conducting meetings, I could not get a 2nd to establish
    Roberts Rules as a baseline!

Trust me, this issue is not done - that's why you don't see me posting a lot - I'm trying to do what I was elected to do .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    Last meeting our city council conducted a charade of applicant interviews - tonight was my 1st opportunity to reply to the rest of the city council.

At that point I was interrupted by the Mayor who I told I was not finished. She then called the Police Chief to confront me & he informed
    me if I did not relinquish the floor he would call an officer & remove me. 2 officers showed up shortly thereafter. I informed him that I was
    an elected official not subject to his control. One of the council members, though not recognized by the chair, made a motion to stop me from

Can an officer of the law answering to the executive branch remove an elected legislative official?
    We have NO Rules or Procedures for conducting meetings, I could not get a 2nd to establish

Trust me, this issue is not done - that's why you don't see me posting a lot - I'm trying to do what I was elected to do .
    Marvin, I wish you the best of luck in changing things for the better.
    You may find this short article of interest ............
    http://www.newser.com/story/191321/e...gn=rss_topnews
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

Your First Amendment may have been violated.
    A police officer can remove you from the meeting.

A similar situation happened in Texas, the counsel member filed suit and it was settled out of court.
    Last edited by mngundog; 07-23-2014 at 01:43 AM.

So there is more than Zumba that goes on in the Buckley, Washington City Hall.
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

Quote Originally Posted by mngundog View Post

Your First Amendment may have been violated.
    A police officer can remove you from the meeting.

A similar situation happened in Texas, the counsel member filed suit and it was settled out of court.
    My right to voice dissent was certainly violated.

Different states have different laws, I am not sure someone who answers to the Executive branch has any authority
    over someone duly elected in the legislative branch. I do know that TX is certainly different than WA regarding police
    authority. The Lufkin National had a note to all participants - "if a police officer tells you to do something, do it."

I do not want to file suit as I do not want to have the citizens paying for our Mayor's stupidity!

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

In a situation like you have, an exclusive interview with a member of the press can often work if it gets on the front page you will in the future not be shut up. If you have a local paper put it to use.
    I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith

My right to voice dissent was certainly violated.

Different states have different laws, I am not sure someone who answers to the Executive branch has any authority
    over someone duly elected in the legislative branch. I do know that TX is certainly different than WA regarding police
    authority. The Lufkin National had a note to all participants - "if a police officer tells you to do something, do it."

I do not want to file suit as I do not want to have the citizens paying for our Mayor's stupidity!
    I'm with you on this one as your Rights were violated!

File suit and announce that you would donate the money back to a city project of your liking minus attorney's fees.

Last edited by Franco; 07-23-2014 at 10:13 AM.
    Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. Calvin Coolidge

Fight the power! Don't let the man keep you down!
    Matt McKenzie

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it." Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by .44 magnum View Post
    In a situation like you have, an exclusive interview with a member of the press can often work if it gets on the front page you will in the future not be shut up. If you have a local paper put it to use.
    This is my thought Marvin... good luck finding a sympathetic reporter out there, however...

Also, an email blast to your constituents...? Or a postcard mailer explaining the situation in detail?
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by .44 magnum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    This is my thought Marvin... good luck finding a sympathetic reporter out there, however...

Also, an email blast to your constituents...? Or a postcard mailer explaining the situation in detail?

these are good ideas but I would go for the grand slam....How about taking the incident to conservative talk radio, they are about 24 hours ahead of whats on TV, if you can get a Laura Ingraham or a Mark Levin to give you ten minutes, this could gain some traction

surely the local affiliate in your area has a conservative leaning local show to fill in around the big name shows
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"