The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Marijuana legality

Default Marijuana legality

For those who oppose the legalization of marijuana - do you believe that alcohol and cigarettes should be illegal as well? How about super-size soft drinks? Cars cabable of exceeding the speed limit? Why or why not?

For those in favor of legalized marijuana - do you believe that cocaine, heroin, crack, and meth should be legalized as well? Why or why not?

The point of this is not to have you attack each other for the differences in your beliefs. It's to allow you to explain your position on the issue in a reasonable way so that I can understand the different perspectives.
    Matt McKenzie

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it." Henry Ford

Marijuana is a natural herb that grows freely on the earth. In it's natural form, it is a relaxant, that has medicinal uses. Pain management and glaucoma. Cocaine, heroine and Meth are chemically altered to extract them to the "drug" state. All three of these are highly addictive and sometimes deadly. Marijuana is not addictive, nor lethal like the other 3 mentioned.
    James Durfee A.K.A Shinyhead

I believe it should be legalized as it is no more harmful than alcohol or cigarettes. I think penalties for mis-use should be very stiff. I don't think it will solve any of the illegal drug problems, might make them worse, don't know on that one.

You could take Shiny's assertion on the "Natural" vs "Processed" though I think Cocaine is a little more gray area. There are some pretty bad things that would be considered naturally occurring. There will always be a debate of what is worse than the other and why isn't my favorite vice legal etc.

EDIT: To be clear, my position on drugs other than MJ being legal is "It depends"! There are way more than the OP listed to consider each having different pros/cons, some are easy, some very difficult to determine. In the case of MJ I believe it is not any worse than the current legal vices available on the market today.
    Last edited by IowaBayDog; 07-25-2014 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaBayDog View Post
    I believe it should be legalized as it is no more harmful than alcohol or cigarettes. I think penalties for mis-use should be very stiff. I don't think it will solve any of the illegal drug problems, might make them worse, don't know on that one.

You could take Shiny's assertion on the "Natural" vs "Processed" though I think Cocaine is a little more gray area. There are some pretty bad things that would be considered naturally occurring. There will always be a debate of what is worse than the other and why isn't my favorite vice legal etc.
    Those little purple mushrooms pretty natural.

Please go back and read the questions. If you are in favor of legalization, are you in favor of legalizing the other drugs? Why or why not?
    If you believe it should be illegal, do you believe the other harmful substances should be illegal? Why or why not?
    Matt McKenzie

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it." Henry Ford

I am for taking criminal activity off our street corners, be it drug sales, or prostitution. When gun play occurs on our streets innocent bystanders get shot.

We decided a long time ago that keeping drug sales illegal was right... we have never stopped it... reason is arrest one drug kingpin, another takes over. My guess our streets would be safer if an addict could go to a clinic and be under a doctors care for his addiction, and be provided with counseling, may in the long run work better then our system today...

So I am in favor under the supervision of Physicians that drug use be decriminalized. Our jails are full of addicts taking up space we could better use for rapists and killers.
    Last edited by .44 magnum; 07-25-2014 at 03:18 PM.
    I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith

I am for letting the individual states deciding their own stance on MJ...I am firmly opposed to the other drugs mentioned and making them legal in any form...many other legal drugs should be taken off the market too (oxycontin,etc)

I am however VERY concerned about the ramifications once MJ is "legalized"...the long term effects on society as a whole,the message it sends to our kids,what it says about us as a country,and what other problems will arise, I feel it will be a lot like unlocking Pandora's box
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    I am for letting the individual states deciding their own stance on MJ...I am firmly opposed to the other drugs mentioned and making them legal in any form...many other legal drugs should be taken off the market too (oxycontin,etc)

I am however VERY concerned about the ramifications once MJ is "legalized"...the long term effects on society as a whole,the message it sends to our kids,what it says about us as a country,and what other problems will arise, I feel it will be a lot like unlocking Pandora's box
    Bon,
    Could you expound a bit on what you see as potential long-term effects on society and what message it sends to our kids? Do you think that having alcohol and tobacco legal and MJ illegal sends a message? What would that message be? Do you think that legal MJ and illegal cocaine sends a message?
    Thanks,
    Matt McKenzie

I am absolutely at least for the decriminalization of the use of pretty much all drugs. Most I would make the unregulated production and sale illegal, but I don't see where putting casual users or addicts in jail has been all that successful. Our jails are many and crowded. There is a huge and costly bureaucracy engaged in the "war on drugs".

I do find Shiney's assertion that "natural" substances are OK, but if you have to chemically alter it it's not. Very little of the alcohol that folks consume comes from fruit that fermented on the tree.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McKenzie View Post
    Bon,
    Could you expound a bit on what you see as potential long-term effects on society and what message it sends to our kids? Do you think that having alcohol and tobacco legal and MJ illegal sends a message? What would that message be? Do you think that legal MJ and illegal cocaine sends a message?
    Thanks,
    on my way to work will address your question later tonight....I do have an opinion on the subject
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"