The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: % of non-hunter handlers?

For me, it's all about duck hunting. I can recall going one time without my dog in the last 5 or 6 years. It's not the same without a dog & I'm just not all about chasing cripples or even wading to get the ducks. Most people that I know who run FTs, also hunt. Whether a handler decides to hunt is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. The real travesty is when the dogs don't get to go hunting. Say what you want, I believe they love the real thing much more. Shoot a few mallards up close & personal or have them chase a cripple in a cypress lake or field and you'll see how happy the can really get. Again, that's just my opinion.

I enjoy waterfowl hunting with a trained retriever ,I don't enjoy hunting with a half a$$ dog because I've hunted with some good dogs. Some of my favorite parts of hunting are looking into the eyes of the dog following a flock of circling birds and knowing I don't even need to look up to know what corner they are on or watching the intensity in the dogs eyes when the bird is floating on top the water and waiting to exploded when they are sent or when one sails into the cattails and the dog makes it look easy. Hunting brought me to this sport and if I had to choose it would take priority over playing the games ,but I enjoy training knowing that come hunting season my dog has the physical and mental abilities to make hunting look easy.
    I hope to one day personally help bust the myth that you can't hunt with a field champion,but don't need 5 ribbons to tell me my dog is a master hunter.

You want to see a diversion in a hunting setup ,pull a little Debbie wrapper from your bag ....that's a diversion !
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Love your comments and it's all so true, best diversion is what ever your snacking on. There is one thing about hunting I have never owned a dog yet that didn't know what was going to happen when I moved that safety. Wish I could hunt more for my dogs but health problems can affect that. How about a test at hunt test where you fire 3 shots and you buddy fires three and you say sit tight we got nothing.
    I don't understand why it is only hunt test dogs are expected to hunt, wasn't that what field trials were originally designed for, in both case's we have gone beyond what is need in a meat dog.
    The thing I find is the biggest lie is they say that HRC, AKC, NAHRA and CKC events are judged on a standard and there not competing against each other biggest bunch of bull crap I ever heard, especially when you here some one say my dog did better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    I believe the camo fashion show that is HRC is just a 'status' symbol and that a flyer is like a virus to be avoided.

You just need to get out of N.Cackalacky. Flyers are pretty common in region 2. Where are he Myth Busters when you need them?-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

In the VDD system you must produce a valid hunting license to enter a test as part of your requirement.
    Don

I hope to one day personally help bust the myth that you can't hunt with a field champion,but don't need 5 ribbons to tell me my dog is a master hunter.

Tom Quinn's book The Working Retriever (in addition to gorgeous artwork) has stories about how he got into the retriever training game. It was always about hunting for him. His story about his FC Dr. Davy PhD is worth the price of the book.

Quote Originally Posted by shawninthesticks View Post
    I enjoy waterfowl hunting with a trained retriever ,I don't enjoy hunting with a half a$$ dog because I've hunted with some good dogs. Some of my favorite parts of hunting are looking into the eyes of the dog following a flock of circling birds and knowing I don't even need to look up to know what corner they are on or watching the intensity in the dogs eyes when the bird is floating on top the water and waiting to exploded when they are sent or when one sails into the cattails and the dog makes it look easy. Hunting brought me to this sport and if I had to choose it would take priority over playing the games ,but I enjoy training knowing that come hunting season my dog has the physical and mental abilities to make hunting look easy.

You want to see a diversion in a hunting setup ,pull a little Debbie wrapper from your bag ....that's a diversion !
    This is my opinion also. I like the games, but hunting is first for me. I cannot find anything to be more fun than to be in a blind with my little lab and a few good buddies.....

I must say, I think it is a good thing that non-hunters participate in hunt tests. Hunting faces a lot of negative publicity, and when people get exposed to the sport through dogs that is a great thing (dogs and people tends to a positive and powerful connection). I run an upland hunt test organization, and we get so many newcomers because they love to see the dogs do their thing, so if hunt tests keep growing in popularity I see this as a great thing and very educational. The more we learn about dogs (genetics, training, etc), the closer we get to educating people about how to get great dogs. Perfect world thinking; people will learn about where to get good dogs, who to learn from when it comes to care and training, and the poor quality breeding and training programs will slowly lose customers based on education! Just a thought!

I love to go duck hunting. I started when we got our first dog which we bought for hunting(didn't know about hunt test). I orginially started hunting to go watch the dog but love going. I do not always hit what I shoot at but who cares. I wish my husband and I could go more often but no lease and he goes doing week days on public areas and I cannot go. Of course he would shoot me if I picked up a duck call.
    I do believe you can take any well trained hunting dog hunting no mater what venue they run. The hunt test are great to keep them active thoughout the year.
    As far as camo with HRC, yes some judges go a little too far, but it is all fun so who cares what you have to wear.

My opinion may change if I ever earn a blue while running with the big dogs
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "