The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Kudos to EE.

Well I did my best to start a good ol rtf slapfest. lol No offense Kim just trying to add a little excitement.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

I only have one dog to enter in Hunt Tests and I enter Master Hunter events months in advance just to make sure that I can get a spot. My lab is a female so its a crap shoot as to when she will come in heat because she has never had a regular six month cycle due to daily training year round. I am running in a Master next weekend that I was lucky to even get into when the event opened up for entries in late May. I have not had to scratch so far this year but if I had to at the last minute due to a health issue or heat cycle then I would. I wish that the AKC would come up with a new way of signing up for the Hunt Tests that would allow the hosting clubs to guarantee spots for the people that are working at the Hunt Tests ( giving up their free time without pay) because they enjoy the sport and are willing to help throw birds, shoot fliers or any other task that needs to be done. It would be fairly easy to ask club members ahead of time if they wanted to run their dog in the hunt test then save that many spots for the members. If the members didn't use the spot that was saved for them then they wouldn't be allowed a guaranteed spot at the next event held at the club ( unless a female was in season or some other valid health issue in writing from their vet. ) Just my two cents worth.
    Tom Blumer

I agree, Tom. The Limited entry was a good and necessary tool implemented for clubs to use. That we have so many MH entries is also a good sign for HT. However, we are dealing with the fallout now. There are various viable solutions to help ensure everyone has a fair shot at getting entered, which to me, includes a publicized opening day/time, possibly limited entries per actual handler for the first 1-2 days, so many allotted spots for workers at a club's discretion, etc etc. Some of which could be voluntarily used by a club choosing the Limited Entry option, or not, but at least have some tools that a club can use, if they choose, to mitigate some of these issues. Not every club minds having a huge pro presence, for example, so it should be up to the clubs, not a mandatory sweeping set of rules that will again impact many maybe in the wrong way. More rules mean more policing and more complications, which also adds a burden to the clubs.

Bottom line, a fair shake at entering for everyone would be nice, and I feel that a publicly known date/time of opening, and maybe how entries are taken en masse, or not, would go a ways towards that, without a club having to take on the job of counting entries per handler, or which worker showed up to actually work and use their space, or workers fighting over the spots available and the favoritism, or impression thereof, that could ensue.

EE is working on the late scratch issue from the sounds of it, which also helps, especially the clubs not losing out on spaces that could have filled on closing day. Every club expects some scratches after the close, that's part of the budgeted expenses and why there is a fee for non-health related scratches, to at least cover the birds ordered, etc. I absolutely do not expect a club to refund an entry fee otherwise. I'd rather the clubs remain solvent and willing to put on tests.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

I think an easy solution to entering hunt test is that the owner should have to enter the dog. That way everyone has a fare chance to enter. As far as scratching on the closing, I think you should have to scratch 1 hour prior to EE closing during business hours, so people can enter after they are closed on the last day of the closing.
    HRCH UH HEIDL'S MALLARD MACHINE MH 500 Point Club ( SWIPER )
    HEIDL'S BELIEVE IT OR NOT MH ( RIPLEY )
    LOCKED 'N' LOADED'S DOWN AND DIRTY MH ( MUD )
    LOCKED 'N' LOADED'S DOUBLE SHOT MH ( BB )
    LOCKED 'N' LOADED'S H2O MH ( SPLASH )

master national.jpgSorry but this is how I feel

Maybe limit scratches to a defined set of parameters, (ie heat cycle w/vet's signature, injury w/vet's signature, etc.) or you forfeit all or a percentage of entry fees. Also put a deadline to scratch. Maybe 72 hours prior to closing. Also charge a scratch fee for EE to monitor and process. This would probably give everyone a fair shake on getting their dogs in.

It's too easy to get a vet excuse now days. I can call my vet and tell them my dog is in heat and get an excuse.
    HRCH UH HEIDL'S MALLARD MACHINE MH 500 Point Club ( SWIPER )
    HEIDL'S BELIEVE IT OR NOT MH ( RIPLEY )
    LOCKED 'N' LOADED'S DOWN AND DIRTY MH ( MUD )
    LOCKED 'N' LOADED'S DOUBLE SHOT MH ( BB )
    LOCKED 'N' LOADED'S H2O MH ( SPLASH )

Just a question about how it works on entry
    When i enter my dog via EE my card is charged right then.
    How does the VIP program work? My understanding is the entry is just like the regular entry but when do they pay. Meaning if you enter months early does VIP pay now or before the event?
    That could help if everyone paid at the same time.
    Just wondering
    Dk

Quote Originally Posted by SWIPER View Post
    It's too easy to get a vet excuse now days. I can call my vet and tell them my dog is in heat and get an excuse.
    Okay, then a forfeiture of entry fees. That was an easy one.

Limiting scratch times, to even a week min. before, doesn't help the working person, who has to sometimes schedule time off of work to be able to compete. The problem is people entering 10, or more dogs in one push of a button. And then scratch a large portion of them. Take Missouri Valleys Spring hunt test, as of 5/6/14 one person signed up 17 dogs ran 0, one entered 10 dogs, ran 4, one entered 11 dogs ran 6. I think out of a 60 dog limit, 56 was the final count entered. When it filled in a day. Now you can say that there were spots available, but when you have to plan time off, weeks in advance, and they don't scratch till a week or less out, those spots will go unfilled. And not only the club loses out, but also a few working people that would like to run the venue supposedly setup for them (hunt test) lose. At some point we have to find a workable solution to this problem. Or the number of new people coming into, and staying in the sport, is going to drop to a point were we have no one left to do the work at these test. To me when you enter a large number of dogs scratching 50-100% of your entries more than once, is borderline unsportsmanlike IMHO. There are reasons that come up, that would require someone to withdrawal from an entire event, but when we see certain people that scratch multiple dogs, event after event it gets old. By making a limit on the number of dogs that can be entered with the push of a button, along with posting the opening date and time, allows for some of the working people to squeak in to a few spots, that would have filled when 3 or 4 people push the button, filling the limit with 10 -20 dogs each. Or as a club we can go back to being there for the working person, and not be MN clubs. I guess if you work your clubs event and couldn't get in, and still choose to be a MN club, well then it is what it is, for now anyway. Me I'm more than willing to take a few days off to work, and enjoy dogs with a bunch of working folks, that want to enjoy their dogs. But not so much, so a couple of people can run all the dogs. Many of the guys in our club are beginning to feel the same way. We talked going MN but every year more and more of us are against it. And we made a little money so why bother. Now if we can get some new people involved to get the JR and SR numbers up we will be all right. Just my two cents.