The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Junior Handler in a Derby, How do you register?

Default Junior Handler in a Derby, How do you register?

We have a field trial coming up very close to our house. My daughter has the bug to run field trials after running at the ACC Specialty last week so I would like to enter her in the Derby. I read in the rules that the AKC has a Junior Handler program that a 9-17 year old can run a dog, not in competition, but under the same judgement etc and be eligible for a special ribbon outside of the competing dogs.

How does one register for an event as a junior handler, I didn't see that option on EE?

Does a Junior handler pay the same fee?

Thanks,

Dan

I only know about HT, but in those you contact the hunt test secretary and they have the forms onsite for you to fill out. Not sure how it works in FTs, but you could start by looking up the FT sec. in the premium and call or email; both numbers are listed.

Adding to what Julie said : alright I Say!
    First go to the Akc website and register / get a jr handler number, next call the event sec so they can be prepared when she finishes.

The akc has a scholarship program you could check into.
    Max is 3500 for 5 years based on events run and success.
    Its non competitive for the scholarship so if a bunch of kids earn it then they get the reward

In our part of the country there are several jr handlers active in ht.
    some clubs rebate the entry or a part of the entry to encourage jr handlers
    Good luck
    Dk

As far as EE, I think you just enter her as you would yourself but you do want to check with the trial secretary beforehand to give her a heads up and ask about that special program you mentioned. Recently the AKC ruled that clubs could charge less for junior handlers but I believe that has to be noted in the premium. I'm guessing not many clubs put it in there because so few kids enter. Intially you'd probably have to pay the premium's price on EE but the club could refund all or part of the entry fee. So... good for you and your daughter, hope she does well.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Thanks! I'll get the ball rolling. Not worried if we have to pay full price. I know they have to still supply birds etc. Still a cheap day when we can stay at home.

The Trial Sec. has a form which is usually included in the packet from AKC that will need to be completed. And give them enough time to order a JR Handler ribbon.