The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ever have one you couldn't get through force fetch?

Default Ever have one you couldn't get through force fetch?

Title says it all, have you ever had a dog you couldn't get through your standard FF program? what was the outcome, change of tactics or a complete washout?

Yes. Washed out and given away as pet
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Try a different method. My dog was with a trainer during force fetched. That didn't go well, he wouldn't even pick up a bird or bumper.

I brought him home and increased his desire to retrieve. Then tried to FF him again using the ear pinch. That didn't go well either. Then I went with Bill Hillmann's approach (which is all collar). And that worked well! Give it a try.

a good trainer will exhaust all avenues and methods before giving up on a dog, when this mind set is used the dog will most likely comply, you just need to be able to read the dog and think out-side the box. stuff you must learn over time. you cant get it by just watching a video series.

cheers

Had a couple that I thought would never get there, but managed to make it through.
    Matt McKenzie

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it." Henry Ford

The ones that I didnt finish, were, 1) either too nasty to risk my being nailed ( both were male chessies.)
    or 2) So stubborn and needed much more force and pressure than I was willing to do to them so I sent them home. Most of them can be FF though, but if they dont have the retrieve ethic in the first place, they will always retrieve like theyre forced to do it. In 20+yrs of training dogs, I can only think of a few that I couldnt FF. There are more ways to skin a cat . Some need a different tactic, or approach, some just need the time to grow up .
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

Any dog that has a desire to retrieve and proper introduction: to the water and gun should never come up short as at least a meat dog.
    Last edited by Rocketcityretrievers; 07-28-2014 at 09:37 PM.

I had one I had to go a complete different route than normal. After a good time on hold went to ear pinch and she would literally grit her teeth and not open her mouth no matter what. Exhausted all options and lost a little skin from her bites I skipped to pile work without force the. Shortened the pile down tow distance I could ear pinch to and did a version of moving fetch. Once I got her moving we got through it but it was a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by boomer 453 View Post
    Title says it all, have you ever had a dog you couldn't get through your standard FF program? what was the outcome, change of tactics or a complete washout?
    Yes. In 36 + years I had one. Washed him out and gave him away as a pet.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

We had one years ago that three trainers tried to force fetch. I believe he was what Rex Carr would have termed a "clammer" as he internalized pressure. He made a great gundog and a pet. The worst force fetch job we've ever had done in over 40 years was a NC trainer. That trainer told us the dog was forced and it most certainly was not by any normal standards. It takes quite a while to "fix" a bad job of force fetching, but it can be done.