The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ebola Patient arrives

Our military has some nasty stuff you have never heard of. While it seems to be humanitarian in bringing Ebola patients to our soil for care, the risk to an entire Nation if an accident were to occur could wipe out millions. Atlanta is populated by close to 1/2 million people. That is no small village in Africa. With Air travel all you need is one infected person to start sending the virus all over the world.

While some may think accidents do not happen, Mr. Murphy is always willing to throw a wrench into the operation. The fact that these two people contracted Ebola proves accidents happen. You can only be so careful, and mistakes happen.
    I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith

Quote Originally Posted by .44 magnum View Post
    Our military has some nasty stuff you have never heard of. While it seems to be humanitarian in bringing Ebola patients to our soil for care, the risk to an entire Nation if an accident were to occur could wipe out millions. Atlanta is populated by close to 1/2 million people. That is no small village in Africa. With Air travel all you need is one infected person to start sending the virus all over the world.

While some may think accidents do not happen, Mr. Murphy is always willing to throw a wrench into the operation. The fact that these two people contracted Ebola proves accidents happen. You can only be so careful, and mistakes happen.
    I'm not all fired up about them coming back to the mainland BUT these people are US Citizens...What if the same outrage to them coming back were to be put on the children who are illegal and possibly coming here with communicable diseases...

Not a conspiracy kinda person, but there sure seems to be a double standard here...What is going to happen in the future if there is an outbreak of some infectious disease, are we going to isolate entire communities and restrict them from leaving the infected area to seek treatment, or are we going to restrict US citizens from coming home to seek the best medical care available..havent made up my mind on this one just yet
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    I'm not all fired up about them coming back to the mainland BUT these people are US Citizens...What if the same outrage to them coming back were to be put on the children who are illegal and possibly coming here with communicable diseases...

Not a conspiracy kinda person, but there sure seems to be a double standard here...What is going to happen in the future if there is an outbreak of some infectious disease, are we going to isolate entire communities and restrict them from leaving the infected area to seek treatment, or are we going to restrict US citizens from coming home to seek the best medical care available..havent made up my mind on this one just yet

Me either but you can bet your sweet cheeks. Remember the Japanese during WW2. Now I do believe they would get the best medical care but they would also become the first Guinea Pigs.

England is trying to round everyone involved with this flight up. Even the fuel men.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/all-about/gatwick%20airport

Feds are looking to test first group of vaccine patients this fall. My, with all the volunteer doctors and nurses, it has likely arrived. A friend goes to this area for 3 weeks each year and performs acoustic neuroma surgeries the entire time. Trip was cancelled this summer.

Where did the "only one vaccine come from"?

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/id...40731?irpc=932
    Last edited by Dan Storts; 08-03-2014 at 05:58 PM.

Just having worked in a hospital setting as a RN all my life. I know how how easy some diseases and infections can spread. Think of influenza. It has been around a long time but can really do damage in a bad year!especially on the young and elderly. And we have vaccines for the flu but not for Ebola. That would be my concern and why I would worry about them coming here. There is no treatment and those that treat them are in jeopardy.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Eric,

Save your breath/fingertips......
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Johnson View Post
    The two agencies I mentioned have each a supply os the most horrible biologics. Smallpox for instance. While it was deemed eradicated for the past 15 years or so, there were recent cases. I'll bet the CDC inventory was pulled out of the freezer and checked and perhaps research started anew. The experimental ebola vaccine that they only had a single dose. That came from somewhere and it sure wasn't a lab in Nigeria. Those two sites are international treasures.

Again, the book by Richard Preston, The Hot Zone, is worth reading. A highly sensationalized version of an ebola outbreak in this country was covered in the movie Outbreak with Dustin Hoffman and Rene Russo.

This stuff is scary but the fact that we've got a whole group of folks dedicated to resolving these episodes should give us some hope ....rather than the snippy comments I'm seeing around the 'net.
    Yes they are great assets to the county. Hopefully they just know where everything is located. Remember these events over just the last 60-90 days. People's memories are so short.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...348_story.html
    Last edited by Dan Storts; 08-03-2014 at 09:04 PM.

Dayum,....
    Ebola, Smallpox, Sars, Mers, Denge, Black water fever, Malaria, Influenza, West Nile, Lyme disease, Typhoid, Tetanus, Leprosy, all the cancers... and so many others...I'm just glad this cold is finally going away.
    Something's gonna get you regards,
    JD
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by JDogger View Post
    Dayum,.....
    Something's gonna get you regards,
    JD
    Ayup,
    I worry more about tics under my dunlap that ebola in Atlanta.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

I heard you can get it from toilet seats or looking someone in the eye...

this is has got to be one of the dumbest threads of all time. Unless your swapping spit or blood with these people...your not getting infected. I worry more about some idiot with TB coughing up a lung on an airplane, than I do about these people being brought here under the systems in place.
    Last edited by Quacktastic; 08-04-2014 at 08:19 AM.

What about the 10s of thousands of Africans (from all the worst hit nations) descending on Washington D.C. this week? While I'm sure the generals and dictators are isolated from the ebola epidemics in their countries, what about the entourages they travel with? Spewing germs on planes and at festivities at Commerce, State, etc. Come to think of it, an ebola epidemic in D.C., might be just what Congress needs. Oh wait, they're on vacation... again.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981