The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Living /training area options

Default Living /training area options

I guess i can start with saying that i have 2 years left in the military (Marines). I'm originally from Louisiana where I graduated from McNeese State University in Lake Charles, La. I'm now stationed in Yuma, AZ and love it here (well Flagstaff area), besides the summers. My wife and I sat down and wrote down 5 places we would want to live after leaving Yuma. We are trying to considered all factors and see what best suits both of us. My wife (26yr) has a Masters degree in Civil Engineering and I (26yr) have a bachelors in General Studies (went to school for football HAHA). Now 2 years away from getting out i figured it's a good time to start looking for areas to move to: I want a place that i can train dogs year round and my wife being the great wife she is just wants to see the country and find a place around a big city where we would both be happy and she can find a good job. I know me being an amateur trainer and not having clients isn't great for what I'm wanting to do.I love training dogs and would love to train full time but i don't see it happening unless i get around a good trainer to learn from and maybe work under. Alright i think that might give people enough info on myself and wife to help us pick a place and maybe give some ideas/tips on getting set up (i have all my own Equipment btw) .. well we've narrowed the list down to these 5 places in no particular order.....

1.Northern AZ (flagstaff area)
    2.Northern California
    3.Washington state
    4.Texas
    5.Oregon

Sorry if i didn't give enough info and I'm really sorry if you think I'm living in a dream world haha..I'm just trying to live life to the fullest and enjoy what i do! I do know dog training isn't going to make me rich but its really not about the money. I've been around dogs all my life and never had the opportunity to work with them until now. I'm now hooked and wanting to enjoy the ride. It would be a dream to do this for a living but i would be happy working and still be able to train after work and on the weekends. I have a male choco with no pedigree that I've pretty much trained alone and he is almost 2.We started late on hunt test but he is 3/4 on his Junior passes (blinked a bird) and 1/1 on Senior (only ran 2 places). I just purchased a puppy from a great litter (bayou magics rouxster bleu) and he is 5 months old and showing great promise. Now looking to get a slider pup and maybe if everything works out have both of them titled (HT) by the time I'm out of yuma! Thanks for reading and i hope i didn't bore or make myself sound too dumb haha! Thanks in advance for the advice.

Welcome to RTF!
    i believe its doable, I believe very few pros are married to their first wives, having a breadwinner to supplement your income would be great until she decided not to. Suggest trying to be a great amateur trainer instead of an average up and coming Ht pro which you will be for years. At 26,former jock,current jarhead, you should explore field trials. I believe they will offer you the competition to keep you occupied. Find a real job that's flexible and get with a local FT group to start learning the game.
    Good Luck
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

Welcome to RTF. You are from Louisiana, no place like home.

As far as work, right now I don't believe that there is anyplace in the country like the Houston area. Although Lake Charels is blowing up with industrial facilities. On the dog training side, if you can deal with the heat and humidity it ain't a bad place either.

But I'm partial, born and raised between Houston and Beaumont.

1. Go where you and your wife can get good jobs
    2. If you plan to have children look for the best schools in the area and buy a home there.
    3. Train dogs for fun not for money.
    4. If you are successful in 1-3 you will eventually be in a position to select a place to live that optimizes your dog training passion

A place to train year round doesnt really exist, you either have to escape the summer heat, or the frigid winters...the key is having access to training water, the more the better.....

As for making a living at it, the best course of action is to apprentice under an experienced pro before going out and hanging up your own shingle

As for your better half wanting to live in a big city, you run into the problem of having to drive out of the city to train

Of the 5 states you listed numbers 3,4,5 seem to give you the best options of finding employment and access to trainable areas...Think waterfowl hunting = dog training areas
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Ditto on the water access issue.

Another thing to absolutely think about is state income taxes. You're young. Think about what you could do with 10% of your income every year. Instead of p*ssing it away for the state of CA to waste, go to a zero income tax state, put that 10% of your income in some instrument that paid (even a little interest) over the course of your working life and retire years earlier and/or leave something for your kids. Northern CA has some wonderful water, but I live next door in NV. I do have to drive an hour to get to training water. But I'd be thousands of dollars poorer if I lived just over the state line.

Of your choices, Texas makes the best sense $$$ wise.

Well I most say that when we say down to do out list Louisiana was number one for me! I would be able to move home and be happy but the wife isn't ready to go back home being that we lived there for 6 years while in college(me all of my life).and if doesn't necessarily have to be huge city.. Just a place where we could both get a good job and I can train! When it cools off here in Yuma and the snow birds come down for the winter we have a lot of FT pros here and I now have contacts so I can learn the FT game! I guess I'll just let it play out and hope for the best! Thabks for the. Advice. Everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by MBellow74 View Post
    Well I most say that when we say down to do out list Louisiana was number one for me! I would be able to move home and be happy but the wife isn't ready to go back home being that we lived there for 6 years while in college(me all of my life).and if doesn't necessarily have to be huge city.. Just a place where we could both get a good job and I can train! When it cools off here in Yuma and the snow birds come down for the winter we have a lot of FT pros here and I now have contacts so I can learn the FT game! I guess I'll just let it play out and hope for the best! Thabks for the. Advice. Everyone!

One of the pros that "winter's " in Niland in Don Remien....he has had a couple of real good "name" pros that apprenticed under his tutelage

As for the wife not wanting to return to your hometown, kinda hard to keep em down on the rural life after they have experienced the conveniences of city life...its only after spending a lifetime of knocking heads and rubbing elbows with the masses that one yearns to return to the simple life

Be Thankful that you and her are young and upwardly mobile and can make the choices instead of having the choices made for you
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Thanks Bon! Yes we're very lucky to be able to pick and choose somewhat the situation we want to put ourselves in! She's not into big city's with bumper to bumper she just wants to explore the us and live in different areas. My goal is to try and find a happy medium and get as close to Louisiana as possible! I love it there besides the humidity and mosquitoes! I'll keep that name in mind whenever winter rolls around and I can make my way down there! I have a young dog that I think can make it in the FT game so hopefully I can educate myself from the pros down there!