The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Judging question

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    Only replying because I didn't see where anyone mentioned the risk in this situation. That being the potential dog fight that could occur, causing injury and more consequences for one or both dogs.

Due to the risk of a dog fight, I see no problem with the working dog's handler IMMEDIATELY taking the dog off line in the event of the honor dog breaking. Safety first. I don't want two dogs trying to retrieve the same bird and getting into a fight in the process.

As a the working dog handler I'm going to get my dog OUT of that potentially bad situation ASAP by whatever means necessary.

If they happen to both break (honor dog first), then let the working dog play. He not only has to sit steady after breaking once (and potentially getting rewarded), but then he has to honor. Likelihood of him dropping himself in one or the other of those situations is very high. No need to get into a dispute with anyone over the rule (one man's break is another man's interference). Give the working dog benefit of the doubt and save yourself the Monday morning QBing on RTF.

What's the worst thing that happens? The working dog passes? Likelihood of another dog failing for the exact same situation is very low, especially if they are all treated equitably. Very few chances for argument when another dog breaks from either position.

This is for HT only. In a FT any dog that breaks probably has no chance of contending for a ribbon and thus, should be dropped.
    Agree....I said this back on post 26...
    The dog will always prove you wrong

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    You got me Ed; I used an absolute in saying that there are NO absolutes.

My point was that there is ALMOST always a grey area that requires some judgement as to constitutes a violation. I believe this would pertain to all of your examples listed above except for 1 & 7
    Not to further hijack the thread but I don't follow your post #66.
    I have seen circumstances that would, IMO, absolve the dog for some of the listed disqualifications. #7 An un-shot flyer that sneaks away w/o anyone realizing it? Yes, a good hunting dog should chase down a cripple, but a bird w/o blood scent that runs through a field of previously shot flyers is not, IMO, a fair test for the dog. #6-I noted in an earlier post a working dog that was bumped - and bumped hard - by the breaking honor dog. Was it fair to drop the WD?
    As for the rest I can't come up with any passable excuses, stuff happens. And judges need to be aware of situations that might require consideration for the dog.
    But that's just my opinion and worth exactly what you paid for it.

I'm not sure whether I'm more disheartened or frightened for the sport.
    3 days, 70 posts later and there are still arguments for allowing a break in a Master test.
    Save the trees. Don't print rulebooks.

And then people wonder why there are 1769 dogs qualified for the MN
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Littlejohn View Post
    3 days, 70 posts later and there are still arguments for allowing a break in a Master test.

I don't see many if any arguing for a break being acceptable. I have heard folks say there are times dogs break, get thrown out & had there been competent & alert judging the situations might have been different....
    David Didier, GA

Quote Originally Posted by dexdoolittle View Post
    And then people wonder why there are 1769 dogs qualified for the MN
    801 so far this year. Where did the other 968 come from?

Quote Originally Posted by Granddaddy View Post
    I don't see many if any arguing for a break being acceptable. I have heard folks say there are times dogs break, get thrown out & had there been competent & alert judging the situations might have been different....
    Would you prefer I had said a break being "excused"? I see plenty of posts suggesting that interference should merit a rerun for a working dog that breaks. (See #'s 26 & 70). If that's not suggesting that there are circumstances wherein a break is acceptable, then I suppose my reading comprehension could use some work.

Would you prefer I had said a break being "excused"? I see plenty of posts suggesting that interference should merit a rerun for a working dog that breaks. (See #'s 26 & 70). If that's not suggesting that there are circumstances wherein a break is acceptable, then I suppose my reading comprehension could use some work.

Apparently so, if 2 posts out of 78 are considered a lot.........
    David Didier, GA

I think without reading back through every post there was a consensus that for the most part both dogs would be dropped. There were a few, not a majority, trying to envision some extreme circumstance where interference could be interpreted. This is typical RTF where we dwell on the 1% exception to what happens 99% of the time.

The other 968 came from Sarcasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Dogs View Post
    801 so far this year. Where did the other 968 come from?