RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Whistles: Whats everybody using?

12K views 51 replies 40 participants last post by  2 labs 
#1 ·
just as the title says...whats everybody using for a whistle?

currently have a roy gonia classic, but I think I'm going to pick up a new one, probably looking for a pea-less whistle just for working in the winter.

#34 ·
The green monster pb-100 by Pat Burns

#35 ·
Hmmm. . . I just started using the Fox 40 and am delighted with it. It is the first whistle I've ever tried that I can get consistent volume and tone out of. It does not sound too loud to me, and nobody around me is covering their ears yet that I can see. Wonder why the difference?

#36 ·
Hmmm. . . I just started using the Fox 40 and am delighted with it. It is the first whistle I've ever tried that I can get consistent volume and tone out of. It does not sound too loud to me, and nobody around me is covering their ears yet that I can see. Wonder why the difference?
You are probably using hot air rather than regular air :).

#39 ·
Roy Gonia clear Mega whistle for me. Count me in the "I hate the Fox 40" club. The blow out the handler's and judge's ears. The sound dissipates more than folks think on that whistle.

#41 ·
Gonia clear and clear Mega for training and the Gonia special hunting.

Another member of the I hate Fox 40's club Regards

( judging tests for a few years I have noticed it really doesn't matter what whistle is used if the handler doesn't know how to blow it )

#45 ·
I have a Fox 40, one with the rubber (or whatever it is) guard on the mouthpiece. It is so small, so comfortable in my mouth, and easy to hold in my mouth, I would love to use it as my primary whistle. But I just couldn't bear the sound of it, it made my only working ear literally short out when I blew it. Makes me wonder if referees and umpires who use them also wear hearing protection or are universally hard of hearing. I chose the hunt tester over the gonia mega just because it's a little smaller on my lanyard. And although my hunt test dog doesn't have to deal with the distances of the field trailers, when she's running through head-high crackly dry grass or splashing through running water, I still have trouble blowing loud enough for her to hear me. The hunt tester whistle needs a harder blow, true, but the Mega isn't as loud, so it's kind of a wash. I just went with the smaller size.

#46 ·
Whistle mouth piece tip For years I have got milk hose tubing (or similar quality) w/inner specs slightly smaller than my whistle mouth piece. Cut the tubing appropriately , place in boiling water -extract-slip on mouthpiece. Saves your teeth , anxiety helper and hard to crush whistle mouth piece in moments of frustration. LOL

#47 ·
I just bought several whistles, including a hammerhead and a Fox 40 mini. I like the ease of the Fox and the high pitch, but wish it came in a model with an megaphone to direct the sound out a bit more. The hammerhead is supposed to direct the sound straight out, so easier on the ears, but the tone is a bit low for my taste. I also have a couple of the Gonia clear with pea, and a Gonia with a megaphone.

#48 · (Edited)
I like the ease of the Fox and the high pitch, but wish it came in a model with an megaphone to direct the sound out a bit more.
I've been running Fox 40's loudest, the Sonic Blast, which has a bit of forward baffling, but I still find wise to make a megaphone of my hands when I do more than peep on it. Don't know how much it really affects downrange audibility but know the guys in the blind must appreciate it.

#50 ·
Along with the other whistles, I also bought a Gonia clear with the megaphone. It seems nice too.

#51 ·
I use a Fox 40 and have for years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.