The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Having problems with hold command

Evan,

Today was our third attempt with no improvement. If I can figure out how to post video off my Iphone I will be more than happy to post some video. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong and can't figure it out. The rest of our training sessions have went smooth.

I am new to the game just like you Gunnerdawg, I followed the hillman program, and it worked great for myself... There were two things in the video that I did not use, and that was the way he taught hold, and the FF intro.. I started teaching hold with a leather glove. I tried to teach it using paint rollers or bumpers at first with no real progress... I just clipped his collar to something stable so that he could not move and we could concentrate only on hold.. Then placed my hand flat into his mouth, making sure I was behing the K-9's, and my thumb on the bottom of his jaw so that I could control him.. Also I placed my other hand behind is head grabbing the collar so he couldnt tilt back or away until i told him to Give. At first he bucked a little and was trying to spit it out, but i just gave him a little more squeeze repeating "Hold" until he finally accepted, dont quit til he accepts and calms... and then say Give, as i raised my middle finger so my knuckle would hit the roof of his mouth. The better he got at it the longer i would wait to say Give... Also praising when he calmed and accepted, even though at first when praised, he would try to spit it out, and Id squeeze a little til accepted again and praise... This took a few days to get down...Once he understood what I was asking, I started using the wooden buck for him to hold, I would go back to the glove if he didnt comply like we needed.. Once down, then started tempting hold with the wooden buck, tapping each side, and eventually pressing pretty hard, making him hold, if he slipped or dropped, just respositioned and pop on the bottom of jaw and repeat hold... Once this was down, we moved to obedience while holding paint rollers, then bumbers, then birds, and eventually holding the marks.. I started this when he was 5 1/2 months and he is now 7 1/2 months through FF, CC, FTP and starting to handle.. I have read and gotten a lot of good advice from this forum, that has helped me as well along the way. It has really helped me to follow a program, and have advice from really good people..
    Last edited by CJCBA; 07-30-2014 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CJCBA View Post
    I am new to the game just like you Gunnerdawg, I followed the hillman program, and it worked great for myself... There were two things in the video that I did not use, and that was the way he taught hold, and the FF intro.. I started teaching hold with a leather glove. I tried to teach it using paint rollers or bumpers at first with no real progress... I just clipped his collar to something stable so that he could not move and we could concentrate only on hold.. Then placed my hand flat into his mouth, making sure I was behing the K-9's, and my thumb on the bottom of his jaw so that I could control him.. Also I placed my other hand behind is head grabbing the collar so he couldnt tilt back or away until i told him to Give. At first he bucked a little and was trying to spit it out, but i just gave him a little more squeeze repeating "Hold" until he finally accepted, dont quit til he accepts and calms... and then say Give, as i raised my middle finger so my knuckle would hit the roof of his mouth. The better he got at it the longer i would wait to say Give... Also praising when he calmed and accepted, even though at first when praised, he would try to spit it out, and Id squeeze a little til accepted again and praise... This took a few days to get down...Once he understood what I was asking, I started using the wooden buck for him to hold, I would go back to the glove if he didnt comply like we needed.. Once down, then started tempting hold with the wooden buck, tapping each side, and eventually pressing pretty hard, making him hold, if he slipped or dropped, just respositioned and pop on the bottom of jaw and repeat hold... Once this was down, we moved to obedience while holding paint rollers, then bumbers, then birds, and eventually holding the marks.. I started this when he was 5 1/2 months and he is now 7 1/2 months through FF, CC, FTP and starting to handle.. I have read and gotten a lot of good advice from this forum, that has helped me as well along the way. It has really helped me to follow a program, and have advice from really good people..
    Hand in mouth does make it easier to teach hold later. Its a method described in Dokkens book.
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)
    Freezeland's Carbon Squared, (CC)

Well we may have had a breakthrough this morning. Evan was kind enough to send me a couple of video links. I noticed I was not holding the collar correctly, I also elevated the dog on my picnic table. I put a larger bumper in his mouth and he actually held it still for a few seconds. May not seem like a lot, but it was a huge step for him to hold it at all. Thanks to all for working with me on this. I will keep you updated on our progress.

Thanks again Evan for your time and generosity in sharing the video clips!

Gunnerdawg

PM sent
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Got it, thanks a bunch!

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnerdawg View Post
    Well we may have had a breakthrough this morning. Evan was kind enough to send me a couple of video links. I noticed I was not holding the collar correctly, I also elevated the dog on my picnic table. I put a larger bumper in his mouth and he actually held it still for a few seconds. May not seem like a lot, but it was a huge step for him to hold it at all. Thanks to all for working with me on this. I will keep you updated on our progress.

Thanks again Evan for your time and generosity in sharing the video clips!
    You're welcome. Stay with it and make sure the right behavior becomes habit.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile