The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with my old girl too, please?

Default Help with my old girl too, please?

So I have a 12yo CLF, she is in good health mostly, still loves to retrieve, but certainly much slower as she ages. However, here is my issue.... She has always LOVED a crate, even when she didn't have to be in a crate, she would go in and lay down in one. Never had an issue. We have recently moved and now it is necessary for her to stay in a crate at night....(Let me say, for the last several years she has slept in the house on the couch, but that is not possible for now). Anyway, every night for the past two months when she gets in the crate, she gets extremely anxious. She whines, and pants with a whine, and barks. I let her out and she does her business and gets a drink and as soon as she seems okay, I put her back in the crate and we have another round.

I know she does not do new places well, but it is going on 2 months and there is no improvement. If I leave the collar on her and give her a gentle reminder, she is better but an hour later she is back at the loud whiney panting. Another thing that is new is that although she is with the other two dogs, she is not in a living area with me.

Do dogs get more anxious with age? Is there something I can do or give her to help her calm down?

They have an outside kennel during the day and she is fine outside....but she needs to be inside in the crate at night. Any suggestions?

Yes they can get more anxious with age and if her world has just changed that would be enough to trigger the episodes.

Where is her crate? Is it possible to have it in your room so she knows you are near? I think since she has been a free-sleeping housedog for years, the change is confusing her.

Meredith

She's twelve years old and used to sleeping on the couch, of course she doesn't like sleeping in a crate. Can you put the crate next to your bed? She doesn't understand why she can't be outside like she always was.

In my experience elderly dogs do become more anxious with even small amounts of change. They also become much more attached and dependent on the whereabouts of their person(s). I think the change is much larger for the dog then you think. Routine is everything especially for an older dog. We once had to move my old dog's crate outside of a room for one night only. We had to lock the door because he kept trying to open it and none of us got any sleep that night, mind you his entire crate was still the same just set-up in a different room of the same house he has lived in his whole life.

The fact that your dog now sleeps in a crate vs. the couch with the open access, as well as, she is not in the same area as you is a pretty massive leap of change to her. If you need her to sleep in a crate I would at the very least put it in the same room that you sleep in until she gets comfortable. That might take awhile.
    Janell Richardson

You can try giving her some Rescue Remedy, an anxiety herbal remedy available in the natural foods section of your grocery store most likely. A friend recommended this Bach flower treatment to me when my old dog on several occasions became very agitated in her crate and clawing to get out at night. She has always slept in a crate. I was told this could be dementia in old dogs. They wake up and do not know where they are and become frantic. Anyway, I thought "yeah right this is going to work." But it did! Have only had to use it when she initially went through a restless period and there was one night and once reoccurance, so I used it them. Worth a try perhaps.

Try an X-pen instead of crate, or a baby gate to keep dog confined to mud room, kitchen etc. Helped a lot w/ my old guy. I believe there is a prescription med for old dog anxiety - I have not used but you might ask your vet.

Yes, an X-pen is a great idea. I was going to recommend a very large crate with her blanket and a toy or two but isolation might be the problem here. Near the family would be best...or near the bed even better.

Is it the same crate ? I have a 6-7yr. old male that"s been in a Vari400 all his life. about a month ago I brought in a 5or 600 size wire crate for him, thinking he"d appreciate a bigger home and be able to see everything. He had a fit for three days until I put him back in his original crate. Good luck Guy

A crate might be too confining for her. She might be stiff and can't stretch out and move like she needs to. I know I stretch more during the night and get muscle cramps more than I used to when I was younger.

Cholodin was recommended to me by a vet when my oldster started having cognition issues. While I lost her before she was on it long enough to help her, I gave what was left over to her 12 year old half sister. I have seen quite a difference in her. She's more engaging with what's around her. Instead of just sleeping all day, she has started taking an interest in what is going on around her.
    ​Laura

Can Ch UGRCH URO2 SHR Kelrobin Black Minx RA JH CD WC CGCA BN Can RN PCD CGN WC CD

I cant add much, because everything I was going to say, has been added already. I can only stress,that yes, as oldsters,they do go through changes.
    Tommie's last year, she decided she didnt want to come in the house anymore. This from a dog who slept inside every day of her life and as an old lady,spent most every day in as well. It stressed me(not her!!) to allow her to sleep outside because of the weather- always worried,was she warm or cool enough. She was pleased to go in the barn at night (in/out access), in her crate with door off.
    I dont think I understand why she(your girl) isnt allowed loose at night now, and Im sure that she doesnt either.
    Ooops- for someone who wasnt going to add much- I sure did. Good luck with your old gal...
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)