The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 67

Thread: AKC to HRC

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lindenhurst, IL
    Posts
    45

    Default AKC to HRC

    I have a dog with an AKC Senior Title, and now have 3 master passes. I train wtih a few HRC guys and wanted to start playing in HRC as well. I am considering which level to begin at. Conceptually, we are running master level pretty well, but of course the format differences have me wondering if maybe we should begin at the seasoned level for the dog to get used to marking with no call from the gunner station, shooting from the line, etc. Has anyone else started HRC after AKC? Did you start with seasoned to try and get the dog acclimated to another fomat or did you go to Finished right away?

    I know the dog can do the work, but again, just curious how anyone else's experience has gone. We do train both ways, and actually the dog tends to crouch sometimes out of excitement (not vocal, doesn't creep much, but does crouch), and I am thinking that the HRC format will help reduce that with the absence of calling/shooting from the gunner station.

    Curious on some feedback! Thanks everyone.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Karen Klotthor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Slidell , LA
    Posts
    838

    Default

    I would just go for finish if you already have master passes. Biggest difference for me is shooting at the line excites my dog a lot more than in master where shots are in the field. There might not be any noise in the field, but must clubs use wingers and the dogs can here them. Also you can talk to your dog so if dog does not swing with the gun you can say here or heal to get them to turn or pull. HRC is more like hunting since you and your hunting partner (honor) are both working together. Just make sure you train with you using the duck call and shooting and get the dog use to following the gun. Most of the time you will be sitting so dog will be on the save level as you and the gun.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lindenhurst, IL
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Karen Klotthor View Post
    I would just go for finish if you already have master passes. Biggest difference for me is shooting at the line excites my dog a lot more than in master where shots are in the field. There might not be any noise in the field, but must clubs use wingers and the dogs can here them. Also you can talk to your dog so if dog does not swing with the gun you can say here or heal to get them to turn or pull. HRC is more like hunting since you and your hunting partner (honor) are both working together. Just make sure you train with you using the duck call and shooting and get the dog use to following the gun. Most of the time you will be sitting so dog will be on the save level as you and the gun.
    Karen, good points and thank you for your input. I agree with you, being able to talk to the dog should make everything doable for my dog, especially since triples and blinds is what we are currently doing. Thanks again!

  4. #4
    Senior Member M&K's Retrievers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Royse City, TX
    Posts
    5,197

    Default

    I think the biggest changes will be for you as handler. You might want to run one Seasonsed test for experience then on to Finished. If the dog hunts, he will be fine.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

    Mike Whitworth

  5. #5
    Senior Member Pam Spears's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Western Colorado
    Posts
    712

    Default

    We are doing just that this year. Our 5 year old male, with multiple master passes at the start of the season (and a handler who has hunted and shot all his life) went straight into Finished and has passed 6 in a row. Going to HRC training days a couple of times was all he needed to transition to the difference in procedure. Our 3 year old bitch with multiple master passes at the start of the season (handled by me, very limited gun handling) completed 2 seasoned tests our first weekend, so that I could get used to the gun handling, and I needed it (but she didn't.) She stood there with her marked bird in her mouth waiting good naturedly while I fumbled with the shell for the diversion shot, then delivered her mark and picked up her diversion. The look on her face was priceless. Last weekend she earned 2 finished passes easily in spite of me. So if you have master passes and the opportunity to train a couple of times with your HRC friends, I'd say just go for finished, especially if you're already comfortable with handling the gun.
    Pam
    HR Roughwater Stacked & Packed, "Babe," MH, CD, RN, CGC, WDQ

  6. #6
    Senior Member Jeff Brezee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SE MN
    Posts
    111

    Default

    I would say start with Seasoned. It may seem more basic for you, but it may help for you and your dog to transition (shooting from the line, gun safety is huge! and being on the bucket.) You'll need 7 finished to title or 4 seasoned and 4 finished for both titles. Start with success. If your dog gets excited (crouching), just wait until you get an "in your face" water triple starting with you blowing on the duck call and shooting from the line! (Once we got wet from the splash during an honor!) It's a different game but it is fun!
    Jeff Brezee

    HR MHR Brezee Oak's Brother Bear MH "Bear"
    HR Brezee Oak's Keep to the Code SH "Jasmine"

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lindenhurst, IL
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pam Spears View Post
    We are doing just that this year. Our 5 year old male, with multiple master passes at the start of the season (and a handler who has hunted and shot all his life) went straight into Finished and has passed 6 in a row. Going to HRC training days a couple of times was all he needed to transition to the difference in procedure. Our 3 year old bitch with multiple master passes at the start of the season (handled by me, very limited gun handling) completed 2 seasoned tests our first weekend, so that I could get used to the gun handling, and I needed it (but she didn't.) She stood there with her marked bird in her mouth waiting good naturedly while I fumbled with the shell for the diversion shot, then delivered her mark and picked up her diversion. The look on her face was priceless. Last weekend she earned 2 finished passes easily in spite of me. So if you have master passes and the opportunity to train a couple of times with your HRC friends, I'd say just go for finished, especially if you're already comfortable with handling the gun.
    Thanks Pam, I am comfortable with the gun, and hope my transition goes as nicely as yours did! Congrats!

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lindenhurst, IL
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brezee View Post
    I would say start with Seasoned. It may seem more basic for you, but it may help for you and your dog to transition (shooting from the line, gun safety is huge! and being on the bucket.) You'll need 7 finished to title or 4 seasoned and 4 finished for both titles. Start with success. If your dog gets excited (crouching), just wait until you get an "in your face" water triple starting with you blowing on the duck call and shooting from the line! (Once we got wet from the splash during an honor!) It's a different game but it is fun!
    Jeff, valid points. What is the rule on running one of each? For example, seasoned on saturday, finished on sunday. Is that ok? If I do pass finsihed however, then seasoned is no longer an option, correct?

  9. #9
    Junior Member doverstreet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Starkville, MS
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Incorrect, see page 10 of the rule book. Points in seasoned or finished count towards an HR title.

  10. #10
    Junior Member doverstreet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Starkville, MS
    Posts
    21

    Default

    You will see some HRCH dogs running in lower stakes, often times with a young or inexperienced handler.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •