Yellow Labradors
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yellow Labradors

Question Yellow Labradors

I've been looking at breeds and breeders for a new pup. I have a question that I'm having trouble coming up with an answer for.

Why are most yellow labs not yellow?

If I were to get a yellow lab, I wouldn't really want a white one. Maybe I'm just ignorant to the breed but I know I have seen YELLOW labs before. Can anyone give me some insight? I know there's a lot of "fox reds" but are standard yellow labs really white??
    Last edited by pstocky; 07-31-2014 at 02:59 AM. Reason: grammar

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Maybe it's where you're looking? A fair amount of websites showcase pet type breeders who.often focus on a particular shade, the extremes of yellow being either red or almost white. I frankly don't see the majority of yellows in real field litters being either extreme. Mostly I see just yellow with normal variances in shade. Yellow pups can start out pretty light but darken some as they get their adult coats too. At tests/trials, mostly I see yellow, not a lot of "white" unless we just aren't agreeing on what white is.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

Most yellows start off lighter than they end up. My yellows turned much darker in a year and a half. A woman told me when she was a pup that she would end up being close to the color of her ears at the time and she was right.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

They turn more yellow with age....see pic
    ty-cacao.jpg
    Blackfoot's Tide is Right Pistor
    Cacao Yates
    CD RE CGC CPE L-3

I breed my yellow girl to a yellow male. Some pups were darker than others but none white or fox red. Several who looked at the pictures that were posted thought they were fox reds. The pictures made the pups look darker on some and light on others. BUt all were ture yellow colored.

I breed my yellow girl to a yellow male. Some pups were darker than others but none white or fox red. Several who looked at the pictures that were posted thought they were fox reds. The pictures made the pups look darker on some and light on others. BUt all were ture yellow colored. all pups feeding.jpg

http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=64893

I wish I had about a dozen of these guys.

http://www.findretrievers.com/search...ber=SR34850202

Wish I had a dozen of these girls.

So if these extreme colors are too much for you, maybe you don't know what you're looking for.

The one in my avatar is yellow. Definitely not white or fox red.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by P J; 07-31-2014 at 10:23 AM. Reason: add picture
    Paula

HRCH Dixie's Southern Comfort IV, MH

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is it will not be needed until they try to take it.” - Thomas Jefferson

As been posted pretty much by all. There are many color variations of the yellow lab. Yes they do get darker as they get older. Some pictures of my current litters you will see that the pups color are very much the same. My last litter I had two white, two light red, and 3 yellow first picture. Current litters are the other two pictures. My darker pups tend to sell first, and those two white pups went the first day my ad was posted.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by fishin444; 07-31-2014 at 10:43 AM. Reason: change picture

Labs come in only three colors. Black, Yellow and chocolate. Black is the dominate color of this breed. Back in the time before DNA testing breeders did not breed for color, but for the best dog... and most often that was a Black Lab... today breeders can use the DNA of the the two dogs to predict the color of litters. So a lot more Yellow and Chocolates roam the earth today.

Why aren't more Labs yellow? I ask why aren't more Labs Black today. So my suggestion is to find a breeder who breeds for the best Labrador, and not for a certain color.
    “I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot.” ..... Elmer Keith