The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Experienced Breeders

Default Experienced Breeders

I am trying to do a natural cover over the next 4 days and this is going to be my 6th breeding. We put them together today and it was not successful. The dog mounts just fine and the bitch is standing for him but nothing happens. The only other time this has happened the dog was just missing, everything ended up on the floor. We chocked it up to experience and the next time we had to help him.. I could be wrong but, this time seem different? We don't think we even could see his lip stick. sure could use some help.

Keith

What is the progesterone read on the bitch?

Need a little more info. How old are the dogs, how much experience do they have, how far along in her heat cycle?
    deb

Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    What is the progesterone read on the bitch?
    In the pasted, I have only done a progesterone when I had a short window. The dog is here for the duration. The bitch is 10 to 12 days in and standing. So could it be possible, if she is not ready something like this could happen? If so, I can take her down tomorrow morning and get a count.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Longgun View Post
    Need a little more info. How old are the dogs, how much experience do they have, how far along in her heat cycle?
    deb
    This is the first for the bitch. She is 3 years old. The dog is also 3 and this is his second. I just talked to the owner and he said, the dog did not hook up on the first one.

Keith
    Last edited by truthseeker; 07-27-2014 at 08:29 PM. Reason: more

Well it's possible the male is inexperienced and might need some help hooking up. If she is standing for him then she should be ready or very close. Also you can check her swelling in the private region or pat her to see if she flags- Moves the tail away from her privates. Progesterone tests are the best way of telling if the bitch is ready though.

If he can't get the job done very soon, consider side-by-side AI. Most vets can help with this. A repro vet can also be of great assistance.
    Sounds like the stud isn't great at this, since he never tied on his first breeding and is now not tieing with this girl.

Quote Originally Posted by fishin444 View Post
    Well it's possible the male is inexperienced and might need some help hooking up. If she is standing for him then she should be ready or very close. Also you can check her swelling in the private region or pat her to see if she flags- Moves the tail away from her privates. Progesterone tests are the best way of telling if the bitch is ready though.
    What is really strange is that he mounted and went to work but the tool never showed up for the party.

Keith

Sent you a PM

Quote Originally Posted by truthseeker View Post
    What is really strange is that he mounted and went to work but the tool never showed up for the party.

Keith
    Same deal here with a recent breeding. She flagged a whole week - bitch owner agreed for prog. she was still low. 5 days later,the next test showed she'd ovulated and the next 4 days would be optimal. That day-he tried and tried and tried,but could not acheive a tie. Next morning , bam- within about 30 seconds, had a tie. Skipped a day and bred this am- I think your female is a tad early but run a progesterone test in the morning- test will come back next day and you'll have a better idea. Generally- ovulation is at or around 5ng. Breed two to four days post if possible.
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)