The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Tonight at the City Council

You've Gone All Marvin.

YGAM....
    could replace GDG or go alongside as an acronym in the lexicon of RTF PP.

It could work regards, JD
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by JDogger View Post
    You've Gone All Marvin.

YGAM....
    could replace GDG or go alongside as an acronym in the lexicon of RTF PP.

It could work regards, JD
    Or we could use JDOG?
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    Or we could use JDOG?
    Sure...why not? Whats the acronym? Think hard...
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

It is likely that for the opinion of the attorney you consulted, there can be at least one found that does not support this interpretation. With the facts as stated, I'd be inclined to agree with them. Bond v. Floyd went to the issue of a legislator's right to speak outside the legislature on his personal beliefs. The case had not a thing to do with speaking within a meeting of the legislative body and outside the rule of the chair.

Courts are very reluctant to deal with issues of legislative bodies and the course of their deliberations. Courts deal with the results of those deliberations, not the deliberations themselves. Bond v. Floyd was a case involving the freedom of speech outside the chambers as a disqualification to serve. It had nothing to do with the operations of the legislative body itself.

If you do take this to court solely on the basis of Bond v. Floyd, be certain to have a large pot of money. You'll need it. What you would be asking is for a court to modify the ruling in that case and only the Supreme Ct can do this with finality.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Johnson View Post
    It is likely that for the opinion of the attorney you consulted, there can be at least one found that does not support this interpretation. With the facts as stated, I'd be inclined to agree with them. Bond v. Floyd went to the issue of a legislator's right to speak outside the legislature on his personal beliefs. The case had not a thing to do with speaking within a meeting of the legislative body and outside the rule of the chair.

Courts are very reluctant to deal with issues of legislative bodies and the course of their deliberations. Courts deal with the results of those deliberations, not the deliberations themselves. Bond v. Floyd was a case involving the freedom of speech outside the chambers as a disqualification to serve. It had nothing to do with the operations of the legislative body itself.

If you do take this to court solely on the basis of Bond v. Floyd, be certain to have a large pot of money. You'll need it. What you would be asking is for a court to modify the ruling in that case and only the Supreme Ct can do this with finality.
    Thanks for the heads up - the attorney consulted has no axe to grind so I would tend to give his opinion some credibility -
    I did not plan to emphasize the SCOTUS decision but it still leans in the right direction -

My only concerns are a Mayor who sets the rules as she goes along & does not like criticism -
    & a Police Chief who went into Swat Team mode when confronting me, BTW without the backing
    of any state law to justify his actions - That needs to be addressed & reined in - which is what I
    would be trying to do with any lawsuit, nothing more -

Anyway, Thanks again, it is nice to be on a forum where there are thoughtful knowledgeable
    participants on occasion .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Marv, what do you hope to achieve in such a suit? The soothing of a bruised ego? A payday? Usually suits brought on a bruised ego do not award enough in damages to pay legal fees.

What is your purpose for holding office? Can you achieve your goals, now that you have made your contempt of those with lesser intelligence known, along with your refusal to be "nice" to them? Power is not solely to genius but to those who can relate to others and motivate them to achieve a common goal. The absence of your photo on the roster of the city council is pretty telling about how to intend to fit in with that board. You may enjoy being a thorn in the mayor 's side but remember there is a 5 letter synonym for thorn that begins with "p" and ends with "k" and rhymes with sick.

If you are content with being a one term pariah on that board, I am sure the voters will fulfill your wish next time around-- if you proceed. Or you can turn over a new Marvin and figure out how to do business with a board that may be intellectual "inferior" to your genius. You' re a smart boy and you can figure it out.
    Last edited by zeus3925; 08-24-2014 at 01:51 PM.
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    Marv, what do you hope to achieve in such a suit? The soothing of a bruised ego? A payday? Usually suits brought on a bruised ego do not award enough in damages to pay legal fees.

What is your purpose for holding office? Can you achieve your goals, now that you have made your contempt of those with lesser intelligence known, along with your refusal to be "nice" to them? Power is not solely to genius but to those who can relate to others and motivate them to achieve a common goal. The absence of your photo on the roster of the city council is pretty telling about how to intend to fit in with that board. You may enjoy being a thorn in the mayor 's side but remember there is a 5 letter synonym for thorn that begins with "p" and ends with "k" and rhymes with sick.

If you are content with being a one term pariah on that board, I am sure the voters will fulfill your wish next time around-- if you proceed. Or you can turn over a new Marvin and figure out how to do business with a board that may be intellectual "inferior" to your genius. You' re a smart boy and you can figure it out.
    Are you French?

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Non. Je suis americain. Et vous?
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

I don't know those yoopers are pretty close to the borderlands - look how some of you have infiltrated all over America.

Quote Originally Posted by swliszka View Post
    I don't know those yoopers are pretty close to the borderlands - look how some of you have infiltrated all over America.
    Indeed, we are everywhere and most don't even know what a Yooper is so we are stealthy too!! If drinking beer and going to deer camp weren't so important to us we probably would have taken over the whole country by now!! We got no time for dat stuff!