The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my lab is a pointer

Default my lab is a pointer

2014-08-01 09.49.42(1).jpg

2014-08-01 09.48.38(1).jpg
    My lab points, I don't remember my other labs pointing, is this unusual?
    The dead branches were full of dove right before we walked up.

Sweet... love those that point...
    I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith

I discovered that my lab pointed while hunting woodcock with him. He jumped the first few and then saw or smelled one. He stopped and looked up at me. I told him to "stay" then flushed the bird. He pointed woodcock for 10 years and was better than any pointer that I owned because I could tell him to flush the birds once everyone was ready and safe after a point. Try to hone your dogs skills and don't be afraid to try him in pointing situations. Enjoy!

Say again? - your Lab's a painter or a punter?

MG

Huh. A pointing lab. Time to break that habit.

Wow, you've got a special dog with abilities that you didn't even plan on! Pointing Labs are becoming more mainstream. Most breeders I have noted are in Pacific NW and Colorado areas. I have a friend here in Maine who has one from Colorado, his dog is an awesome waterfowler and upland hunter, now running MH tests all owner trained. There are pointing Lab competitions and titles, but not very widespread. Maybe you have a whole new sport to try with your dog! Check out APLA - American Pointing Lab Association.
    Last edited by dogluvah; 08-01-2014 at 02:26 PM.

APLA is a great organization, they're worth checking out! With a little encouragement you can have that lab pointing like a traditional pointing breed.

Assassinator,
    Congrats on the pointing dog. From the research that I've read is that roughly 10% of labs point naturally. It is completely possibly that your dog's pedigree has dog's that pointed and the owner's never realized it or like in the case of birddog22 chose to discourage it. If you choose to enhance and train for the point in your lab I suggest Julie Knutson's book(s) on training a pointing lab. Julie is a very well respected trainer of dogs that point and dogs that don't. My one suggestion about pointing labs is that birds make a bird dog. Expose them to as many as possible, wild is preferred, pen raised is acceptable. If you want to try to title your lab I suggest you check out the APLA as ks_hunting suggested. If you are interested I'm hosting the Oklahoma test this fall. Feel free to PM me with questions (I swear I won't hold the fact that your from TX against you).
    Owned by GMPR HR UH Blackjack's Gen. Stonewall Jackson SH

If your happy with that then consider yourself fortunate, many many people have paid over inflated prices for moderately bred PL puppies only to end up with a flusher.

Oh boy....