The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tennis Balls for retrieve training

I believe the dogs understand the difference between play and work. Tennis balls IMO are for play. A bond that continues to evolved.

I use them in training and never playing... As playing is when eating one might take place. I maintain the same standard with a tennis ball as I would a bumper or bird. They can be helpful for many things. I let mine sit in a bag of damp feathers and wings until they're good and smelly and I use them for scenting drills. I also use tennis balls and a tennis racket (my wife hits em) for teaching younger dogs to honor.

All of that said, I use them maybe 5% of the time.
    -Barton Ramsey

If people allow their dogs to chew and savage things in "play" a tennis ball will be the least of their worries. A very great deal of tennis ball work is applied in Spaniel training in the UK; it's standard operating procedure and well documented in the standard videos. They aren't a substitute for anything, just an addition to the normal bag of tools.

I fire them off a launcher making use of the powder smell to leave a trail especially in thick cover so the dog has to really get his nose working. In honouring I can throw them very accurately, close to the dogs; the rolling along gives added temptation. In an intensive session of sit, back, over, stop, recall, leave it, you can carry twenty in a game bag, no bother.

I have never heard of an accident.

Eug
    Last edited by Colonel Blimp; 08-05-2014 at 03:47 AM.
    Thank you, very kind, Mine's a pint.

When I was taking in dogs for training I would get ones that had never retrieved anything it seemed. I would use a tennis ball to build excitement and get them to chasing after it. The bouncing ball seemed to work better than a happy bumper. Sometimes I would cut a small slit in the ball and insert a pigeon wing.
    We didn't stay with the tennis ball very long.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quit using tennis balls after the first time I took my dog hunting. We were hunting out of a boat blind and he had no idea what was going on. Shot the first bird going overhead and it landed to left in swamp willows and cat tails. Sent the dog on a blind and then gave him a big over into the cover and yelled hunt it up after about 5 minutes he returned to the boat with a tennis ball there wasn't a house any where near us for over a mile. Resent him basically all the same and this time he came back with the duck. Made up my mind right then no more tennis balls.
    Would still love to know how that ball got where it was in the first place.
    Rest of the day went great except my buddy likes shooting birds behind also makes the dog work hard for his supper that day.

Quote Originally Posted by zeekster View Post
    Quit using tennis balls after the first time I took my dog hunting. We were hunting out of a boat blind and he had no idea what was going on. Shot the first bird going overhead and it landed to left in swamp willows and cat tails. Sent the dog on a blind and then gave him a big over into the cover and yelled hunt it up after about 5 minutes he returned to the boat with a tennis ball there wasn't a house any where near us for over a mile. Resent him basically all the same and this time he came back with the duck. Made up my mind right then no more tennis balls.
    Would still love to know how that ball got where it was in the first place.
    Rest of the day went great except my buddy likes shooting birds behind also makes the dog work hard for his supper that day.
    Would you feel any different if he brought back a bumper?

Thanks for all the replies and the info. I never thought that a tennis ball would be abrasive on the teeth. I use them, not a lot an usually for blinds. I will use them on marks with pups or for a "fun bumper". They travel well and don't take up much space. Dogs love them. Thanks again.
    Don