The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ever have one you couldn't get through force fetch?

I've found that in FF dogs that if your not getting the desired behavior, in which must of the time you do, I try a different approach usually it's with live birds or tennis balls which really amp up the dogs prey drive or visual reactivity. As I said, there's no reason someone's dog should be washed out if the dog has had proper introductions with the gun and is fearless of water.

thank you all for your opinions-the information is appreciated.

I just went through this a month or so ago. It was a wild ride that had many ups and downs, as well as a week long break in the middle. I wasn't sure if it was going to happen and it was exceptionally trying. It ended up better than I thought it would and the dog is retrieving and delivering bumpers and birds with no issues. If you get through it (and you will) have "fun" with your pile work (cuz it's gonna be more of the same most likely). I am seriously considering selling this dog as a started gun dog and moving on, but I think I'm more stubborn (but obviously not as smart). Seriously...good luck and at some point realize the dog is who he/she is and sometimes it just ain't worth it. The flip side is, maybe he's a late bloomer/slow maturer and will be awesome in two more months (hahahahahaha).
    Bobby Baldwin
    Troy Creek Retrievers
    Fredericksburg, VA
    troycreek1@gmail.com
    540-273-1539
    www.troycreekchesapeakes.com

Yes, a cute little female tho she was not cute at all during FF! She reacted very poorly to ear pinch and we were both miserable. I switched to collar way sooner than normally would and we worked through it, slowly. Transfer to field was slow also but she finally decided to give in and 'try' to do things my way. She has since become quite a fun dog to train, has finished some Quals (placed twice in AB in June), and still advancing. I know many thought I was wasting my time on this dog - most of them are amazed at how far she has come. Each one is a learning experience!

Yes sometimes I wonder if my 10m old has been trained. Start something new and you have to revisit ear pinch to remind him. Not used to that b/c my other two were just naturals and evolved nicely out of the process I chose. Tar my 5yo was done the Lori Jolly method. And Blackie traditional FF. They both understand ear pinch and collar fetch but rarely have to use it on them. But this little monkey is testing the waters always!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA

HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI

Metras's Hashtag Mickey

Thanks Everyone- My Boykin is giving the trainer fits, one day he's perfect the next day it's like an entirely different dog.

I'm sure he will stay with it. It's a game of ups and downs. Don't get discouraged just give your trainer some time. I've got 7 dogs if FF at this time all at different stages. Owners get upset when there child is not at the other dogs levels. Just be patient, it's worth it in the end.

I'm not upset at all, just feeling his (the trainers) pain lol.

Haha I got you

Just take your time it's not a race and sometimes put the dog away for a couple days and then go back at can make all the difference in the world. Plus like many others have said there are many ways to force fetch try them all if needed and use what works for you and the dog. once you get dog force fetched with one method you can always change and they will understand the concept better. If you really like the dog you might want to seek professional help, but sometimes even that won't work.
    Just do the best you can and hope for results. There have been some really great dogs with poor handlers that were never force fetched but just loved to retrieve.