The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: E collar switch?- tube style vs smaller units?

Default E collar switch?- tube style vs smaller units?

I have a Tritronic G2 Pro 100 that I bought brand new, on sale, directly from Tritronic just as the G2s were discontinued, (it was actually their very last one in stock). My selection was based on many recommendations and Tritronic's solid reputation. I chose the multi unit so additional collars could be added later after being assured that G3s and future updates would be compatible. Now fast forward 5 years...and not sure what to do. Although we can still buy a new compatible collar from Garmin/Tritronic, hesitant to invest any more in this now outdated, unsupported technology

I trained our first dog. Our new pup is husband's dog. He is not familiar with using our current remote. He finds it large and bulky, would prefer a smaller sized unit, especially since ours cannot be attached to a lanyard.

Choices- have 2 entirely different collar systems? Stick with what we have? or change completely over to a new style.

Any recommendations? We have 5yr momma Lab and her 6mo son that we train for hunt tests and upland hunting. They are both fairly soft dogs; mom, more than the son. *note- husband is a big guy with very large hands- not sure if that makes a difference.

Would especially like to hear from those who have switched brands and/or styles. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dogluvah View Post
    I have a Tritronic G2 Pro 100 that I bought brand new, on sale, directly from Tritronic just as the G2s were discontinued, (it was actually their very last one in stock). My selection was based on many recommendations and Tritronic's solid reputation. I chose the multi unit so additional collars could be added later after being assured that G3s and future updates would be compatible. Now fast forward 5 years...and not sure what to do. Although we can still buy a new compatible collar from Garmin/Tritronic, hesitant to invest any more in this now outdated, unsupported technology

I trained our first dog. Our new pup is husband's dog. He is not familiar with using our current remote. He finds it large and bulky, would prefer a smaller sized unit, especially since ours cannot be attached to a lanyard.

Choices- have 2 entirely different collar systems? Stick with what we have? or change completely over to a new style.

Any recommendations? We have 5yr momma Lab and her 6mo son that we train for hunt tests and upland hunting. They are both fairly soft dogs; mom, more than the son. *note- husband is a big guy with very large hands- not sure if that makes a difference.

Would especially like to hear from those who have switched brands and/or styles. Thanks

The classic tube style seems more natural in your hand to me. (I also have fairly large hands) However I just did the same thing and sold my old Tritronics and got a Dogtra NCP-3500. I have a softer dog as well and this has a Mild and Normal stimulation setting that give you 2 different ranges. The transmitter is small and I still struggle to get used to it but that is erasing 12+ years of time on the other unit. I used to upland hunt a lot with 2 dogs and you want to have a 2 dog unit instead of carrying 2 transmitters, that would be a pain.

The big advantage of upgrading is the battery life, the new Dogtra LiPo batteries last forever. I left the collar powered continuously and it lasted almost a week before the battery indicator turned red, the transmitter never did turn red. Plus they fully charge from red in 2 hours.

I like the tube style, multiple level power change, at your fingertips with out looking style and design for the TT Pro series.
    Another thing is, if you have it in your hand you can make a correction. Hanging from a cord around your neck, your to late for the correction.
    Just my opinion.
    Don

I just switched from my Tri-Tronic Flyway G2 to a Dogtra 2302 series.

My reasoning was similar, my old system could not be fixed by Tri-Tronics (selector switch was not working properly to set the correct level) and was outdated. I asked around and researched the different systems, because I knew I needed to just get a new one. Everything I saw about the Dogtra was good.

So far I like it while working my two dogs. The buttons are easy to locate so I can ensure I am correcting the right dog. The only thing I am still getting used to is the dial not having a "click" that you can feel when you change the power level. My girls are "soft" also. On the Tri-Tronics they would be at a 1 or 2, and with the Dogtra they are at 10-12.

If you are just looking for an additional collar/receiver, let me know. I won't be using mine.

Mark
    Mark, Peyton's Touchdown Pass (JH) and Peyton's Sun-loving Baby Bindi (Troublemaker)