The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: % of non-hunter handlers?

Quote Originally Posted by 1tulip View Post
    I asked the question because I wondered if I was the odd man out, and if being a non-hunter hurt my credibility. But obviously, the insecurity I might have felt is totally baseless and says more about me than the people who run HT's.

Hunting is just not in my repertoire. I might be able to hit a duck with a bit of practice, since I used to shoot skeet with my dad. But we never had to wake up before sparrow fart and sit in the freezing pre-dawn darkness waiting for a flock of skeet to fly in. So I'll just stick with the dog-training part of the sport.
    Well, that's what dove hunting is for. I'm not much of a duck hunter, don't really like the way they taste, and not much of a morning person in general, but I will say that one can see some magical things in the marsh at dawn. You would be amazed at how far a flock of white pelicans can glide when taking advantage of "ground effect" just a few inches above the water, and if you have never heard the wind whistling through the wings of teal in a highspeed glide, you have missed something truly special.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

What do you suppose the percentages are of HT folks who have never hunted and don't want to hunt (or just can't hit anything aimed at) who nevertheless love running the dogs at HT's (or FT's)?

Related Question: How many women discovered retriever work because hubby brought home a hunting dog he never had time to train?
    I am a hunt tester who has never hunted (although I go along on pheasant hunts to help with the dogs and take pictures.) Went to my first hunt test after being encouraged to check it out since we had just bought a nice chessie pup. I just loved seeing the dogs work, and how much they enjoyed it. 4 years later, I am working on my gun handling so I can run HRC too, and am even considering trying out the pheasant hunting for myself this winter. I would love to try duck hunting too, but it's kind of slim pickins around here for ducks.

As for your second question, since I started our puppy out hunt testing, my husband has begun to hunt again. Win-win!
    Pam
    HR Roughwater Stacked & Packed, "Babe," MH, CD, RN, CGC, WDQ

From Louisiana and I've been hunting my whole life! Never had a dog of my own to hunt with so figured I would try training one for hunting! Well after I had success and all of my buddies back home we're doing ht/FT I figured I would give it a try! Well now I'm hooked like a big ol white perch... I still love hunting way more but I must say I've met some pretty nice people at hunt test! Seems like most of everyone in the dog game is pretty friendly and willing to help another person out! The test are fun but the thrill of watching a group of big ducks cup on top of you... You can't ever beat that with a stick.

I asked the question because I wondered if I was the odd man out, and if being a non-hunter hurt my credibility. But obviously, the insecurity I might have felt is totally baseless and says more about me than the people who run HT's.

Hunting is just not in my repertoire. I might be able to hit a duck with a bit of practice, since I used to shoot skeet with my dad. But we never had to wake up before sparrow fart and sit in the freezing pre-dawn darkness waiting for a flock of skeet to fly in. So I'll just stick with the dog-training part of the sport.
    I can understand a little insecurity about it but it really is totally baseless. Most folks will never know one way or another and even if they do, will appreciate good dog work regardless of the other avocations of the handler. There may be one or two along the way who will somehow feel you are not worthy if you don't hunt, but there are douches in every crowd. Don't worry about it. Train and run your dog.

All of this talk about hot cups of coffee in the blind, watching the sun come up over the tree line, and that sweet smell of wet dog is getting me all kinds of excited for season to get here. Only couple weeks left until the blue rockets come screaming past. And if you have ever hunted with your dog and miss they can give you a look that will make a good buddies ribbing seem innocent. Bring on the ducks!!!
    Lone Oak's Marley Man.. (My first)

Quote Originally Posted by Brettttka View Post
    All of this talk about hot cups of coffee in the blind, watching the sun come up over the tree line, and that sweet smell of wet dog is getting me all kinds of excited for season to get here. Only couple weeks left until the blue rockets come screaming past. And if you have ever hunted with your dog and miss they can give you a look that will make a good buddies ribbing seem innocent. Bring on the ducks!!!
    Can I get an Amen brother.......almost nothing in the world I like more than sitting in the blind with my pup. He gets way more jacked for real hunting than a test and yet stays reasonably calm at the same time......a real conundrum.

I hunt a lot. I always have. Going on about 37 years worth. The words "You're insane" often times come out of my wife's mouth from October-February.

If you enjoy hunting your dog, have fun…….. If you enjoy only Hunt Tests, have fun………. If you enjoy both, have fun…………. That's all that matters.

Personally, I do both.

Steve
    "Are you a good witch, or a bad witch ?" Glinda, the good witch of the North.

started out as a hunter wanting a dog to pick up ducks then discovered the HRC tests and ran started and was hooked from then on. But still a hunter but the hunting has changed a bit i would rather take the dog and no gun if i was told we could drop a 3-4 man limit of ducks for the dog to pick up dont get me wrong i love shooting birds but nothing beats the dog quitely whining as ducks are circling and you want to talk amped let the ducks start landing on the water 30 yards in front of the dog.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    I believe the camo fashion show that is HRC is just a 'status' symbol and that a flyer is like a virus to be avoided.
    There was a flyer at Great Lakes HRC this year. It was fabulous! Wish they would do more. And yes camo overkill as usual!IMO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

There are some very good word-crafters on this site. I would like to compliment the writing. You guys can be very inspiring.