The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 22 vs 209 recomendation

I think there is a big difference between a real 22 and blanks as it relates to a crack noise.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

If you can find a .22 gun roll with it, .22's are easier to handle reloading in the field, easier to find & louder in the field. Hearing protection is a must with either load.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

.209 are readily available and way cheaper. .22 blanks have been hard to come by the last few years

cci 209 primers (what alpha recommends and are the correct diameter, 209 diameters vary in diameter) are about .03 per round. .22 blanks are about .14 per round.
    Last edited by Losthwy; 07-29-2014 at 07:51 AM.
    What its prominence suggest, and what all science confirms is that the dog is a creature of the nose- A. Horowitz.

Quote Originally Posted by James Wick View Post
    Why? Serious question.
    .209 primers jiggling upon each other in a pill jar can go "BOOM"
    I had 100 (well 99) go off in a RCBS hand priming tool on the 2nd case of a 100 case run.

Good thing I was at the bench with the safe glasses on. Hate to have it happen in the field to some kid throwing for you.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Losthwy View Post
    cci 209 primers (what alpha recommends and are the correct diameter, 209 diameters vary in diameter) are about .03 per round. .22 blanks are about .14 per round.
    I can get the .22 ramset loads at Menards for about $6/100 or $0.06/round. Where I live I would have to have all my 209's shipped or wait til I go somewhere to buy them, easier for me, and I already had a 22, to use 22's.
    Daren Galloway

Quote Originally Posted by wojo View Post
    Finally must break down and buy a Alpha training pistol. Currently using a 22 ,but can't use is some states. Hunt Tester only. What are the pros and cons of 22 cal. vs 209 primer. Thanks for the help.
    I think you can use a training pistol/starter's gun in all 50 states. You might not be able to use a real .22 cal pistol in all 50 but doesn't apply to a training pistol that can't shoot live ammo.

As far as the differences versus 209 primer, they are simple. The .22 is louder & the primers are cheaper. As simple as that. Finding a quality training pistol these days is difficult & personally I wouldn't consider the Alpha quality. Although it has its drawbacks, I would buy 2-3 of the Italian made Champion 209 primer starter pistols (here's a link, http://www.lcsupply.com/Starter-Pist...oductinfo/SPP/), keep them clean, oiled, screws tight & you can get years of service from them. They aren't quality guns either, not like the GunX, DaysEnd or NEF/H&R before them. I consider the Alpha a "tweener", much better than the Italian pistol but not in the class of the others mentioned. The decision, IMO, is whether you think the Alpha is worth 3-4x the Italian pistol.
    Last edited by Granddaddy; 07-29-2014 at 10:55 AM.
    David Didier, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Granddaddy View Post
    I think you can use a training pistol/starter's gun in all 50 states. You might not be able to use a real .22 cal pistol in all 50 but doesn't apply to a training pistol that can't shoot live ammo.

As far as the differences versus 209 primer, they are simple. The .22 is louder & the primers are cheaper. As simple as that. Finding a quality training pistol these days is difficult & personally I wouldn't consider the Alpha quality. Although it has its drawbacks, I would buy 2-3 of the Italian made 209 primer starter pistols (here's a link, http://www.lcsupply.com/Starter-Pist...oductinfo/SPP/), keep them clean, oiled, screws tight & you can get years of service from them. They aren't quality guns either, not like the GunX, DaysEnd or NEF/H&R before them. I consider the Alpha a "tweener", much better than the Italian pistol but not in the class of the others mentioned. The decision, IMO, is whether you think the Alpha is worth 3-4x the Italian pistol.
    Good advice. I consider my Gun X primer pistols as worth the cost over this one, but not the Alpha. The one of these I have still works and I do like the 8 shots, but it requires more TLC.

I stick with the primers since it is easier to keep the same thing with what the wingers use. If you have BBs, though, the .22 might be more convenient.

Also, when training with groups, it seems everyone has a primer pistol and fewer have the .22, so it is easier to stock the group up.

Quote Originally Posted by James Wick View Post
    Why? Serious question.
    Primers in a bottle when jiggled hard enough the right way or dropped or run over, can cause primers to push against primers, setting one off in a bottle could cause all the primers to go off.
    A big boom in your pocket.
    I put some clear wide scotch tape over the cardboard sleeve that comes with the primers, then a rubber band around the sleeve and tray.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham