The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picky eater

Default Picky eater

My 4 mo old YLF is a picky eater. She's British and in talking with the breeder, this is not uncommon. However, it does create some issues at feeding time. She's in the house, we have other dogs, so leaving food down for her to eat is not a good option. I'm feeding Pro Plan, which is what the breeder started her on. She'll eventually eat enough but it takes a while. The other dogs (lap dogs) eat Science Diet and she eats that better than the ProPlan, but still not clean-the-bowl good. My vet says if she prefers the SD, let her eat that, but I'm not a big fan of SD for a working dog.

So, any tricks out there to perk her up? I'm not overfeeding her, in fact she's slimmer than I like but the vet is happy with her condition (able to feel ribs, slight tuck at the flanks).

I had a picky eater and I gave up trying to make her eat. She was given 15 to 20 minutes of the food on the ground to eat, then it was picked up till the next meal time. I have read that letting them graze only makes them graze. She ate better when she was boarded with a friend with other dogs for a week. I think she realized that if she didn't eat it, someone else would.
    Last edited by jackh; 07-28-2014 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJFalkner View Post
    My 4 mo old YLF is a picky eater. She's British and in talking with the breeder, this is not uncommon. However, it does create some issues at feeding time. She's in the house, we have other dogs, so leaving food down for her to eat is not a good option. I'm feeding Pro Plan, which is what the breeder started her on. She'll eventually eat enough but it takes a while. The other dogs (lap dogs) eat Science Diet and she eats that better than the ProPlan, but still not clean-the-bowl good. My vet says if she prefers the SD, let her eat that, but I'm not a big fan of SD for a working dog.

So, any tricks out there to perk her up? I'm not overfeeding her, in fact she's slimmer than I like but the vet is happy with her condition (able to feel ribs, slight tuck at the flanks).
    I feed PPP and my 3 get 5 minutes to eat. Then I pick it up.......well, not really. They eat or they would go without.
    Don

yup they will eat after a day or two of no food and learn that they better eat when its put in front of them
    "Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks, others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
    John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Prairie Pintail
    http://wilsonsretrievers.com/

Y'all are confirming what I was thinking - like the army, learn to eat when you can. Thanks for the input.

I have a 4 mo old to and wish I had one that was a little slower while eating. She acts like she is staving. Her mother eats fast too.

Yeah, Karen, that's what I'm used to with my other labs, like they'd never been fed before or would be again. Kasey used to just whine while eating....

i had a male once that was a grazer so we did as stated above. we gave him so much time to eat than picked it up. Did not take long for him to figure out the girls were eating and getting all their food so he finnally started eating it all.

How many meals per day do you offer her? Offering food on a strict schedule for limited amounts of time at each mealtime is way to go as long as she is healthy. Good luck, it can be very frustrating, had a mixed breed pet that we always had trouble with. She lived to be 16 yrs old, always thin and never had a great appetite. She did get a bit better when we added a 2nd dog to the family that was a real "chow hound"

Twice a day at roughly the same time and she eats with the other dogs. Easily distracted, just puppy curious. Now - she'll smash some food if she can get to the other dog's bowl, on the grass-is-greener principal. She's never going to be a heavy dog which is fine, I mainly want to stop the grazing. We'll start picking up after 5-10 minutes and see what happens.