The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Whistles: Whats everybody using?

dalassassassassassee. pink. tuned to perfection with metal tape!

0617141157[1].jpg
    john mccallie

Dallasasse hunt tester and fox 40.

I'm already deaf in one ear... I need the protection of a whistle with a "cone" or shroud to project the sound forward away from my head. The Fox 40 whistles are simply too loud for me. I use a Dallasasse hunt tester now, but have used the Mega as well. My dogs don't seem to mind the brand of whistle all that much as long as I am the one blowing. They react differently when my husband whistles them, regardless of whistle brand, and disregard almost everyone else. Maybe they recognize the style of the blowing itself, rather than the whistle.
    Pam
    HR Roughwater Stacked & Packed, "Babe," MH, CD, RN, CGC, WDQ

Started with the answer and it did everything I needed it to pre FT training. Then switched to dalahasse FT blue and never looked back. Keep the answer in the house in case I need it when we go out for potty breaks. It's not quite as annoying to neighbors as the dalahasse!

Sonic Blast from Fox 40. Loudest little whistle I'm aware of but will also throttle way down.
    Last edited by Rick Hall; 08-03-2014 at 06:41 PM.
    If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2014-2015 season log)

The whistles without a shroud (like a fox 40) are a fantastic way to go deaf. They're louder for you than for the dog.

Pealess orange Gonia mega whistle for many years. The Acme whistle in the Green Monster and the Dallesasse whistles are hard to blow and sustain. Why would people who run hunt tests bother with whistles designed for long range?

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Pealess orange Gonia mega whistle for many years. The Acme whistle in the Green Monster and the Dallesasse whistles are hard to blow and sustain. Why would people who run hunt tests bother with whistles designed for long range?
    Because they don't blow out the ear drums of the judges like the Fox 40 does...
    The dog will always prove you wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Charles C. View Post
    The whistles without a shroud (like a fox 40) are a fantastic way to go deaf. They're louder for you than for the dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by Labs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pam Spears View Post
    I'm already deaf in one ear... I need the protection of a whistle with a "cone" or shroud to project the sound forward away from my head. The Fox 40 whistles are simply too loud for me.....
    the fox is a nasty little tool,
    and if you sit out tossing the memory all day,
    you will see it is not as loud as you think it is at the line.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Labs View Post
    I haven't seen anyone use a Fox 40 in years, given the amount of blow back to the handler one wonders why anyone would use it.