The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any cat people on here? cat training? GDG

Default Any cat people on here? cat training? GDG

looking for some tips on cat training...yup - I said it... cat training.

Recently installed a cat door to let our cat have free access into the basement. It should enable her to escape the dog and new pup, plus let her just go do what ever cats do.

But we just can't seem to get her to push the flap open and go through! Initially when I saw that she wasn't going to push the flap open I decided to break it down and removed the flap to let her get used to it. No issues whatsoever. The cat was bouncing back and forth through the open hole instantly just for fun it seemed. I left it that way for a couple weeks to develop the habit of going through. Next I installed flap again. I started by propping the flap half open and trying to get her to push through. No luck. We've tried treats by placing treats on the edge of the flap and on the other side, pulling toys on a string through the door, placing her food on the other side, even just closed the door and left her there for a while. The most we can get is literally a sniff, and a slight push where the cat will come up and sniff the flap poke at it a little and thats it.

theres a reason I'm a dog person...

any ideas?

Slowly close the hole from the top down by using some cardboard duck tapped in place... until in time the hole is just able to be squeezed through.. you can make the cardboard be able to swing in the opening so the cat gets used to pushing a half closed hole open...

You could also leave a dish of dried kibble in the basement with water next to it, and make that the only place the cat can obtain food or water.
    I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Newf View Post
    looking for some tips on cat training...yup - I said it... cat training.
    isn't that an oxymoron?
    ​Laura

Can Ch UGRCH URO2 SHR Kelrobin Black Minx RA JH CD WC CGCA BN Can RN PCD CGN WC CD

Quote Originally Posted by Newf View Post
    any ideas?

Get rid of the cat, and get another dog/pup.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

Equal Opportunity Bigot

Quote Originally Posted by dorkweed View Post
    Get rid of the cat, and get another dog/pup.
    If it was solely my choice we would not have a cat in the first place. But with that said- the new pup is due home around the end of August.

Is the cat collar conditioned? What program are you following...
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

I have 3 cats, all rescued, they are 3,12, and 15 years old, for me the joy of owning cats is that there is no training required to enjoy them as pets. The older two rarely go out, the younger survived in her young life by hunting. She enjoys going out but is generally ready to come back in the house after 2-3 hours of stalking rats, mice, and lizards.

Quote Originally Posted by jd6400 View Post
    Is the cat collar conditioned? What program are you following...
    Love it!!!

Cats are moving dog toys.
    Steven

Nordahl's Queen of Spades (Sadie)

Nordahl's Dream in Extreme JH (Dixie)

Wild Meadow Retrievers

Good luck, we never got either of our 2 cats to push open the flap, had to just leave it off. We purchased a special gate for the kitchen that had a small cat size opening at the bottom. The gate confined the dogs, but allowed the cats through. Combined the gate with cat size hole in door to finished basement so the elderly cats had multiple escape routes from feisty puppies over the past years. Another solution is supersized hook and eye combo that holds a door open just enough to let cats through, but not dogs. This worked well where we did not want to permanently alter a door. Ours were indoor cats, current pup first one raised without resident cat. One thing you gotta say about cats, most of them sure know how to train a dog, our at least ours did
    Last edited by dogluvah; 08-02-2014 at 02:06 PM.

I think the slightly prop it open suggestion is your best one. We had a cat gate and just made it open permanently. the hole was too small for the dogs. I love my kitties. In fact, just added a five week old stray to the household on Wednesday.
    Carol

CH HRCH Rippling Waters Lagundo Sula MH - Sula
    GRHRCH Rippling Waters Talladega MH 500 Point Club - Tally
    HRCH Rippling Waters Capt. Marvel - Shazam
    HRCH UH Ambertrail's Bring The House MH 1,000 Point Club - Blitz
    GRHRCH UH Rippling Waters Daytona MH 500 Point Club - Day
    HRCH Rippling Waters Fire In The Hole MH