The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: cheating on the return

Question cheating on the return

First post brand new to the forum I have a 4 year BLF master hunter and recently she is developing a nasty habit and I cant seem to correct it

She takes a great line on the way out and no issues entering the water on water marks and takes an initially great line on the return. The problem comes when she is about 2/3 to 3/4's of the way back she turns to shore and puts it in high gear. I try and whistle stop her and she blows it off and if possible puts it in an even higher gear towards shore. I have also tried waiting until she gets to the edge of the shore and whistle stop her (which she will do) and cast her back into the water to try and get her back on the correct line. She fights the cast but will hesitantly go on the back cast and then when given the over cast will take it but only for a yards before she points again to shore and puts it in high gear. Ideas please

That is the reason for teaching and enforcing swimby in basic training.

I have seen others use helpers positioned along the shore to prevent dog from getting out of water. Not sure if it works as a long term fix. These were puppies that had not done swim-by yet. Do know that for every time the dog runs the bank you'll have to correct it about 20 or 40 times. Always better to prevent a wrong behavior than try to fix it. Am interested to see what others suggest....sounds like she just wised up and figured she can return faster via land than water. Unfortunately the rules of the "games" are not always the most practical behaviors.
    Last edited by dogluvah; 07-31-2014 at 04:21 PM.

she was given a great foundation including teaching and enforcing swimby by a weel respected pro trainer and has her master title this has just popped up in the past couple of weeks

even when she has to swim across a pond and get out to retrieve on land she takes the correct line when reentering, does not run the bank but about 3/4's of the way back on her swim he turns to shore and starts digging hard she generally only comes out about 10 to 15 maybe 20 yards short of where she would of exited had she held the line all the way back

Is she swimming OK? Any physical reason for her to want to avoid swimming longer?

no problems swimming that I can see she will charge the water on entry and depending on the mark or blind swim up to 80/100 yards get out go 10 to 25 yards on land for the retrieve and reenter on correct line with plenty of drive and swim the 70 to 80 yards back on the correct line before making her dash to the bank Same thing on shorter/longer swims for marks/blinds

she also will whistle stop no problem and take beautiful casts/lines on the way out on blinds

Quote Originally Posted by DAH View Post
    she was given a great foundation including teaching and enforcing swimby by a weel respected pro trainer and has her master title this has just popped up in the past couple of weeks
    You may need to refresh her memory if you have not done it recently

Better than the other way around. My first FT dog Cody, the dog in my avatar was a notorious cheater, eventually had to retire him for it, but he was maddeningly honest on the return. He would fail a waterblind miserably by cheating the back half, refuse to pick up until he got the bird, then swim on a perfect line, on and off points all the way back, just made me madder. I'm not suggesting this is right, but my old training partner Jim Mitchell had an unofficial agreement with his FC-AFC, that if he worked well going out on the water blind, Jim would let him cheat a bit on the return. In your case I think it would be better to revisit swim-by with your pro, then hand the reins back over to you under his supervision.