RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

EIC Study - Updated 1/23/07

30K views 91 replies 42 participants last post by  Cindy Read 
#1 ·
Chris Atkinson said:
Keith, Can you please type a brief summary of how folks can do this?

Unfortunately, many folks want the test but don't feel they have the time to go out of their way to participate.

I know I'm heading into the vet for overdue shots and could easily have some blood drawn.
The study is being done at the U of Minnesota in collaboration with the U of Sask. They need blood samples from both affected and un-affected dogs in order to locate the gene(s?) responsible. I keep bringing this up because I think EIC is a serious threat to the health of field Labs and, with our cooperation, it looks like a test can be developed for carriers. (Like the breakthru in CNM.)

Please help them. If you're in for annual shots, just have your vet draw some blood.

It is easy to participate, just email for the forms: minork@umn.edu
It would be best to include your dog's sire and dam in the email.

Thanks from me and my Labrabuddies.

#28 ·
Katie,

Is there any specific line of dogs that you would like to have blood from? Private Emails are possible and would be responded to quickly by our group of lab lovers. Thanks for your hard work.l

#29 ·
Sadly, because of confidentiality, I'm not allowed to disclose a preference for specific lines. We are most interested in field trial lines that have become very popular, as they will have the most related dogs. I'm happy to respond individually to email at minork@umn.edu or phone calls to 612-624-5322. If necessary, we can also work to help defray shipping costs if multiple samples can be combined into one shipment.

#31 ·
Katie,

Thanks for your hard work!

Lainee, Flash and Bullet

#32 ·
Re: From the U

Katie Minor said:
To begin with we log in all the dogs we receive and whether or not they have been diagnosed as affected. This is done by a series of tests to rule out other causes and by looking at the rather specific characteristics of how a dog with EIC collapses. It?s usually when the dog is very excited and in a high intensity training mode. The dog will become wobbly and unsteady on his feet a lose control of the rear limbs. This collapse can lead to death if the dog is not cooled down. Dogs who have collapsed only once or twice and the owner is unsure of the cause are marked as unknowns. Dogs that have been vigorously worked and have never had an episode of collapse are labeled as unaffected.
I guess this doesn't address my concerns at all. In fact it seems to confirm them.
I have heard of "unaffected" dogs becoming "affected" seemingly overnight. I have also seen dogs dx'd with heat stroke that may be called unaffected.
What about true heat stroke being dx'd as EIC? Dogs that have had a problem with heat seem more prone to having problems again.

I DO applaud the work being done here. Thank you for taking on such a huge project. There are concerns though and hopefully they are addressed in the numbers at the end.

#33 ·
Re: From the U

achiro said:
Katie Minor said:
To begin with we log in all the dogs we receive and whether or not they have been diagnosed as affected. This is done by a series of tests to rule out other causes and by looking at the rather specific characteristics of how a dog with EIC collapses. It?s usually when the dog is very excited and in a high intensity training mode. The dog will become wobbly and unsteady on his feet a lose control of the rear limbs. This collapse can lead to death if the dog is not cooled down. Dogs who have collapsed only once or twice and the owner is unsure of the cause are marked as unknowns. Dogs that have been vigorously worked and have never had an episode of collapse are labeled as unaffected.
I guess this doesn't address my concerns at all. In fact it seems to confirm them.
I have heard of "unaffected" dogs becoming "affected" seemingly overnight. I have also seen dogs dx'd with heat stroke that may be called unaffected.
What about true heat stroke being dx'd as EIC? Dogs that have had a problem with heat seem more prone to having problems again.

I DO applaud the work being done here. Thank you for taking on such a huge project. There are concerns though and hopefully they are addressed in the numbers at the end.
I guess I don't see how the red doesn't answer your question, Russ. But then, you always were a conspiracy theorist. :twisted:

Thanks, Katie!

#34 ·
Katie,
Thanks for the great information.

I do have a question about the genetic percentages. You covered them well, except I didn't see what the percentages would be if you had one dog with normal chromosomes and breed it to a carrier that is unaffected. What percentage of the pups would be normal, carriers or affected?
Thanks for your help!

The RTF is great for making this a sticky so that we can all learn more about this and stay on top of the research. I will get samples from my dogs to you the next time they visit our Vet.

#35 ·
gone2thedogs said:
... he percentages would be if you had one dog with normal chromosomes and breed it to a carrier that is unaffected.
IF it's a single gene recessive, as currently suspected, the average would be 50% un-affected "carriers" and 50% clear. (The same as breeding a black/black dog to a black dog that carries yellow. In that case all would be black, "unaffected", but half would carry the "defect" yellow.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mendelian_inheritance

Mendel's fellow monks destroyed all his scientific papers right after they burried him, so his work was only discovered 30+ years later in a copy he sent somewhere. He did experiemnts with bees and accidently bred some ferocious ones... Smart, but not lucky.

Similar to crossing a black lab out to a coyote :)

#37 ·
Evening Appts Available at the U of MN

One of the roadblocks in going to the U of MN to have the samples
collected for FREE, was that samples were only collected during the day. People did not want to take time off from work to have the samples drawn.

Katie Minork, our research contact at the U of MN, is going to
arrange evening appointments for these draws. If you would like to
contribute to this IMPORTANT research, please email or call Katie to schedule an evening appt.

Take copies of your dog's pedigree to your appointment. If your dog is on any medications, bring those with your or bring a detailed list of the medications. You will also have to complete a consent form and a questionnaire for your dog. Katie can email these forms to you or you can complete them at the time of your appointment.

Katie's email address is minork@umn.edu or contact her at 612-624-5322.

If you can draw your own samples, contact Katie and she will send you the supplies. Be sure to put your dog's name on all tubes so they can be matched to the paperwork. Include your dog's pedigree, the consent form and the questionnaire.

If your vet will draw the samples for free, the U of MN will reimburse you for the shipping costs. Contact Katie for the FedEx account charge number.

Please share this with anyone who might be interested in helping.

#39 ·
North Mountain said:
the U of MN will reimburse you for the shipping costs
:( I wish I had know that before I shipped my samples, there goes $40. :?

Oh well, it's for a good cause.

Laura
My shipping charges were even more than that, but it will be money well spent if it can help in their research. Got an email that they received the samples from my 3 dogs today.

Andy

#40 ·
Thanks

I want to thank all of you who have sent in samples. A test for EIC carriers would be wonderful.

The shipper lost my first set of 5 samples and I had to re-sample at my vet and re-send,

but compare that with the chance of a test that can guarantee your next pup will be free of EIC... Never mind the improvement in the long-term health of the breed.

Thanks to those who helped and to the vet teams at U of MN ans U of Saks. And thanks to Chris for making this "stick."

#41 ·
I scanned the thread quickly and didn't see an answer to this question: Do the researchers have an idea how long it might be before they are successful in determining how EIC is passed and if determined, how long before they could have a test for general use? 1 year, 5 years, 10 year?

#42 ·
Quote:
the U of MN will reimburse you for the shipping costs

Shipped mine out yesterday morning. Costs some bucks between the vet bill and shipping. I really wish I'd read the latest posts before I paid for shipping. Either way it's worth the $ and effort.

#43 ·
we are not breeders/ just love labs/ we have a hunting preserve and lost our good dog a year ago, I have posted on this topic before and I am amazed at the amount of people who do not know about this problem. Our new dog is 13 months old, has awesome bloodlines and is even better in the field. He has now had 4 episodes of EIC, and if you have ever seen it,,, it is the most heart wrenching thing in the world. Our black male will literally try to drag himself with his front legs so he can continue to hunt. We have to physically stop him, I have been told dogs can die if allowed to push on. We have had 4 different groups of hunters with us on these occassions and it has made grown men cry, to see a potentially great dog want but can't continue the hunt. The info I have gotten about this test study is that they want 3 episodes to truly consider it EIC. I hope I don't sound hostile, but we love this guy and are very bummed. OUr breeder has been great, but some of the other kennels in his lineage deny even knowing anything about this kind of problem and it definitely is affecting thier dogs.... well it is because my dog comes right down the line from a GMHR who is in the Hall of Fame. If you love labs; (brittanys are showing some of this too) We need to do whatever it takes to help.

#44 ·
lovesblacklabs,
Trust me, I understand your feelings! It tears me apart to watch such a talented dog have an episode and still try to hunt. I have learned the warning signs and stop mine as soon as an episode starts, prior to the rear legs giving out. For the most part, upland hunting is just a dream to her now.....

Mine took part in the Auburn research, and will take part in the U of MN DNA analysis as well. We need to help how ever we can to try to find out more so that educated decisions can be made. Today many breeders just sweep this under the carpet and don't inform buyers about this condition. Putting the risk on to people like us. Heck, my breeder is still breeding his stud to other dogs after multiple cases of EIC type symptoms from pups. He figures that if he has to buy back a pup every litter or so it is OK with him financially..... Mine is the only one that has gone through the Auburn study to date. What they don't understand is that we buy these dogs to love, be family members and hunt with. If a pup has this condition and can't hunt it tears a part of our hearts out and the dogs as well. It just plain sucks!

#45 ·
gone2thedogs said:
Heck, my breeder is still breeding his stud to other dogs after multiple cases of EIC type symptoms from pups. He figures that if he has to buy back a pup every litter or so it is OK with him financially.....It just plain sucks!
No, it is more than SUCKS...it is all for the BUCKS! I hope that you run as far away from that breeder as you can get and you advise anyone else with whom you talk about labs to do the same.

#46 ·
gone2thedogs said:
. Heck, my breeder is still breeding his stud to other dogs after multiple cases of EIC type symptoms from pups. He figures that if he has to buy back a pup every litter or so it is OK with him financially.....
I am confused. Are you saying the stud dog owner buys back affected pups, from outside bitches? I would like to see his stud contact!!!

#47 ·
Aussie,
No, he has not bought back pups from breedings he did not own the bitch to. The worst part is he is not telling the owners of the bitches that his dog is bred to that there have been cases of EIC in his pups. He puts all the risk on them with none of the knowledge, or decision making.....
Not right in my mind.....

#48 ·
Updated info from Dr. Taylor for those that care.

elow is an excerpt from correspondence with Dr. Susan Taylor in regards to the most resent information available on EIC. Also attached is an updated information sheet on EIC dated January 2006 as well as a link to view EIC collapse.

Quote:
I am attaching our latest very detailed information sheet on the syndrome. The clinical and survey phases of our study on EIC at the University of Saskatchewan are completed and nearly ready for scientific publication - unfortunately until we find the causative gene we will not have a diagnostic test - we just need to rule out other things that can look similar. I have, over the last 10 years, consulted on many dogs that owners or vets thought had EIC but they actually had an unusual form of epilepsy, CNM, cardiac arrhythmias, low blood sugar, low cortisol levels, even lumbosacral disease - all of which were diagnosable through careful physical exams and lab testing. That being said, I am certain that EIC is the most common cause of recurrent exercise induced collapse in young adults in the Labrador breed.

I would encourage owners of affected dogs to submit pedigrees and blood samples to the lab in MN to help us with our heritability study (it looks like this is going to be autosomal recessive, but could possibly be dominant with incomplete penetrance) and our search for the gene (they feel they are getting close). Until we find the gene, we will not be able to test. Once we find the gene we can (and will) set up a test and do for this disease what the group from France has done for CNM - giving people the information they need to know who to breed, who to breed to, and which pups should go to which types of homes (even severely affected dogs live perfectly normal lives as family pets). At the back of the handout are a couple of forms that can be used to submit blood samples to my collaborators in Minnesota from affected dogs and relatives of affected dogs.

View EIC collapse
http://www.vidiLife.com/reloc.cfm?cryp=010-03A99271-B9F3-4BF6-BC9D-B

PLEASE NOTE BLOOD SAMPLE SUBMISSION FORMS AT BOTTOM

EXERCISE INDUCED COLLAPSE IN LABRADOR RETRIEVERS
Susan M. Taylor, DVM, Diplomate ACVIM (Internal Medicine)
Western College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
January 2006 Update

A syndrome of exercise intolerance and collapse (EIC) has been recognized in young adult Labrador Retrievers.

A comprehensive study of this condition is underway involving collaborators from the Western College of Veterinary Medicine (WCVM) of the University of Saskatchewan , the College of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Minnesota and the Comparative Neuromuscular Unit at the University of California. The objectives of this study are to (1) describe the syndrome so that it can be recognized by dog owners, veterinarians and trainers, (2) to thoroughly evaluate affected dogs to try to establish an efficient means of diagnosis and to gain some insight into the cause of the collapse and (3) to determine the genetic basis for the collapse syndrome. This research is being supported by generous grants from the Morris Animal Foundation and the WCVM's Companion Animal Health Fund.

The following is a summary of some of what we have learned in the last 5 years about the syndrome of Exercise Induced Collapse in Labrador Retrievers:

WHO GETS IT?

The syndrome of exercise intolerance and collapse (EIC) is being observed with increasing frequency in young adult Labrador Retrievers. Most, but not all, affected dogs have been from field-trial breedings. Black, yellow and chocolate Labradors of both sexes are affected, with the distribution of colors and sexes closely reflecting the typical distribution in field trials (black males most common). Signs become apparent in young dogs as they encounter heavy training or strenuous activity - usually between 5 months and 3 years of age (average 14 months). In dogs used for field trials, this usually coincides with the age at which they enter heavy training. Littermates and other related dogs are commonly affected but depending on their temperament and lifestyle may or may not manifest symptoms. Affected dogs exhibiting symptoms of collapse are usually described as being extremely fit, muscular, prime athletic specimens of their breed with an excitable temperament and lots of drive.

DESCRIPTION OF COLLAPSE

Affected dogs can tolerate mild to moderate exercise, but 5 to 20 minutes of strenuous exercise with excitement induces weakness and then collapse. Severely affected dogs may collapse whenever they are exercised to this extent - other dogs only exhibit collapse sporadically and all of the factors important in inducing an episode have not yet been well established.

The first thing noted is usually a rocking or forced gait. The rear limbs then become weak and unable to support weight. Many affected dogs will continue to run while dragging their back legs. Some of the dogs appear to be incoordinated, especially in the rear limbs, with a wide-based, long stride rather than the short, stiff strides typically associated with muscle weakness. In some dogs the rear limb collapse progresses to forelimb weakness and occasionally to a total inability to move. Some dogs appear to have a loss of balance and may fall over, particularly as they recover from collapse. Most collapsed dogs are totally conscious and alert, still trying to run and retrieve but as many as 25% of affected dogs will appear stunned or disoriented during the episode.

It is common for the symptoms to worsen for 3 to 5 minutes even after exercise has been terminated. NOTE: A few affected dogs have died during exercise or while resting immediately after an episode of exercise-induced collapse so an affected dog's exercise should ALWAYS be stopped at the first hint of incoordination or wobbliness

Most dogs recover quickly and are usually normal within 5 to 25 minutes with no residual weakness or stiffness. Dogs are not painful during the collapse or after recovery. Massage of the muscles or palpation of the joints or spine is not uncomfortable. Affected dogs are not stiff or sore or limping upon recovery.

Body Temperature

Body temperature is normal at rest in dogs with EIC but is almost always dramatically increased at the time of collapse (temperature >41.5 C, >107.6F). We have shown experimentally, however, that clinically normal Labrador Retrievers doing this type of exercise for 10 minutes routinely had similar dramatic elevations in body temperature yet exhibited no signs of weakness , collapse or disorientation. Dogs with EIC will pant hard during the time of collapse, in an attempt to cool off, but this is similar to normal dogs exercised in the same manner. The time it takes for dogs with EIC to return to their resting temperature after exercise is not different from normal dogs. Although temperature may play some role in EIC, and may contribute to the death of some affected dogs, inability to properly regulate temperature does not appear to be the underlying problem in dogs with EIC.

FACTORS CONTRIBUTING TO COLLAPSE IN DOGS WITH EIC

Ambient Temperature. Actual ambient temperature does not seem to be a critical factor contributing to collapse, but if the temperature is much warmer or the humidity is much higher than what the dog is accustomed to, collapse may be more likely. Affected dogs are less likely to collapse while swimming than when being exercised on land. There are dogs, however, who have exhibited collapse while breaking ice retrieving waterfowl in frigid temperatures and there are dogs who have drowned when experiencing EIC -related collapse in the water.

Excitement. Dogs that exhibit the symptoms of EIC are most likely to have intense, excitable personalities, and it is apparent that their level of excitement plays a role in inducing the collapse. There are some severely affected dogs who, if they are very excited, do not require much exercise to induce the collapse. Dogs with EIC are most likely to collapse when engaging in activities that they find very exciting or stressful. This can include retrieving of live birds, participation in field trials, training drills with electric collar pressure and quartering for upland game.

Type of Exercise. Routine exercise like jogging, hiking, swimming , most waterfowl hunting and even agility or flyball training are not very likely to induce an episode in dogs with EIC. Activities with continuous intense exercise , particularly if accompanied by a high level of excitement or anxiety most commonly cause collapse. Activities commonly implicated include grouse or pheasant hunting, repetitive "happy retrieves", retrieving drills or repetition of difficult marks or blinds where the dog is being repeatedly corrected or is anticipating collar correction, and running alongside an ATV.

VETERINARY EVALUATION OF AFFECTED DOGS/DIAGNOSIS

Twenty affected dogs have undergone extensive testing before and after exercise at the WCVM. Nervous system, cardiovascular and musculoskeletal examinations are unremarkable in dogs with EIC as is routine blood analysis at rest and during an episode of collapse. These dogs do not experience heart rhythm abnormalities, low blood sugar, electrolyte disturbances or respiratory difficulty that could explain their collapse. Body temperature is remarkably elevated during collapse (average 107.1F, many up to 108F), but this has been found in normal exercise-tolerant Labradors as well. Affected dogs hyperventilate and experience dramatic alterations in their blood carbon dioxide concentration (decreased) and their blood pH (increased) but these changes were also observed in the normal exercising dogs. Testing for the neuromuscular disorder myasthenia gravis is negative. Thyroid gland function and adrenal gland cortisol production appear to be normal. Affected dogs are negative for the genetic mutation known to cause malignant hyperthermia in dogs (a different muscle disorder). Metabolic testing of blood and muscle from affected dogs before and after exercise suggests that these dogs may have a defect in the chemical reactions necessary for energy production in their muscles and in their brain. The precise defect has not been identified and the changes are mild and not conclusive. Further investigation is ongoing.

At this time (until we develop a genetic test) EIC can only be diagnosed by ruling out all other muscle disorders and by observing characteristic clinical features, history and laboratory test results in affected dogs. Any dog with exercise intolerance should always have a complete veterinary evaluation to rule-out joint diseases, heart failure, anemia, heart rhythm disturbances, respiratory problems, low blood sugar , myasthenia gravis, hypoadrenocorticism (low cortisol), other muscle diseases and other systemic disorders.

LONG TERM OUTLOOK

Symptomatic dogs are rarely able to continue training or competition. It seems that if affected dogs are removed from training and not exercised excessively the condition will not progress and they will be fine as pets. They are able to continue to live pretty normal lives, if owners limit their intense exercise and excitement. Many dogs will seem to "get better" as they age and slow down their activity and their excitement level. It is important that owners of dogs with EIC be made aware that the dog's exercise should be stopped at the first hint of incoordination or wobbliness as some affected dogs have died during collapse when their owners allowed or encouraged continuing exercise. Not all of the EIC deaths have occurred in dogs rated as severely affected based on their number of episodes of collapse or the amount of activity required to induce an episode.

TREATMENT

As the actual biochemical defect underlying EIC is still unknown, it is difficult to recommend an effective treatment. Owners of some affected dogs have reported that if they feed their dogs a higher fat diet and/or keep more weight on their dog, that the episodes may be more difficult to induce. The best treatment in most dogs consists of avoiding intensive exercise in conjunction with extreme excitement and ending exercise at the first sign of weakness/wobbliness. A few dogs have, however, responded to medical treatment to the degree that they can re-enter training and competition at a high level. Each of the treatments listed below has been effective in a few dogs, but none of them has been 100% effective in all dogs.

Treatment as a metabolic myopathy
There is some biochemical evidence that EIC may be caused by a defect in oxidative metabolism within the brain and muscle. This means that dogs with EIC could be deficient in a substance needed for normal energy production in these tissues. Carnitine is a compound normally found in high concentrations in muscle and brain that is necessary for transport of fatty acids into the mitochondria for energy production in these tissues. We have found that approximately 30% of dogs with EIC have lower than normal levels of muscle carnitine. A few affected dogs have had a positive clinical response to oral supplementation with carnitine (50mg/kg 2X/day), CoEnzyme Q10 (100mg/day) and Riboflavin (100 mg/day) - a standard cocktail for metabolic myopathies/neuropathies.

Treatment with 7-KETO
There is anecdotal evidence that a number of severely affected dogs have responded positively to a nutraceutical called 7-KETO. This is a breakdown product of the hormone dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA), a steroid made by the adrenal glands and brain. The dosage used has been 100 mg twice each day. The precise mechanism of action of 7-KETO in affected dogs is unknown, but it has demonstrated positive effects on energy production in the muscle and brain as well as acting as a neuroactive steroid, with effects on several neurotransmitter receptors in the brain.

Treatment with Phenobarbital
There are now numerous reports of quite a few severely affected dogs improving when they were treated with Phenobarbital (2 mg/kg every 12 hours). This drug is an anti-seizure medication commonly used to treat dogs with epilepsy. Phenobarbital decreases the intrinsic excitability of brain cells and decreases the spread of abnormal electrical discharges in the brain. The mechanism underlying its effectiveness in dogs with EIC is uncertain but is under investigation.

HEREDITY

Littermates and other related dogs are commonly affected, suggesting that EIC is hereditary. Clinically unaffected dams and sires commonly produce litters with more than one affected dog, suggesting either an autosomal recessive mode of inheritance (must be inherited from both parents) or inheritance as a dominant trait with incomplete penetrance (can be inherited from just one parent). A few clinically unaffected males have sired many puppies with EIC when bred to different bitches. Pedigree analysis of greater than 150 affected dogs is underway in an attempt to more precisely determine the mode of inheritance.

Major difficulty currently exists in classifying individual dogs as definitively affected or unaffected by EIC. Some dogs may have the genetic makeup and metabolic abnormalities underlying EIC, yet they never collapse because they are not asked to perform strenuous exercise or they may perform the exercise without the mix of enthusiasm and excitement necessary to induce collapse. We will not be able to identify these dogs as being affected by EIC until there is a simple, specific test genetic for the condition.

DNA harvested from the blood of affected dogs and their relatives is currently being used to perform a full genome scan at the University of Minnesota in order to identify a genetic marker for EIC, and find the genetic mutation causing EIC. This is a slow and tedious process. Once the affected gene is identified, we will be able to use DNA testing to identify dogs that carry this gene as well as to identify dogs that are affected before they start to show clinical signs. A genetic test would allow veterinarians to definitively diagnose the condition using a simple blood test. As well, breeders could test their breeding stock to identify affected dogs and carriers. The test could also be used to test litters of puppies - obviously affected dogs should not be sold into working homes and known carriers should not be bred.

In order for the genome scan to be successful, large numbers of samples must be collected from affected dogs and their affected and unaffected relatives. The most useful families for molecular genetic analysis are those for which we have DNA samples from multiple closely related affected dogs (siblings or half-siblings) and their parents. Many more samples are needed to ensure the success of this study.

HOW CAN YOU HELP?

We have completed our experimental part of this research study and we are currently in the data analysis stage and we are preparing the results for scientific publication. We are, however, still very interested in obtaining pedigrees and blood samples (to help us with our DNA analysis) from affected dogs and their relatives (whether the relatives are affected or unaffected).

Dogs enrolled in this portion of the study should have had at least 3 episodes of collapse with exercise/excitement. It is very important that we not include in this portion of the study dogs that do not really have EIC (ie they have some other reason for the collapse). All dogs enrolled in this portion of the study should therefore have had a full veterinary evaluation to rule out other causes of collapse. This should include:

Physical examination: normal (no muscle atrophy or pain in back, joints or muscles)
Neurologic examination: normal (normal gait and reflexes)
Cardiovascular auscultation, ECG, thoracic radiographs and cardiac ultrasound: normal
Hematologic and biochemical evaluation of blood : normal
ACTH Stimulation test (to rule out hypoadrenocorticism): normal

If you have a dog who meets these criteria and appears to have collapse with exercise/excitement that fits the description of EIC, please send:
(1) a description of your dog?s episodes and a summary of veterinary evaluation
(2) a copy of your dog's 3 generation pedigree
(3) a blood sample collected by your veterinarian
(4) The attached DNA submission form (filled out)

to:
Canine Exercise Intolerance Project
Jim Mickelson and Ned Patterson

NOTE: All information provided is kept strictly confidential.

DNA SUBMISSION FORM - AFFECTED DOG
PLEASE FILL OUT THIS FORM AND TAKE TO YOUR VET FOR SAMPLE

Researchers at the Western College of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Saskatchewan and at the College of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Minnesota are involved in a research program investigating Exercise Induced Collapse in Labrador Retrievers.

???????????? a dog owned by ???????????? appears to be affected by this condition.

We would like for you to collect and send a sample for DNA analysis to our laboratory in Minnesota from this dog. This requires 6 to 8 mls of blood collected in EDTA. After placing the blood in the tube, gently rock the tube(s) a few times to distribute the anticoagulant. The sample should be refrigerated and mixed at least once daily until shipping. It is better to ship on a Monday?Wednesday rather than at the end of the week. Do NOT ship on a Friday. Sample must arrive at the lab within 5 days of collection. CALL THE LAB TO LET THEM KNOW IT IS COMING ON THE DAY YOU SEND IT.

Label the tube with the dog's name. and the owners name and AFFECTED. The blood sample should be packed in a small insulated container with one or more cool packs. Must be kept cool but not frozen. Ship by overnight/one-day delivery (FEDEX) to:

Canine Exercise Intolerance Project
c/o: Jim Mickelson and Ned Patterson
Canine Neuromuscular Diseases lab, University of Minnesota
Veterinary Teaching Hospital, 1352 Boyd Avenue, Bldg 371
St. Paul, MN,55108. Phone: 612-624-5322

Include a copy of this form with the sample.
IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU INCLUDE A COPY OF THE DOG'S PEDIGREE WITH THE SAMPLE!!

Thank you for your help.

DNA SUBMISSION FORM - RELATIVES OF AN AFFECTED DOG
PLEASE FILL OUT THIS FORM AND TAKE TO YOUR VET FOR SAMPLE

Researchers at the Western College of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Saskatchewan and at the College of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Minnesota are involved in a research program investigating Exercise Induced Collapse in Labrador Retrievers.

???????????? a dog owned by ???????????? appears to be affected by this condition.

It is important that we test relatives of affected dogs in order to try to find the genetic cause of EIC. (use additional forms if required)

Name of dog Name of owner Relation to affected dog
indicate for each
dog if aff or unaff

_____________ Aff/Unaff__________________________________________

_____________ Aff/Unaff __________________________________________

_____________ Aff/Unaff _________________________________________
Aff = this dog has had at least one episode of collapse with exercise or excitement
Unaff: This dog has never shown evidence of wobbliness or collapse

We would like for you to collect and send a sample for DNA analysis to our laboratory in Minnesota from each of these dogs. This requires 6 to 8 mls of blood collected in EDTA. After placing the blood in the tube, gently rock the tube(s) a few times to distribute the anticoagulant. The sample should be refrigerated and mixed at least once daily until shipping. It is better to ship on a Monday?Wednesday rather than at the end of the week. Do NOT ship on a Friday. Sample must arrive at the lab within 5 days of collection. CALL THE LAB TO LET THEM KNOW IT IS COMING ON THE DAY YOU SEND IT.
Label the tube with the dog's name. and the owners name and AFFECTED or UNAFFECTED. The blood sample should be packed in a small insulated container with one or more cool packs. Must be kept cool but not frozen. Ship by overnight/one-day delivery (FEDEX) to:

Canine Exercise Intolerance Project c/o: Jim Mickelson and Ned Patterson
Canine Neuromuscular Diseases lab, University of Minnesota
Veterinary Teaching Hospital, 1352 Boyd Avenue, Bldg 371
St. Paul, MN,55108. Phone: 612-624-5322

Include a copy of this completed form with the sample as well as a copy of the dog's pedigree

Thank you for your help.

#50 ·
LOOK AT DR ED ON EIC!!!!

IT IS SCARY/HORRIFYING TO EVEN THINK ABOUT THIS BEING WORSE THAN MYOPATHY, EH!!!!!!!
WHAT DO WE/"I' DO?????
I AM TRYING TO MAKE GOOD, ON SOMETHING WE CANNOT EVEN PROVE?
ANYTHING IT TAKES TO BECOME AN HONEST/REPEATABLE BREEDER, I WILL DO FOR THESE PUPS/OWNERS...............
JUSTONE

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.