The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Colorado $19 Million in Cannabis in March: $1.9 Million to Schools/ Cri

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Not too long ago I fractured two ribs. I've broken other bones before but nothing is more painful than a rib injury. The doc prescribed Hydrocodacet for the pain. It made me sick all the time and impacted(I couldn't take a crap, yes I was full of it). MJ would have been a better alternative to the pain. A couple of years ago I lost an Uncle to Cancer. He served with the Marines at Chosin Reservoir Korea after playing TE for TCU Horned Frogs. Anyone not familiar with that action should be as it was some of the most heroic fighting the Marines have ever encountered in their long and brave History. In his last year, he wanted MJ for pain and couldn't get it because of our stupid laws and had to take prescribed pain meds that made his last days absolutely miserable! He for one did not deserve to die in pain!
    I had a ruptured disc in my lower back a few years back and the pain meds made me sick also ( plus they didn't work well ). Mother died from cancer and sure could have used a different pain med than she had. Ditto for MIL and FIL.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    Then there is MEDICAL MJ!!!
    I believe that there is. Local news has shown a clip with a small boy who has siezures ( spell ? ) and his mother firmly believes that the MJ that she knows about would indeed help her son. It would be interesting if we could see the results in some of these cases. I do not know this family at all.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

Q: Then what big impacts has the first step of marijuana legalization had on Colorado?
    A: For the most part, it's too soon to tell. Comprehensive numbers on use, emergency room visits, treatment admissions, and stoned driving are not yet available for 2013. The data there is shows it's a mixed bag: The number of prosecutions for all marijuana crimes, especially minor marijuana crimes, plummeted — including for people under 21. But citations for public use of marijuana rose.
    Q: Are schools seeing more problems with kids using marijuana?
    A: In the 2012-13 school year, the state reported that 32 percent of the state's expulsions were related to marijuana. But, because it's the first time marijuana-specific numbers have been kept, it's impossible to tell whether that amount is higher or lower than in previous years. And, because the numbers don't reveal the precise infractions, it's hard to gauge what kinds of problems schools are seeing. (Dropout numbers, for instance, are actually down.) But suspensions and expulsions for all drugs in Colorado schools have been rising, and education and law enforcement officials are increasingly concerned about marijuana at school.
    Q: Do marijuana stores cause increases in crime?
    A: It depends on what you consider an increase. Certainly there are more crimes being committed at marijuana stores compared to five years ago — if for no other reason than there are lots more stores. But police in Colorado have never demonstrated that marijuana businesses make their neighborhoods less safe. The slight increase in crime near medical-marijuana dispensaries in Denver in the first half of 2013 was in line with overall crime trends in the city. A three-year-old Denver police analysis showed that marijuana stores were robbed at a lower rate than banks.
    Q: Is Colorado going to become a source state for black-market weed?
    A: Some would say it already is. Law enforcement officials say marijuana is flying (and driving) out of Colorado like never before. In Oklahoma, officials say Colorado-grown pot has gained a special reputation for potency. And, because of the numerous legal ways there are to obtain marijuana in Colorado, law enforcement concerned about the problem say they have little hope of stopping the out-flow.
    Q: State officials also worried that legal marijuana would hurt economic development efforts. Did it?
    A: It doesn't appear so. A state economic development official told a legislative committee in November that, "so far the information we get anecdotally is that it hasn't impacted our ability to be competitive." But, the official cautioned, he doesn't know how many businesses didn't even consider moving to Colorado because of the marijuana laws.
    Q: Will legal marijuana sales lead to more people using pot in Colorado?
    A: It seems likely but how much of an increase is up for debate. Studies have shown that states with medical-marijuana laws are likely to have higher rates of marijuana use. But that doesn't mean there is more use because of the laws. It could be that states with already elevated use rates are more receptive to liberalizing their marijuana laws. Furthermore, some of the country'sleading drug-policy thinkers have shown that — as America's marijuana laws have softened in recent years — the number of people using marijuana has increased some but the amount that heavy marijuana users consume has increased much more. So it's possible that legalization won't lead to a large ripple of new people sparking up but will instead entrench marijuana more strongly in the lives of those who already use.

Q:
    Would increases in marijuana use rates be a big problem for Colorado?

A: In the sense that increased use could lead to increases in stoned driving, marijuana at schools and marijuana dependence, yes. Treatment professionals report that their case loads are skyrocketing with legalization. "Inside of our treatment program, it is very rare to see someone who comes to us who doesn't have marijuana as an issue," said Ben Cort with the Colorado Center for Dependency, Addiction and Rehabilitation.
    But there are other factors to take into consideration when evaluating the overall impact of legalization. If using marijuana more frequently causes people to consume less alcohol — and, thus, reduces alcohol-related problems — it could be a net win for Colorado, according to researchers like Mark A.R. Kleiman. If marijuana and alcohol are used together, it could compound the problems of both. It's something we'll just have to wait to find out.
    Q: When will we actually have answers to all of these questions?
    A: Both marijuana advocates and skeptics agree it will be years. Colorado Attorney General John Suthers says it will be at least a couple of years before clear answers arrive. Allen St. Pierre, the head of the national pro-marijuana group NORML, predicts it could take up to a decade. So, sit back Colorado. Like it or not, this is a long, strange trip we're all on together.
    Last edited by MooseGooser; 07-27-2014 at 07:42 PM.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

What is posted above is excerpts from this Denver Post interview (Paper is very PRO MJ)
    http://www.denverpost.com/marijuana/...sked-questions

Coloradoans are basically Guinee Pigs,,and experiment....

Would you be happy if it was YOUR state and YOUR KIDS???
    Last edited by MooseGooser; 07-27-2014 at 07:41 PM.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.

What is posted above is excerpts from this Denver Post interview (Paper is very PRO MJ)

I can't answer all your questions but I can tell you that MJ is being used often in Oklahoma. May not be legal but it's use is very common. I can tell you that I used to be just as against it here as you are up there. I know that the Native Americans who have addiction problems use it. Been through the drug center for classes on addiction and addiction in Oklahoma is very much alive and growing. I have no answers for any of it. I sure don't want any of my family hooked but being legal or not will not stop people from using it.
    charly

~Will Rogers~

I think the two issues for me would be: 1. would we see an uptick in intoxicated driving incidents, and 2. what effect does it have on property crimes (specifically theft). I suspect that legalization might also have an effect on violent crime, but I am actually much less worried that I will be gunned down on the street than that I will suffer another burglary (the POlice have indicated that most theft in our area is drug related).
    Last edited by HPL; 07-27-2014 at 09:01 PM.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

http://www.ibtimes.com/era-legal-mar...t-ever-1617782

This follows very closely to friends of mine who grew up in the sixties, and are prolly considered experts on the subject. I am 61,, Have been around pot a LOT!!

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    I think the two issues for me would be: 1. would we see an uptick in intoxicated driving incidents, and 2. what effect does it have on property crimes (specifically theft). I suspect that legalization might also have an effect on violent crime, but I am actually much less worried that I will be gunned down on the street than that I will suffer another burglary (the POlice have indicated that most theft in our area is drug related).
    What if it takes more than a decade to get solid stats?? Not just stats a few months old,, but stats when folks have figgured out how to use the system.
    Have figgured out a way to purchase here, then illegally smuggle to another state? Will your state be the same as Mexico, turning thier head away from the problem,, cause of the wonderful revenue it brings??

Answers like this will take time,,and unfortunately In my mind, Colorado is the guinea pig,,, the experiment!

Quote Originally Posted by charly_t View Post
    I can't answer all your questions but I can tell you that MJ is being used often in Oklahoma. May not be legal but it's use is very common. I can tell you that I used to be just as against it here as you are up there. I know that the Native Americans who have addiction problems use it. Been through the drug center for classes on addiction and addiction in Oklahoma is very much alive and growing. I have no answers for any of it. I sure don't want any of my family hooked but being legal or not will not stop people from using it.
    It won't stop some people from using it but it will stop others. Perhaps, had it been legal those times I was sitting in that dorm room with my friends passing a joint around, I would have taken a hit or two, and who knows, I might have liked it and been a bigger mess than I am anyway. I didn't drink until I was legal, and fortunately didn't really like it.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Quote Originally Posted by shinyhead View Post
    If you are ignoring me, how did you read my post? He called me a liar when i told him about my deputy sheriff hunting buddies. He called them "mythical" like i was lying. Yet you folks condone behavior such as his. Not to mention Luvy's hate filled posts are ok. All of you need to smoke some weed and relax. Then you wouldn't be so uptight. Bunch of sticks in the mud.
    He can see your posts when they're quoted and for gosh sakes, this is a retriever forum, you just don't diss someone's dog, wife or kids. Not ever acceptable.

The Washington Post (or compost as the late Bob Gutermuth used to call it) had a big spread on the consequences of legalized pot in Colo. Front page and two full pages inside the A section. It mostly focused on this one little store that is the only one in the eastern part of the state, and the problems the neighboring states have with stoners coming back with their stash to their home states where it's illegal. The stoners in jail are eating up county budgets.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981