The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Back Casting Rotations

Default Back Casting Rotations

Could someone please explain to me why it is so important for a dog to rotate in a specific direction when casted back? I could see this for a hunt test or field trial dog for quick handling but for a hunting only dog it seems to just add another complication. Please someone shed some light on this for me.

How come it matters to you enough to ask? Has it cause you issues in the field? Just asking cause I don't see the point of your question. It's your dog.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Falcon View Post
    Could someone please explain to me why it is so important for a dog to rotate in a specific direction when casted back? I could see this for a hunt test or field trial dog for quick handling but for a hunting only dog it seems to just add another complication. Please someone shed some light on this for me.
    Even in a hunting situation, keeping a dog on as straight a line as possible is best. Letting a pup get out of the fairway and then doing overs almost always is a lot more work and a lot less productive. Handling straight to the scent cone almost always gets you the bird, letting the dog get out of the area and then trying to handle back, does not work as well.

Personally I think for your average meat dog, it's not going to matter as long as you can still guide your dog to the bird. However in competition, to be able to handle your dog with finese and precision may mean the difference of getting dropped or moving onto the next series. Consider that a left or right back may not be exactly straight back, it's more likely to be a couple degrees off, and that degree or two could make the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Lietzau View Post
    How come it matters to you enough to ask? Has it cause you issues in the field? Just asking cause I don't see the point of your question. It's your dog.

Don
    Don I am a first time trainer that just made it to the beginning of Smartwork casting. I do not have any field experience handling. I am asking about it because it seems unnecessary for a hunting only dog, but I wanted an experienced opinion.

Are you only casting back with only one arm?
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

We have been practicing back with both arms, it just seemed pointless for a dog that will never be at a competition level.

It's not that difficult to teach... I don't know why you wouldn't just go ahead and teach the dog... It's not like pulling teeth. They learn it quite fast!

After the T the back casts are not expected to be straight back but a slight change in direction. If you want a back cast to the left and he spins to the right, the chances of getting a change of direction to the left are slim.
    Dog would have to over rotate (more than 180 degrees). Whereas if he spun to the left he would rotate less than 180 degrees.
    Your dog, do what you want. This concept was developed for a reason,to improve the quality of blinds by dogs whether for hunting or tests.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

why not just do it???

reason to do it? ok, you want him to pick up your ducks faster with as little screwing around as possible. seems plenty good enough of a reason to me.
    HRCH Hudson River Drake (Possom)
    HRCH Hudson River Saying Grace (Gracie)