The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ever have one you couldn't get through force fetch?

Boomer please send me a Pm and tell me about the breeding of you Boykin. I have one in right now that could not be FF but he is progressing nicely. I think he knew exactly what we wanted and just wouldn't do it. His disire to retrieve has kept him in the game. He runs nice blinds on water and on land and should get his HR title this fall.

if the dog wants to do the work you can usually find a way to get him through force. The question is, is the dog talented enough otherwise to put up with "quirks". If you're having problems in force fetch and you're doing it properly, then you can expect to see other "quirks" to come up when pressure is applied at other points in training (experienced people don't crucify for the last statement completed force fetch just gives you the tools to deal with quirks it doesn't eliminate them).

Drive and talent are there, to me it sounds like mule headed might be a better description. He'll be perfect for 3-4 times and then just clam up like he's had enough. (all second hand from the trainer) I'm out of the country for a few more weeks and then will bring him home for a little break while the trainer and i figure out the next move.

Had 1 that just wouldn't grasp it. Oh he's take the bumper to relieve pressure but wouldn't keep it long. Did great on hold work but whem the force part started he became a real pain in the hind end. Ended up videoing a couple sessions and changed the timing of my correction for a drop. Breezed through the rest

I just looked at a buddy's dog that was washed out of a FF program of a pro trainer down south....said the dog wouldn't get it and he should sell it as a pet. Upon inspection, the dog didn't even have all his adult teeth in....and the pro couldn't figure out why the dog wouldn't reach for the bumper...
    The dog will always prove you wrong

I had a 2 year old female chessy that took about 2 months to go from hold to the table then to force to pile. Once she understood she had no choice she turn out to be nice bid able dog to work with

There was one dog I knew, when I first started doing field work, that the trainer told me could never be force fetched, so they ended up moving past it and continued to work with the dog. He went on to become FC/AFC Circuit Preacher. Immensely talented dog. That was a different era than now and the methods many field trainers used in those days could be pretty brutal.

I was called "the cookie trainer" because the force fetch I did for my dogs was the same one I had used when I had competed in obedience. It worked fine.

Glenda