The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Experienced Breeders

And when you run a progesterone test, you can arrange for the vet to do a side by side. Often a good repro vet can help when both dogs are inexperienced, especially if you don't have 2 experienced people to assist you at home.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Probably more the experience level than anything.
    I find that they usually need help, even if it's just holding the female to keep her in one place.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Quote Originally Posted by truthseeker View Post
    What is really strange is that he mounted and went to work but the tool never showed up for the party.

Keith
    I'd say she's early. When you breed by days instead of progesterone levels you are guessing. Do the progesterone and know exactly when it's time. IF the boy still can't get the job done, then opt for an AI. There is nothing wrong with AIs if it's the right time.
    ​Laura

Can Ch UGRCH URO2 SHR Kelrobin Black Minx RA JH CD WC CGCA BN Can RN PCD CGN WC CD

Not unusual to have to help whether she is willing or not.
    Even if it's just getting her to stand in one place.
    John Lash

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Many males are hard to help. They are doing something they have likely been discouraged from doing. When you try to help they aren't to crazy about you getting close.If you've watched a male try unsuccessfully for awhile you can see it's a strenuous activity for them too.
    John Lash

Thanks everyone.

I put them together this morning, had a lot of sniffing and what not, but nothing. I took her down and started the testing. The vet said she looks early but, lets cross our fingers. It seem that the more I do this, the more I do not want to do this. I could not pass it up. A lot of candlewood, Supper Tanker, Tanks a lot, Bit O Bunny and more. Plus Honcho, Marathon man and Lean Mac To much red to pass up. all within 4 Gen's.

Keith

The doc. said 1.7. I was told she will be ovulating tomorrow. Put them together for the next three day and we should be good to go. I want say to all you breeders out there. It's not easy to coordinate all of this. all the people involved just to do one breeding. Thanks for doing it all the time.

Keith

Keith
    1.7 is pretty low yet.....I'd probably do another one tomorrow(wed). Once she hits 5.0ng shes ovulated(unless she stalls which some do...) Then you have two to four days for optimal time. Running her in to the vet for blood pull is a pia, I know- but if you dont do it-and you dont get a breeding,and dont get a breeding, and dont get a breeding... you'll be wondering if youre too early or they dont know how. The extra time and money will be worth it in the end, may mean getting pups vs not.... good luck
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

I had a girl stall till day 21, did AI on day 23. So stalling definitely happens. I wouldn't count on her ovulating today.

I'd normally guess it'd be at least 3 days from 1.7ng and that's if she doesn't stall. Then you still need to wait ~2-3 days for the eggs to ripen before the male is truly interested (and before the sperm can fertilize). Yes, the sperm may live a few days anyhow, but really, it's the stud owner's job to MAKE SURE the job gets done... imo, anyhow!