The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Living /training area options

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Little View Post
    If you have lived here, you know we have almost Zero training water. Texas; Conroe, College Station, would be money IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by MBellow74 View Post
    Raymond I hear you! We got plenty of water in Louisiana just not much of the training type! I got a bunch of friends that train there but are limited on water! Texas is seeming better and better... Mr Tim how are the training grounds? Plenty of water? I know in Texas most of everything is private land though.
    Good choices here. Yes lots of private land in Texas, but you can find some good public spots too. If you join a local retriver club you will make friends and probably gain access to good grounds so I wouldn't worry about that. There are lots of clubs and pros that live here. Giddings, College Station, Brenham, Sealy, Katy, and the Woodlands are semi near Houston. It just depends what commute you are willing to put up with to achieve your desired lifestyle given where you work. I just don't think you can go wrong with moving here given the economy, job market, and job growth. There are excellent places to raise a family and send kids to school. No, there's not tons of public land like there is out west, but this is an outdoorsman's paradise. This is God's country. Clearly I am biased though.
    Last edited by jackh; 08-01-2014 at 02:02 PM.

Thank you for your service to our country. When my husband got out of the army at Ft. Belvoir, VA years and years ago, we moved to N. CA and lived there for 35 years. When we moved there it was great. Weather is super. Unfortunately, the state of CA is now bankrupt, cost of living is sky high, land to do anything is at a premium, hunting isn't that good anymore and then there is the drought. Have lots of friends out there who keep us posted. We retired to SW VA 17 years ago and we love it. Lots of land and water to use for the asking, nicest people you ever met anywhere, and reasonable cost of living. We have 4 seasons and July and August are hot and humid, but the winters are not that bad and they don't tax the life out of you. Something to consider. There are lots of dog events within driving distance in VA, MD, NC and SC - even TN.

Mark i am somewhat familiar with cali but that is last on my list with some cons i already know about living there. Wyoming seems nice but with the harsh winters i would be better off staying down south. i know of people that go there for the summer and train but I'm not in that situation yet.

karen i would love to move back home....it was #1 on my list but ....unfortunately my wife doesn't want to move back just yet. so happy wife=happy life haha

tulip- thanks for the kind words. we try to live life right and always do the right things.god bless and thanks again

huff- funny you say that i have a good buddy in cali that is doing that right now.has his own kennel and working with the fire dept. he said he has plenty of time to train and travel.i might have to look into that.Do you know places in OK that are the best for that situation?

julia- i thought about even reenlisting and training dogs in the military but i would love to be on the civilian side training. might look into that and I'm sure they have jobs all over that train for the military.As far as the carolinas i don't think i want to be on that side of the US. Not a big fan of the carolinas being i was there for boot camp and some training. i didn't see all the land so i can't knock the whole area.thanks for the info

jackh- i got a bunch of great friends that i played college ball with that moved back to texas around brenham,katy, and college station.And like i said texas is high on the list being it's close to La and has lots of land and HT/FT. Good friend has a oil field company but working that life its hard to find time to train. where about do you live in texas? We're thinking around DFW area or S.A...Know any good areas to train and people around there ?

Pat- Tenn would be lovely. hear there is some great land and trainers in that area. the wife had Virginia on her list but i shot it down.. i don't know much about the area i guess i'll have to google it.

I'm a firefighter in okc. The sooner club and cimmaron club are nearby. Not too far from Texas or Kansas to go run events.
    CH Chisholm Trail's Backdraft Bay MH**
    Chisholm Trail's Crossfire Sophie JH**
    "I say goodbye to my weakness, so long to the regrets"

Quote Originally Posted by MBellow74 View Post
    jackh- i got a bunch of great friends that i played college ball with that moved back to texas around brenham,katy, and college station.And like i said texas is high on the list being it's close to La and has lots of land and HT/FT. Good friend has a oil field company but working that life its hard to find time to train. where about do you live in texas? We're thinking around DFW area or S.A...Know any good areas to train and people around there ?
    PM sent. Come to TX.

Thanks everyone. It's going to be fun choosing our next adventure and everyone gave great tips,tricks, and places to live!! Thanks again and god bless....train em up

I now reside in NW Indiana was born and raised here. I have also been blessed to have lived in Washington, Colorado, Montana and Texas. I lived in SW Wash. in the 80"s and absolutely loved it! I was raising kids then and is probably the best place to raise kids.Lots to see and do and schools are rated best in country.People live in SW Wash. and work across the river in Portland. Real estate is cheaper in Wash. so are real estate taxes, do your shopping in Portland (no sales tax). You can train year round. I lived half way between Houston and College Station in Texas. I loved Texas as I"m much older now and despise cold weather. Texas is HOT HUMID and everyone thinks their land is worth a fortune thus high lease prices.No knocking on doors in Texas and getting permission to do anything.Course being from La. would be easier than me being a Northener,took a long time to break those barriers. And don"t forget the snakes and cactus. For me NW Indiana works, I can spit to Chicago. I think I have one more move in me, when I retire I think I"ll go back to Texas.San Antonio area next time. Good Luck with your venture Guy

Guy- Washington sounds like a great place and I hear lots of great things about it! Looking into the state now but it's going to be hard to beat Texas! College station or FT worth area are seeming pretty nice! The humid part will suck but I'm use to it being from La. At least it won't be 115 everyday like in Yuma and you can train early mornings or late nights when it cools down! Time will tell! Thanks for all the info . Have a good one