The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog Elbow Help

Default Dog Elbow Help

During the summer months my dogs spend much more time outdoors in their kennels. As a result those spots on their elbows where the hair rubs off and get rough is starting to get bad. One elbow is occassionally bleeding a wee bit. Sorry do not know the medical term for this nor what to search for remedies on this web page, although I know it has been discussed. What do you use to at least soften up the area or even better clear it up. Thank you so much.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Seminole Ben SH WCX
    2NMH 3GMH HRCH Heads Up Lightning Strikes WCX

Quote Originally Posted by ad18 View Post
    During the summer months my dogs spend much more time outdoors in their kennels. As a result those spots on their elbows where the hair rubs off and get rough is starting to get bad. One elbow is occassionally bleeding a wee bit. Sorry do not know the medical term for this nor what to search for remedies on this web page, although I know it has been discussed. What do you use to at least soften up the area or even better clear it up. Thank you so much.
    My last two dogs have been in and out of vets office for 5 years fighting elbow problems. Both dogs were on pros truck off and on for several years as well as in kennels with concrete. I would guess I have spent $5k on elbow problems. Latest was $2500 for surgery on elbow hygroma that got so big it burst. All this to say not to take these things lightly. While home remedys might work in short term, elbow problems can go bad fast, even resulting in bone infections. Good luck.
    Tom Dorroh

How about giving them a place to get off the concrete? There are many different brands of platform type cots for this use. Many shelters use this style since they are effective and simple to clean. One brand name is Kuranda, but there are even many online instructions how to construct similar beds yourself from pvc and canvas. Seems better to prevent issue than treat it afterwards, plus the dogs will probably be more comfortable. Good luck

Also could consider laying down stall mats on the concrete so theyre not on it at all. That way if they choose to ignore their cushy beds, they still arent on concrete.
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

And therein lies part of the problem. They both have 8'x12' kennels with half the area being concrete, half raised wooden deck where their dog houses reside, and sun covering over most of top. They are laying on the cooler concrete when weather is hot. I expect laying on the wood would be the same as the concrete. Unless I can find some type of softer outdoor type of flooring I may be S@@t out of luck.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Seminole Ben SH WCX
    2NMH 3GMH HRCH Heads Up Lightning Strikes WCX

I went to tractor supply and put horse stall matting over my kennel floor. The stuff is kind of expensive but it's made of tough rubber.

The hot weather and dogs looking for a cool spot are another reason to try elevated type bed,, they get nice air flow all around and under them to keep them cool. One brand is even named Coolaroo

We are currently using the rubber stall mats. They seem to rub off the hair worse that concrete. Our trainer uses a platform made of some sort of decking boards. My boy never had a problem with rubbed elbows. I think you can buy the pre-made somewhere.

When the elbow hygromas or kennel sores/calluses are an issue you can try commercial elbow protection. DogLeggs makes some decent ones. http://www.dogleggs.com/hygroma/

I will use them whenever a dog has hygromas, open sores, or is post post-op soft tissue elbow surgery.
    Jennifer Brown DVM, DACVS, DACVSMR, CCRT
    K-9 SportsVet

HRCH Maranatha's She's Got Phanesse MH, SAR U-1
    Maranatha's Black Talon Phallon JH, SAR U-1

www.lpkennels.com
    www.k9sportsvet.com

Since you have such nice big kennels... how about going to the feed store and picking up one of the heavy duty rubber cow troughs - big enough for a whole Labrador to lay in and about 12-18" tall. The dogs will be cool and the elbows will get some relief with the moister from the water. Another thought is udder balm - farmers use it for the teats on dairy cows when they get chapped. I think the tank of water may be the best plan.
    Last edited by SPEED; 07-30-2014 at 10:54 PM.